Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2001 RS Camaro

to supercharge or not?

So I want more response out of my car but don't have the money to do an LS1 swap. I was considering putting a supercharger or turbo in it but I want some feedback before I make my decision. What all is involved in installing a supercharger?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by transamgirl89 View Post
    So I want more response out of my car but don't have the money to do an LS1 swap. I was considering putting a supercharger or turbo in it but I want some feedback before I make my decision. What all is involved in installing a supercharger?
    Depends on what setup you go with really..

You'll need a fuel system upgrade including injectors for sure.. Depending on setup again you may need to change pistons too. There will be other variables to consider aswell.. Tuning... It all boils down to setup and goals.. Rule of thumb cheap and FI rarely go together.. Even an l67 top swap will cut into some bucks..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

See that's where I get confused. I don't know what setup options there are and I don't know how to do it at all. I just know I want more power and something cheaper than what it would cost to buy a V8.

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I haven't priced it out lately, but from what I remember wouldn't the cost of adding a super/turbo charger end up being similar to the cost of an LS1?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Schmalgar View Post
    I haven't priced it out lately, but from what I remember wouldn't the cost of adding a super/turbo charger end up being similar to the cost of an LS1?
    but just for the ls1 engine. A v6 to v8 swap is an enormous under taking.. Many things would need changed.. For the price of about half the ls swap you could build a 3800 into the same numbers and be lighter.. Say between 2 and 3k~ish.. Also you'd need a y87 car for the swap honestly to be slightly cheaper.. Y87 come with z28 drive train.. WHile the 10-bolt is'nt the best, putting an ls1 to a standard v6 axle would be like pulling the pin on a granade and taping it to your back..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-21-2010 at 03:51 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    but just for the ls1 engine. A v6 to v8 swap is an enormous under taking.. Many things would need changed.. For the price of about half the ls swap you could build a 3800 into the same numbers and be lighter.. Say between 2 and 3k~ish.. Also you'd need a y87 car for the swap honestly to be slightly cheaper.. Y87 come with z28 drive train.. WHile the 10-bolt is'nt the best, putting an ls1 to a standard v6 axle would be like pulling the pin on a granade and taping it to your back..
    Oh and yeah we can break the auburn too.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

See that's where I get confused. I don't know what setup options there are and I don't know how to do it at all. I just know I want more power and something cheaper than what it would cost to buy a V8.
    I guess the "easiest" would be a centrifical blower.. You can more easily make space for it and less changes would have to be made mechanically..

A single spool will take up quite abit more space that is already limited for ALL of us wheather v8-v6..

Twins would be even more difficult and complex..

If you're just looking to wake it up and not go crazy, then I'd PM Freak v6..

Get the low down on his cam specs and changes required for a strong N/A tuned 3800 car..

Spend $600 on a new set of heads and work them..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-21-2010 at 04:03 PM.

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

It would probably be cheaper to sell the V6 and buy a V8 camaro. I don't think anyone makes FI for the 3800 so you'd probably have to buy a universal kit and fabricate it which costs a lot unless you can do it yourself

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by garner View Post
    It would probably be cheaper to sell the V6 and buy a V8 camaro. I don't think anyone makes FI for the 3800 so you'd probably have to buy a universal kit and fabricate it which costs a lot unless you can do it yourself
    FI is usually based on goals rather than just a strait bolt on.. Each application requires different types of FI and again each will be different depending on setup.. One would have to look @ their goals and their ability to spend money on their goal also..

A universal kit would work too.. However those kits do not contain everything you'll need..

Yes selling the 6er and buying a v8 is always an option.. But dis be da v6 section..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-21-2010 at 04:20 PM.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Yeah try convincing my dad on that one. I found a 98 TA for 8k with 39,000 miles on it and my dad decided to be an ass and won't let me sell my car. He said going from what I have now to a 98 V8 with half the miles is a DOWNGRADE????!!!!! He's saying no because he's worried about parts being avaliable and what not.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

This is just SOME of what comes in a UV kit.. Again it does NOT contain everything..

Click for full size

White
    2001 RS Camaro

This is just SOME of what comes in a UV kit.. Again it does NOT contain everything..

Click for full size
    So this is what you're doing to your 6? What kit did you get and how did you choose the best setup? Cost?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Yeah try convincing my dad on that one. I found a 98 TA for 8k with 39,000 miles on it and my dad decided to be an ass and won't let me sell my car. He said going from what I have now to a 98 V8 with half the miles is a DOWNGRADE????!!!!! He's saying no because he's worried about parts being avaliable and what not.
    Parts will be availible for a long time to come.. People like us @ this site are why..

2011 Genesis coupe 2.0T

It sort of is cause you're going from a 2001 to a 1998. But when you think about it, a V8 is a higher trim sort of so it's an upgrade. Tell him there's a lot of parts for a LS1 due to it being in the corvette, f-body and gto

White
    2008 Hummer H3

So this is what you're doing to your 6? What kit did you get and how did you choose the best setup? Cost?
    This is not for the Camaro.. It's for my other project.. The kit is a cheap kit for prototype reasons. I chose it based on my325~ 350~375 FWHP goal..

But here ya go..

2 X T3/T4 TURBO CHARGERS .50 A/R COMPRESSOR - .63 A/R TURBINE - 57 COMPRESSOR WHEEL TRIM.
    Mirage Power Balanced and blue printed turbos.
    2X WASTE GATE SET AT 7-8 PSI
    1X RS TYPE BLOW OFF VALVE.
    2 X BOOST CONTROLLERS.
    2 X OIL FEED LINE KIT- OIL RESTRICTOR.
    TURBO PIPING / INTERCOOLER PIPING KIT - 6061 ALUMINUM -2.5 INCH DIAMETER PIPING KIT.
    HIGH FLOW INTERCOOLER - SIZE : 28" X 8" X 2.5" WITH 2.5' INCH INLET/OUTLET
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-21-2010 at 05:27 PM.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

It sort of is cause you're going from a 2001 to a 1998. But when you think about it, a V8 is a higher trim sort of so it's an upgrade. Tell him there's a lot of parts for a LS1 due to it being in the corvette, f-body and gto
    I've tried. It's like talking to a brick wall. He's thinking about body panels and that sort. I've all but given up. He controls my insurance and the car is in my moms name to keep the rates down so I'm pretty much screwed. Damn I wish I had the money!

White
    2001 RS Camaro

This is not for the Camaro.. It's for my other project.. The kit is a cheap kit for prototype reasons. I chose it based on my325~ 350~375 FWHP goal..

But here ya go..

2 X T3/T4 TURBO CHARGERS .50 A/R COMPRESSOR - .63 A/R TURBINE - 57 COMPRESSOR WHEEL TRIM.
    Mirage Power Balanced and blue printed turbos.
    2X WASTE GATE SET AT 7-8 PSI
    1X RS TYPE BLOW OFF VALVE.
    2 X BOOST CONTROLLERS.
    2 X OIL FEED LINE KIT- OIL RESTRICTOR.
    TURBO PIPING / INTERCOOLER PIPING KIT - 6061 ALUMINUM -2.5 INCH DIAMETER PIPING KIT.
    HIGH FLOW INTERCOOLER - SIZE : 28" X 8" X 2.5" WITH 2.5' INCH INLET/OUTLET
    So what would you reccomend for my car?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If you have a loaded y87 Camaro your resale value will be higher than that of a base z28 from the same years..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

So what would you reccomend for my car?
    Well if your budget is limited I'd say go for a cam/headers/worked heads/tune like stated b4.. Much less work mechanically, and it will be a totally different car by way of buttdyno..
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-21-2010 at 05:12 PM.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

How do I know if it's a Y87 Camaro? You need my RPO codes?

Thread Information