2000pontiac6

stick with appearance?

The side of my bird was recently backed into and it was estimated $3500 in damage. Her insurance is covering it but while its in the shop should I have the rest of my body touched up or possibly buy the hood i've been wanting and get it all done at once to save on paint costs?(is he can buy it all at once in bulk) Or should I put in a cam or headers?

I know I'm going to be asked why put money into a V6 but if I just do appearance now I can swap it (the hood) onto a V8 if i ever get one.

Any opinions?

Hotrod
    So will the paint and body shiop hook you up to where the hood would be part of the insurance claim? If they can get you a new hood on the other persons insuarnce I'd do it. Of course headers and cam are sure nice!

If you're paying for all this out of pocket, I would buy headers and a cam. Better to look slow and be fast, then to look fast and be slow! I had Pacesetter headers and a Comp Cam VS-Cam. Sounded awesome and added a good amount of HP.
    Last edited by Hotrod; 02-08-2006 at 06:34 AM.

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    So will the paint and body shiop hook you up to where the hood would be part of the insurance claim? If they can get you a new hood on the other persons insuarnce I'd do it. Of course headers and cam are sure nice!

If you're paying for all this out of pocket, I would buy headers and a cam. Better to look slow and be fast, then to look fast and be slow! I had Pacesetter headers and a Comp Cam VS-Cam. Sounded awesome and added a good amount of HP.
    No I don't think I could set that up with the shop I just meant it might cost less to get the paint at one time.
    How much hp did you get from the headers and cam? How much did it end up costin you after they were in?

Hotrod
    Oh I see what you mean. I can't remeber pricing on my stuff, but the cam did add quite a bit of power but it will efffect your gas mileage if you care about that stuff. The cam I got from www.zzperformance.com just search under the Grand Prix (same engine just different car). I bought the VS cam because you don't have to replace any other parts like the springs, lifters, ect, plus you don't have to get a tune. The only other thing you would need are all the gaskets and you can get those from your local Chevy dealership. I know you'll need valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, timing chain cover gasket, water pump gaskets, and I know I'm missing a few others but you get the idea.

2000pontiac6
    Oh I see what you mean. I can't remeber pricing on my stuff, but the cam did add quite a bit of power but it will efffect your gas mileage if you care about that stuff. The cam I got from www.zzperformance.com just search under the Grand Prix (same engine just different car). I bought the VS cam because you don't have to replace any other parts like the springs, lifters, ect, plus you don't have to get a tune. The only other thing you would need are all the gaskets and you can get those from your local Chevy dealership. I know you'll need valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, timing chain cover gasket, water pump gaskets, and I know I'm missing a few others but you get the idea.
    Thanks for the info... Do you know any numbers fur the horsepower gain you got? Hows it sound? I get what I consider really bad gasmilage as it is tho.. how much did it effect this?

Hotrod
    I don't have anything as far as numbers, I gave everything away when I sold the car. It sounded really good especially with the headers and the cut-outs. It definately has a lopey idle. I guess the gas milages probably isn't a big deal, plus my gas mileage was screwed anyways with the 3.73 gears and other mods I had. I loved the cam but it did throw the codes in my car since I had colder plugs and the headers but it would only come on after it idled for a while. It will also be a little hard to start after it sits for a while especially if it's cold. But it defiantely gave my car some serious "get-up-and-go".

If you wanna an inexpensive cam, this would be it since you don't need other parts. The only part you need is headers. Now the bad part is the installation! Good luck finding someone who can or wants to do it cause it is a pain in the a$$! I had a guy do it who knew how to change cams in a LS1 but it took him like 2 days to complete everything. Of course it was his first time to tear down a V6 so maybe you can find someone with some experience doing that intensive work.

If you only have money to do one thing, I personally would buy headers if you can't get the headers and cam at once. You can buy a cam first but it won't perform at it's full potential unless it can breath right. I bought my headers off of E-Bay. There's a company that sells PaceSetter headers. Just do a search for V6 Camaro Headers. It comes with everything you'll need. Only other thing you need with headers are a set of 90 degree plug wires. MSD makes some great ones. Otherwise the headers will fry your stock wires!
    Last edited by Hotrod; 02-09-2006 at 02:03 PM.

2000pontiac6
    I don't have anything as far as numbers, I gave everything away when I sold the car. It sounded really good especially with the headers and the cut-outs. It definately has a lopey idle. I guess the gas milages probably isn't a big deal, plus my gas mileage was screwed anyways with the 3.73 gears and other mods I had. I loved the cam but it did throw the codes in my car since I had colder plugs and the headers but it would only come on after it idled for a while. It will also be a little hard to start after it sits for a while especially if it's cold. But it defiantely gave my car some serious "get-up-and-go".

If you wanna an inexpensive cam, this would be it since you don't need other parts. The only part you need is headers. Now the bad part is the installation! Good luck finding someone who can or wants to do it cause it is a pain in the a$$! I had a guy do it who knew how to change cams in a LS1 but it took him like 2 days to complete everything. Of course it was his first time to tear down a V6 so maybe you can find someone with some experience doing that intensive work.

If you only have money to do one thing, I personally would buy headers if you can't get the headers and cam at once. You can buy a cam first but it won't perform at it's full potential unless it can breath right. I bought my headers off of E-Bay. There's a company that sells PaceSetter headers. Just do a search for V6 Camaro Headers. It comes with everything you'll need. Only other thing you need with headers are a set of 90 degree plug wires. MSD makes some great ones. Otherwise the headers will fry your stock wires!
    Great info THANKS! Did you get the ceramic coated headers? I've been debating if its worth the extra money. I will deffintely look into doing this... I wonder if a buddy and myself could install the cam...

So no idea on the cost ??
    Last edited by 2000pontiac6; 02-09-2006 at 06:32 PM.

Hotrod
    The ceramic coated headers (IMO) are just for looks. Yes they will cut down the amount of heat under the hood and they will look better but don't flow any better. I got the black ones, which as soon as you start the car the black will peel off and it will be a dull black color. Supposedly the headers on the V6 are difficult to put in also but I don't know cause I didn't do any of my own work. The biggest problem he had installing the cam was getting the timing chain to line up and then obviously the time it takes to tear down and reassemble everything. I paid the guy like $120.00 to install the cam which he said after that he'd never do it for that cheap again!

Thread Information