Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

shooting for 275 hp with cam and porting

Here is the 3.8 i just got done building for a customer. I do mostly ls1 and sbc but have attracted some 3.8 projects along the way and am kinda surprised and excited with little motor. I'll be putting it back into a 97 camaro very soon will keep you guys updated. I'm also adding 3 inch exaust, cold air intake and i'm building 3.73 rear with lsd is going together right now. Its auto and will be getting shift kit and stall soon therafter. After break in customer is considering 75-100 wet shot perhaps! than it might make a few v8 a little nervous! I've heard this cam though and it has a sick lope to it, people will have to do the double take to hear its just a six with a big lope!
    It features:

1.0 mm overbore
    new pistons, rings bearings seals fully rebuilt
    Comp 210/220 .512 .512 Custom Ground Roller Cam from Abbott racing
    comp 915 beehive springs #105 and ls1 retainers good for .600 lift
    teflon valve seals
    felpro head gaskets
    comp hardened reusable rocker bolts
    Pacecetter mid length headers and 3 inch y pipe
    fully ported and matched upper and lower intake cuccaro motorsports
    ported throttle body
    custom tsp computer tune
    Fully rebuilt cylinder heads nonported with valve guides machined down for clearance
    let me know what you guys think
    heres some pics
    http://www.msnusers.com/CuccaroMotor...oto&PhotoID=17
    http://www.msnusers.com/CuccaroMotor...ox.msnw?Page=1
    http://www.msnusers.com/CuccaroMotor...hoto&PhotoID=3
    http://www.msnusers.com/CuccaroMotor...hoto&PhotoID=9
    http://www.msnusers.com/CuccaroMotor...oto&PhotoID=16
    http://www.msnusers.com/CuccaroMotor...oto&PhotoID=14
    http://www.msnusers.com/CuccaroMotor...hoto&PhotoID=5
    http://www.msnusers.com/CuccaroMotor...hoto&PhotoID=2
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 05-09-2008 at 11:25 PM.

White Bird, Red Camaro
    91' Bird, 02' Camaro

Can you really gain 55 hp by just port matching and camming that engine? I noticed no head work was done. Raise the rev limiter and see if you got HP up there, those new springs should help you get there.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by KennethS View Post
    Can you really gain 55 hp by just port matching and camming that engine? I noticed no head work was done. Raise the rev limiter and see if you got HP up there, those new springs should help you get there.
    This is the first one that i've done, so well see. Also have headers and ported tb, and have tsp tune to raise limiter and recalibrate a/f and timing. Ol boy from abbot put down 276 ish to the wheels with same combo but with ported heads. My combo should be down from that about 35 hp without heads which could put me in the 240 rwhp area which would equate to about 275 at flywheel. Wanted to do head porting also but kid couldnt afford it but i'm gona do my firebird all out. I dont know if kid is gona have it dynoed but if he does i'll post numbers. I have the engine all together about to drop in car, ill post some more pics up.
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 05-13-2008 at 10:22 AM.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

here it is running in car with open pacecetters, has great idle lope, i was pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 05-26-2008 at 09:50 AM.

red
    2000 camaro

how do you raise the rev limiter?

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

as far as I know you have to have either tuning software yourself or pay someone to tune. I have texas speed do all my tunes until I can afford software cause they give me and my customers a great deal thats hard to beat for a really good tune.

red
    2000 camaro

hmm.. i believe the only place where i live only does dodge and ford trucks/cars. i'd probably have to go somewhere far away for my car. i live in a really small town where everyone that "races" has a mustang

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

yea no where here either I actually send my computers to tsp for mail order tune based off cam that I have.

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

I just finished camming a car with what sounds like the same cam, headers were already installed. You can expaect about 250whp without head porting.
    3.4/3500 Twin Turbo almost complete
    I have CNC machines, contact me if you need something. 3500 top ends available.

-John

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

awesome thats bout what I was figuring! Good job on those v6 motors you guys did.

red
    2000 camaro

i don't really even know how to do computer stuff in cars. i'm a PC technician; i'm sure it's way different haha but sounds like you're in a small town like i am, right?

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

yes out here in las cruces new mexico small city about an hour north of el paso texas. Good thing is though im the only one specializing in ls1 and 3.8 in the area so its kinda nice!
    Soon I will be able to afford to have my own multi liscense software as I stated tsp has done several mail order cammed ls1 tunes for me with great results. Tuning takes time equipment the right approach and knowledge of cars and computers.
    A dyno is great but you can tune on the street or track also with laptop and wide band o2 system which can actually be even more accurate because of real world conditions vs simulated conditions. Dont get me wrong dyno is amazing but realistically speaking out of budget range of many shops. Even some guys with large budget prefer to tune on track with wideband as this is considered fairly accurate. Thats actually what the all out pros do except they have much more sophisticated data logging equipment on many parameters to analyze engine tuning drivetrain and chassis information. Dyno tune is considered baseline for these guys and then final tweaks and tuning done in real life track conditions.
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 05-29-2008 at 08:16 PM.

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

those 3.8 v6 are ideal for boost applications think back to the grand national's they had a 3.8 liter v6 too

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

yes those gn's and t types are sick. The gen 1 3.8 is a totally different design than gen II and III 3.8 like in late cars. Boost is sick on these engines too alot of the supercharged grand prix guys are running very fast and with gen II 3.8's now seeing 8's in the quarter on a turbo. However the cammed and ported n/a power out of these little motors is pretty impressive to me though. N/A power levels are higher than some older v8's!
    My customer is considering a power adder next for this project after break probably in the form of a 75 shot first and maybe turbo later down the road. In that case i would want to change to the turbo cam with a little tighter lsa to build good boost. It's all time work and money right! I'll post up my 6.0 project in my Z28 soon so you guys could check it out.
    Last edited by BlwnCamaro; 05-29-2008 at 11:15 PM.

maroon
    2002 Camaro

I just recently bought a 3.8 camaro and i need some tips on cheap-er ways to add horse and run better its already quicker than i expected i just want some tips if you guys have any

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 3.8maro View Post
    I just recently bought a 3.8 camaro and i need some tips on cheap-er ways to add horse and run better its already quicker than i expected i just want some tips if you guys have any
    basic tune up with good plugs wires
    Cold air or open element filter
    descreen maf/throttle body
    hand port and polish throttle body
    hand port and polish and match upper and lower intake
    pacecetter headers
    3 inch exaust
    eliminate cat (if you can get away with)
    weight reductions
    gears
    tsp mail computer tune
    cam ( kinda more expensive mod)

no real way to go fast for really cheap but basic bolt ons help and porting is almost free if you can do it yourself. Not as many freemods on these as ls1 but there are a few.

maroon
    2002 Camaro

thanks for the help but where can i geta tune up except like a chevy dealer

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 3.8maro View Post
    thanks for the help but where can i geta tune up except like a chevy dealer
    ask around word of mouth in your area and see if there is a cool private shop that has the knowledge to work on your car. Dont go to dealer no matter what they are a rip off. If you dont hear anything word of mouth call in the phone book and go meet some guys in person then get a feel of them and see if they know your car. A couple of the spark plugs and wires have to be accessed from the bottom thats what makes it hardest to tune up but not a big deal.

maroon
    2002 Camaro

the chevy dealers a Aholes they wanted to charge me 40 bucks to program a keyless entry remote and i told them i would come in the next week i looked up on another forum and found out how to do it my self took 10 secs and they told me it would take half an hour

maroon
    2002 Camaro

Do you know anyone that has a 3.8 supercharger for sale?

Thread Information