Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

So I decided to just rebuild my engine, where do I

This is a discussion on So I decided to just rebuild my engine, where do I within the V6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Smittro I will give you the tech.. You will be a master.. Sounds good lol. I guess ...

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I will give you the tech.. You will be a master..
    Sounds good lol. I guess this will be my unofficial unbuild/build thread haha

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix View Post
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Hey I've been eyeballing some cheap 3.4 firebirds on Craigslist and such. It doesn't matter if the car is automatic (since mine is a 5-speed) right? I should be able to hook up all my wiring/etc?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Hey I've been eyeballing some cheap 3.4 firebirds on Craigslist and such. It doesn't matter if the car is automatic (since mine is a 5-speed) right? I should be able to hook up all my wiring/etc?
    The 5spd ECM's pinouts are different in configuration than the auto.. It has few different pieces of curcuitry you can't use with the auto.. To switch over you'll need the auto flex plate too, ECM, damper pully, wire harness for it would help greatly.. On the engine side of it you can turn the motor into whatever configuration you need by simply changing a few things around.

3.4L OHV electrical...

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

Keep us updated

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Also, if you think you're maybe biting off more than you can chew.. As a novice you are looking @ some serious hours in just a stock build, baring any problems.. I've seen people give up too late, have their budget blown, and still not have an engine.. With that said...

There's always the used engine route too.. You can pick up a running 3.4 out of another f-body pretty easily and cheaply.. Find one that does'nt have a billion miles on it and you could then spend the left over cash on mods. Or whatever.. Just a solid bottom end alone is an excellent platform and can get you going today, plug and play.......
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-16-2010 at 06:18 AM.

Black
    1995 Firebird

So I've been busy since I last posted with getting ready for school/etc. I bought a shop crane, and engine stand over the weekend. Engine stand is put together, and crane is almost done (waiting for 2nd person to help me finish put it together as it requires 2 ppl). Also in other news...

Also, if you think you're maybe biting off more than you can chew.. As a novice you are looking @ some serious hours in just a stock build, baring any problems.. I've seen people give up too late, have their budget blown, and still not have an engine.. With that said...

There's always the used engine route too.. You can pick up a running 3.4 out of another f-body pretty easily and cheaply.. Find one that does'nt have a billion miles on it and you could then spend the left over cash on mods. Or whatever.. Just a solid bottom end alone is an excellent platform and can get you going today, plug and play.......
    See that bolded part of your post Smittro? Yeah look what I just picked up last night

Body is rough, and so is interior, but I mainly wanted the engine obviously. Firebird's engine pulling out is going on standstill (when I do pull it will probably sell for parts on whats good). I know I need to take a smart approach instead of wildly ripping stuff out like the Firebird so I know to label everything carefully. My question is Smittro, can you give me a list of EVERYTHING I need to keep for my Firebird from the Camaro, and the rest I can sit aside for storage to sell at another time or scrap as I can't keep this Camaro in my driveway long (city could complain, plus g/f isn't happy haha) and plan on parting out all the stuff asap and either selling the body as a roller or calling a junkyard to take it.

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

Whoo hooo! Parts car!!

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

Post you're parting it out, sell what you can then scrap it. Too bad the console is different

Black
    1995 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by mroby View Post
    Post you're parting it out, sell what you can then scrap it. Too bad the console is different
    I posted it several places (can't make a new thread of it here on LS1 for some reason..), and already have people interested. Crap! lol as i'd rather first try to sell the car whole minus the engine and related engine stuff I'm gonna take from it. On good news I was able to put together the shop crane tonight, and I bought a cheapie car cover so it's not such an eye sore in my driveway.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

If you pull the Camaro engine out in one piece half of what you'll need will be with the engine. You'll also need the rest of the engine compartment harness as well.. Just about everything between the 2 cars is interchangeable.. Disconnect the harnesses from the ECM only, detatch all the engine grounds, then pull the engine as a unit with it's harness intact.. Just be sure to seperate any harness anchors that maybe attached to the chassis.. Try to keep as much as possible connected = less labeling and frustration.. Once everything is in place, install the camaro cluster, ECM.. If changing it over to a m5 from an auto, you'll need the fly wheel off the old engine, and the damper, and thier bolts.. While you're in there, replace the clutch too..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-18-2010 at 07:28 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Changing from 5spd to auto:

Auto ECM
    harnesses
    cluster
    flexplate
    converter
    auto damper

Changing auto to 5spd..

Manual ECM
    harnesses
    cluster
    flywheel
    clutch kit
    pilot bearing
    manual damper

Black
    1995 Firebird

If you pull the Camaro engine out in one piece half of what you'll need will be with the engine. You'll also need the rest of the engine compartment harness as well.. Just about everything between the 2 cars is interchangeable.. Disconnect the harnesses from the ECM only, detatch all the engine grounds, then pull the engine as a unit with it's harness intact.. Just be sure to seperate any harness anchors that maybe attached to the chassis.. Try to keep as much as possible connected = less labeling and frustration.. Once everything is in place, install the camaro cluster, ECM.. If changing it over to a m5 from an auto, you'll need the fly wheel off the old engine, and the damper, and thier bolts.. While you're in there, replace the clutch too..
    The Camaro is ALSO a 5-speed as is the Firebird, so do I need the ECM still? Why do I need the gauge cluster, why can't I have mine (prefer it as it's my firebird one with the correct mileage and everything)??? Also what else do I need to buy to hook the engine to the shop crane as it just has a single chain & hook hanging from it? Gonna start disconnecting and and labeling things tomorrow on the Camaro.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The Camaro is ALSO a 5-speed as is the Firebird, so do I need the ECM still? Why do I need the gauge cluster, why can't I have mine (prefer it as it's my firebird one with the correct mileage and everything)??? Also what else do I need to buy to hook the engine to the shop crane as it just has a single chain & hook hanging from it? Gonna start disconnecting and and labeling things tomorrow on the Camaro.
    Obviously there is'nt anything to change then. I must have missed where you said the donor car was a 5spd too..I guess I should have looked better, my bad.. Not much to do really.. Just pull one and exchange it for the other.. Nothing else to change really..

In most cases the picker chain is supposed to be attached to the engines factory hoist loops @ each of it's ends.. Then you hook the picker's hook in the middle of the engine chain and raise it..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-18-2010 at 09:40 PM.

Black
    1995 Firebird

Obviously there is'nt anything to change then. I must have missed where you said the donor car was a 5spd too..I guess I should have looked better, my bad.. Not much to do really.. Just pull one and exchange it for the other.. Nothing else to change really..

In most cases the picker chain is supposed to be attached to the engines factory hoist loops @ each of it's ends.. Then you hook the picker's hook in the middle of the engine chain and raise it..
    Smittro I'm a rookie remember lol so I didn't get what you mean on the crane part? Where is the factory loops, and I only have one hook coming off my shop crane (can get a pic later), so do I need to buy some more chains with hooks at a hardware store?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Smittro I'm a rookie remember lol so I didn't get what you mean on the crane part? Where is the factory loops, and I only have one hook coming off my shop crane (can get a pic later), so do I need to buy some more chains with hooks at a hardware store?
    Okay here's one of my pickers with the chain how I do it.. First off I use these hardened threaded links, they're safer than just hooks..
    You can get these @ the hardware..

Then run your chain through like this...

Then attach your loops in the appropriate spot to take up chain slack. I try to get the boom as close to the engine as I can for lifting and easier maneuverablility(sp)..
    Any place where you can safely "hook" to on the engine in a crisscross pattern.. There's a loop on the left (facing engine) cylinder head @ the rear.. If your engine does'nt have the front loop, find a solid place to anchor the chain through one of it's links.. The anchor point should not be put in a place where the bolt etc. could break or the engine can slip....
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-19-2010 at 08:00 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Black
    1995 Firebird

I'll be hopefully going to the hardware store today to pick up a chain, and the two hardened hooks you showed. Also do you know what size bolts (4 of them) I need to attach the engine to the engine stand when I get to that point?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'll be hopefully going to the hardware store today to pick up a chain, and the two hardened hooks you showed. Also do you know what size bolts (4 of them) I need to attach the engine to the engine stand when I get to that point?
    I believe they're 18mm.. Best take one of the bolts with you to the hardware and match it's threads up with long (hardened bolts are a must) "carrage" bolts.. Make sure they're long enough to grab the threads good, and stressing hardened bolts here, or your engine up pull the threads off the bolt and be laying on the floor or your feet like right now..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-20-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information