Thread: nitrous

bloodxnightmare

nitrous

how much nitrous can you spray on a stock 3800 v6? and also what would be a nice kit?

quicky06
    it depends wet or dry. in general you can spray a 75 SAFLEY qithout having to upgrade fuel pump (or injectors if dry)

Black
    97 Firebird

First off, I wouldn't just spray a completely stock 3.8. First make sure you have at least a cold air intake, and a catback, you definately want to make it easier for your car to breathe, especially when you're looking at that much power. As far as internally, stock internals will do, but make sure to change your plugs, you need 2 heat ranges colder - no platinum plugs, you'll melt them. Most highly recommend plugs are NGK TR6, that's what I run, that's what most people who spray use.

Second, your question of "how much nitrous can you spray on a stock 3800 v6" isn't a really good question. I mean, you can spray a 150 shot on it, you might last 3 or 4 passes before blowing things up. It's not how big of a shot; you want reliability. Also it depends on if your kit is wet or dry. I reccomend dry, especially to start out with because with our intakes wet kits do tend to puddle every now and then and that's where you get backfires. Almost everyone I've talked to who has a wet kit, has had someform of backfire. So I'll reccomend a dry kit. With basic intake/exhaust mods, don't go over an 85 shot. I say 85 because NOS kit 5175 which is designed for 3.4/3.8L V6's comes with an 85 dry shot. 75-85 is your limit. Alot of people run this on their stock fuel pump, but you'll want to make sure your pump is running to the specs of a new pump, or you should change it so it does run to new pump specs. Any higher with the stock pump and you'll run lean = BOOM. If you want to spray a 100 shot, you need an upgraded fuel pump for sure. I wouldn't recommend going higher than a 100 shot, as you want reliability as a number 1 priority.

And lastly, I'll recommend the kit I run, which was also recommended to me by 12secv6, and is also the kit he ran for a long time. It's basic, lots of safety features, and just the right size shot. It's NOS kit 5175. Make sure you install all the safety features like FPSS, and WOT switch, and buy a window switch if you run an M5.

Hope that helps, but before you jump right in to nitrous, do some research, ask some questions, and make sure you understand and really know what you're planning on doing. Knowledge=safety=lowET's.
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

Black
    97 Firebird

that's weird, that reply doesn't show up on the board, but it does when you click on the thread, odd!

Hotrod
    I ran the Nitrous Express Wet Kit, and ran a 100 shot on it like it was nothing. Never had any problems, but then again it wasn't stock either. There are several other things I'd be putting on the car before nitrous! As stated above AT LEAST headers and a full exhaust.

Thread Information