Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Question Ok You've convinced me, no LS1!!! Now I want Turbo or Twin Turbo

What's up everybody? For a long time I wanted to put in an LS1 in my car to replace the 6, but now I'm convinced that hp per $ I'd better off getting turbo.

Any body know anything about Twin Turbo V6 Camaros? I've been searching and can find nothing.

Also if anybody finds any times, twin turbo or single turbo, try to find 1/4 times.

Thanks a lot guys n gals

Black
    97 Firebird

As far as I know twin turbo on a 6 hasn't been done. As far as I know..., single turbo, there are quite a few guys that have them, and they put out great dyno #'s, but all the guys that have them never seem to go out to the track! What is with that?? One guy on another board has 456 RWHP and 509 LB/FT to the wheels. That's crazy impressive, however, I haven't heard of any track numbers.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

That sounds exactly like this guy I know of (viper). I think the numbers are impressive.... I think I can go from less than 200 at the wheels to atleast like 320... I know at 5psi it does pretty good. On an LS1 it goes from like 300-435, (I subtracted a little to explain my point on the stock hp of ls1 fbody at the wheels with the 300). I know they're ranked at like 325hp.

I'd expect to to to like 325-340... I also don't mind doing engine work down the road to be capable of holding more psi.

I always seem to find evidence that turbochargers are better than superchargers as well.

I'm seriously thinking about getting 1 though because I'd get a lot more power 4 CHEAP.

quicky06
    ebay is your friend there is a guy on camarov6.com thatis puuting a turbo with intercooler togeather for under a grand

I swear it's just a v6!

Silver
    1997 Firebird V6

NITROUS > turbo!

No one w/ the turbo set up's have impressed me down the 1/4 with ET's.

Granted, malice had a trap of 116 mph? Turbo + nitrous.

See sig, nitrous can do wonders.

<-- 100 shot
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 spinning, 110.95 mph
    n/a et & mph: 13.746, 96.38 mph
    Best 60 ft w/ et streets 1.584 spinning!
    check me out at www.bbbracing.com
    Beater - 2006 Mercedes E350 A7

Black
    97 Firebird

nitrous > supercharger as well.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I'd like to do turbo + nitrous+ more engine work. I'm mainly thinking of turbo and nitrous though. Ever heard of Ststurbos.com? I think their turbo is one of the best, next to the procharger.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

The turbo charger I want doesn't need an intercooler also because it's actually mounted in the rear. I'm still going to do more research since I don't have the cash at the moment any way hahaha. But my Camaro will be packing some power by the time its all said and done!

Black
    97 Firebird

I too like the idea of the STS setup, however, you'll have to contact them, because as far as I know, for the moment anyways, there is no kit available for the v6 fbodies. I'm sure most of it would be the same as the LS1 or LT1 f cars, up until you get into the engine compartment, then you'd probably have to custom fab something up. Also you'd probably need a different turbo, one that would spool correctly for the application. I'd give them a call if you really want to find out.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I talked to a guy at a carshow earlier this year and he was representing STS. He told me it was the exact same turbo for LS1's. He told me it would fit. I might take a drive to the shop one of these days. I stay in Nashville and its less than 30miles away.

Silver
    2002 Camaro v6

I wouldn't go for the rear mount if I were you. I honestly am no expert but that seems like it leaves a lot of lag and wasted piping. If you are really serious about it get on Fullthrottlev6.com and look up a member named CP. He has a nice custom turbo setup that and can probably get you together with the guy that built it for him.

Black
    97 Firebird

There seems to be alot of people really divided on the rear mount setup. I've heard people who are against it always talk about lag, and useable power in the car's power band. I've stayed subjective because I really don't know lots about turbo's, however, I've now read 3 magazine reviews on rear mount turbo setups for fbodies, and all of them clearly stated that there was no lag, and great power down low as well. Not to mention dyno graphs and numbers also. Either setup, front or rear mounted turbo would be a good bet, and produce lots of power.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I also saw the no lag thing. I'm thinking it would be a lot better to get the rear mounted because they say turbos make a LOT of heat! This heat defininitly would not be good for my fiberglass hood or engine temperatures.

The good thing about these guys is they told me that they finance
    That means I could be in no time

I'd rather not go the finance route because I'd be paying extra for my lack of patience.

In 2007 I plan to do the paint job and turbo. This year coming up, I think I'm going to dedicate it to rims and a system and more neons. In the mean time I'll keep looking to see what I can find until I've got the cash to pay up front.

I swear it's just a v6!

Silver
    1997 Firebird V6

I like the rear mount STS kits.

If you live that close to them go and get it! I've talked to lots of people who run them and virtually no turbo lag.

Keep us updated.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

i dont think rear mounted turbos make as good performance as front mounted ones , am i right?

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I doubt that's true about the performance difference. I think if anything that the rear mounted one would be better because its always in fresh air and stays cooler easier. Also, I mean there is always air in the pipe from the rear to the front so as long as air is being pushed in then I see no reason why there should be lag from it.

12secondV6, I'm having cash flow problems right now , but when I get situated good enough, I will. I'm trying to get into that 12 second range like you, then who knows... maybe I'll get it to 11's, if I do, that'll be fast enough for me... hahaha

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

I have seen dual Turbo setups on G/N's. And they are totally sick. But running 24psi is retarded on stock internals. I was thinking I read somwhere our rotating assemblies are good for no more than 500HP. Besides, running over 12psi of boost can kill our Hyper Crap Pistons. Connecting rods are already the LT1's 5.7" Forged Rods, so they can handle it. I just want you to know there are a lot of weak parts to consider when going forced Induction over 12 psi. -Tim

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

thanks! makes sense. I believe the turbo in stock form pushes like 5 or 6psi so that should be safe. I'll get more work done later to boost it up more

RedRamAir2000
    emm 500hp on stock v6 bottom end. i thought that the ls1 bottom end was only rated for 500rwhp

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Explain that to me man because I don't understand

Thread Information