Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Removing 3.8 K-member

This is a discussion on Removing 3.8 K-member within the V6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Ok so i bottom out my car on a curb, crushed the k-member, and fucking up the oil pan. today ...

  1. #1
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    Removing 3.8 K-member

    Ok so i bottom out my car on a curb, crushed the k-member, and fucking up the oil pan. today i worked on taking it apart, i got the tie ends takin off, and the lower control arms loose.

    we ran into a problem with the motor mounts though...looks like we can leave them attached to the motor, if we take out the one long bolt hold each to the k-member. but on the pass side, the A/C compressor is in the way.

    just wondering if anyone has done this, and if they have any advice.


    I'm hoping to leave most of the suspension intact if possible...so far it looks like i can do it with pulling the rotor, spindle, UCA or strut

  2. #2
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Looks like you'll have to remove the A/C compressor...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  3. #3
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    yeah, i figured that...its just got 2 bolts...that i know off, looks like i can just unbolt it and swing it out of the way.

  4. #4
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    yeah, i figured that...its just got 2 bolts...that i know off, looks like i can just unbolt it and swing it out of the way.
    Yup that's what the chiltons says to do either swing it out of the way and tie it up. Or remove the lines and then the pump.. I have manuals for our cars so if ya need anything else let me know..If I can help I will...

  5. #5
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    will do...I have a chilton.....somewhere, lol

    its just pissing me off that a lot of these bolts look the same...im hoping i can get them back in the right places

  6. #6
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    oh an another thing, i have my front end up on jack stands...one on each sub frame...then i have a jack under the bullhousing, supporting the motor and tranny since im about to take the motor mounts loose, now ill need another jack to support the k-member while i lower it out...i dunno where the fuck im gonna get, lol

  7. #7
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    will do...I have a chilton.....somewhere, lol

    its just pissing me off that a lot of these bolts look the same...im hoping i can get them back in the right places
    LOL, just take your time and you'll be golden.. You can always get some containers and label them to help with the memory too.

  8. #8
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    oh an another thing, i have my front end up on jack stands...one on each sub frame...then i have a jack under the bullhousing, supporting the motor and tranny since im about to take the motor mounts loose, now ill need another jack to support the k-member while i lower it out...i dunno where the fuck im gonna get, lol
    China mart!! lol just be carefull that's an all iron motor over your head !! ...And another heads up,, if you have them jack stands where I think you do KEEP AN EYE ON THEM, they'll have a tendancy to walk along the sub frame that curves up twards the fire wall, if you get yanking on things too hard under there..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-15-2009 at 01:02 AM.

  9. #9
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    the tops of the jack stands are U shaped. one side on the U goes up into one of the holes down there, the other side side flat against it so it wont walk around

  10. #10
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    the tops of the jack stands are U shaped. one side on the U goes up into one of the holes down there, the other side side flat against it so it wont walk around
    Yup most stands are U shaped but @ least you got them in a good spot too. Should be good how ya got them. Just dont want anyone to get hurt is all..

  11. #11
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    yeah...ive been kinda scared under there, since ive never done this...i dunno whats gonna happen each time i pull a bolt...but i figure all the weight bearing ones wont slide out until i get the motor jacked up

  12. #12
    Senior Member bigrondownhiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,674

    Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

    Some masking tape and a marker will help with putting the bolts back in the right spot. For some extra insurance a steel pipe with some chain holding the engine up is an idea, unless you already have a strut tower brace.

  13. #13
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    yeah i have a strut tower brace...i think were gonna loop some cable or chain around that, and up underneath the intake

  14. #14
    Sofa King we Todd did
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    S. Florida
    Age
    41
    Posts
    164

    Black
    1990 Firebird

    It's easier to pull the entire cradle out the bottom, but if you want to leave the motor in the car, you will need a brace that goes to the strut towers to keep the engine in place.

    Just did this the weekend before last (3.4, but it's the same process as the LSx and 3800)...

    3.4/3500 Twin Turbo almost complete
    I have CNC machines, contact me if you need something. 3500 top ends available.

    -John

  15. #15
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    It's easier to pull the entire cradle out the bottom, but if you want to leave the motor in the car, you will need a brace that goes to the strut towers to keep the engine in place.

    Just did this the weekend before last (3.4, but it's the same process as the LSx and 3800)...

    Click for full size
    I dont think he's pulling the motor though. I believe he's repairing crash damage..

  16. #16
    Sofa King we Todd did
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    S. Florida
    Age
    41
    Posts
    164

    Black
    1990 Firebird

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I dont think he's pulling the motor though. I believe he's repairing crash damage..
    Re-read the first sentence in my post my v6 brethren

  17. #17
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    Re-read the first sentence in my post my v6 brethren
    Opps! My bad..

  18. #18
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    You get that thing back together yet Mr. Bond?

  19. #19
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    fuck you, lol


    well my dad wasnt helping me, and being 75 miles away, i have no time with school and work to go work on it.

    So i took it to our body shop guy, my dad said hell pay, well the guy threw out his back pushing it into his shop, and has been laid up since then...as of 2 weeks ago, it hadnt been touched.

    mind you this guy is retired and just works on cars for his friends and family

  20. #20
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    fuck you, lol


    well my dad wasnt helping me, and being 75 miles away, i have no time with school and work to go work on it.

    So i took it to our body shop guy, my dad said hell pay, well the guy threw out his back pushing it into his shop, and has been laid up since then...as of 2 weeks ago, it hadnt been touched.

    mind you this guy is retired and just works on cars for his friends and family
    That's a bummer for sure. Bet you're missing it though..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Removing the a/c
    By sutie in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 09:51 AM
  2. Removing LS1?
    By KnightmareWS6 in forum General Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-05-2009, 11:46 PM
  3. removing egr and air
    By jmatt07 in forum General Help
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 08:18 AM
  4. removing the t56
    By 69camarokid in forum LT1
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-06-2007, 02:35 PM
  5. Removing the AIR and EGR
    By Madcity T/A in forum External Engine
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-02-2007, 03:16 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •