Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Oil consumption on 3800??

This is a discussion on Oil consumption on 3800?? within the V6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; are these engines known for oil consumption. checking the tailpipe there's no build up. I just have a funny feeling ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    60

    Black
    2002 Camaro v6

    Oil consumption on 3800??

    are these engines known for oil consumption. checking the tailpipe there's no build up. I just have a funny feeling about the oil being a little low.

  2. #2
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby View Post
    are these engines known for oil consumption. checking the tailpipe there's no build up. I just have a funny feeling about the oil being a little low.
    Yes they can be and usually are (mostly rwd l36's).. Especially if you go WOT alot.. Usually with normal or average driving oil burn is about normal.. Also may want to check for valve cover leaks.. Usually want to have it filled to @ least the 3rd hole on the dipstick.. Anymore than that and it splashes the crank..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-06-2010 at 01:28 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    60

    Black
    2002 Camaro v6

    I just changed the oil, it was on the low side but no metal was picked up by my handy dandy magnetic oil catch pan. So that's good.
    I'm using High milage synthetic and an STP additive, no royal purple this time, it gets too expensive.
    My next mission is to track down the cause of hard starts when cold and rough idle. I've already checked the PCV valve and air filter. I'm going to do some searches on the forums and check some of the vac lines.
    Is their an IAC on these cars? I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs on these cars. I guess i'll need to get me a service manual. I get one for every one of my cars, they make great bathroom reading.

    Ok rough idle and killing seconds after startup. Ideas, GO!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    60

    Black
    2002 Camaro v6

    Later today I'm going to check the MAF and see if there's any build up on the TB.

  5. #5
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby View Post
    I just changed the oil, it was on the low side but no metal was picked up by my handy dandy magnetic oil catch pan. So that's good.
    I'm using High milage synthetic and an STP additive, no royal purple this time, it gets too expensive.
    My next mission is to track down the cause of hard starts when cold and rough idle. I've already checked the PCV valve and air filter. I'm going to do some searches on the forums and check some of the vac lines.
    Is their an IAC on these cars? I'm still trying to figure out the ins and outs on these cars. I guess i'll need to get me a service manual. I get one for every one of my cars, they make great bathroom reading.

    Ok rough idle and killing seconds after startup. Ideas, GO!
    Quote Originally Posted by mroby View Post
    Later today I'm going to check the MAF and see if there's any build up on the TB.
    Need to use CRC cleaner on the MAF (unplug it first)..
    No IAC on fly by wire 3800-II f-body..
    Only have 3 vac lines 2 from the MAP,, 1 from the brake booster....
    Change fuel filter.
    Could have a vac leak on the lower intake manifold especially if running DEXcool that has never been flushed..
    Check rail psi. if you're still running the factory fuel pump..
    Have the ECM scanned for intermittent misfire and catalyst codes, reason: center coil gets wet from water off the cowl, and the cat maybe dieing (replaced mine @ 80k) even tho my 01 never gets beat on..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-07-2010 at 05:13 PM.

  6. #6
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3


  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    60

    Black
    2002 Camaro v6

    SWEEET! Thanks for the info. I managed to get to autozone 10 mins after close last night and managed to talk the guy into coming read my codes. It threw a mass air fault. I hope it's cleanable and doesn't need to be replaced. I'm happy that's it. that explains the rough starts, the wire isn't heating up fast enough.

  8. #8
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby View Post
    SWEEET! Thanks for the info. I managed to get to autozone 10 mins after close last night and managed to talk the guy into coming read my codes. It threw a mass air fault. I hope it's cleanable and doesn't need to be replaced. I'm happy that's it. that explains the rough starts, the wire isn't heating up fast enough.
    IAT is cheap and easy to replace.. It's not shown above.. It's located in your intake air bellows.. It has 2 wires comming from it and is on the drivers side of the bellows.. Oh and it's not recommended you try to clean them..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-09-2010 at 12:32 PM.

  9. #9
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Here:


  10. #10
    Member transamgirl89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dacula, Georgia, United States
    Posts
    555

    White
    2001 RS Camaro

    I had to replace mine due to my K&N filter. It built up to much gunk on my MAF sensor so word to the wise, don't buy an K&N air filter.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    60

    Black
    2002 Camaro v6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Here:

    Click for full size
    What is that? I thought the mass air sensor was on top of the intake, infront of the TB?
    I went to auto zone and they said the mass air would run around $130.

  12. #12
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby View Post
    What is that? I thought the mass air sensor was on top of the intake, infront of the TB?
    I went to auto zone and they said the mass air would run around $130.


    That is the IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor.. sorry for the mix up.. SHould'nt be more than say 15 bucks..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-09-2010 at 12:33 PM.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    60

    Black
    2002 Camaro v6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    That is the IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor.. sorry for the mix up.. SHould'nt be more than say 15 bucks..
    Right, the IAT is $15, the MAF is $130. The MAF is throwing a code. I'm going to try and clean it.


    Annnnnddd, just cuz i wanted to use this smilie,

  14. #14
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby View Post
    Right, the IAT is $15, the MAF is $130. The MAF is throwing a code. I'm going to try and clean it.


    Annnnnddd, just cuz i wanted to use this smilie,
    Make sure you us CRC MAF cleaner and unplug it first.. If you're running a K&N filter throw it away and go get a cheap paper filter.. K&N oil and MAF sensors don't mix...

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    60

    Black
    2002 Camaro v6

    Wierd, the MAF looks spotless. The Screen looks a little beat up, I might have done so when I removed the boot from the airbox, but other than that it looks fine. its not oily at all.
    No K&N on the car either.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    60

    Black
    2002 Camaro v6


  17. #17
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby View Post
    Click for full size
    That screen is a defuser NOT part of or attached to the MAF.. There is no way to even see the MAF element in this way..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-10-2010 at 05:36 PM.

  18. #18
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    The MAF has a probe that goes through the top of the TB.. There's a hole for the MAF probe @ the top..


    Last edited by Smittro; 08-10-2010 at 05:45 PM.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    60

    Black
    2002 Camaro v6

    no, I pulled the MAF out as well. The little wire looked spotless.

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    60

    Black
    2002 Camaro v6

    I was just showing the screen so that you could see that there was no buildup on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Oil Consumption
    By Dr.Crash in forum General Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 06:31 PM
  2. Pcv oil consumption
    By MNZ28 in forum General Help
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-26-2009, 10:00 PM
  3. Question: Oil consumption
    By Bama99z in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
  4. Oil Consumption
    By jc99ls1ss in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 06:33 AM
  5. crazy LS1 and oil consumption
    By maxwax in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-17-2009, 04:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •