Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

need help!! please

This is a discussion on need help!! please within the V6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; well removed the tranny and turned it over (with the battery from my dads suburban) and it turned kinda slow ...

green
    1994 camaro

well removed the tranny and turned it over (with the battery from my dads suburban) and it turned kinda slow not nearly as fast as it should and it made loud noise but never caught. and you could see where the spark plugs and stuff were firing. i'll try and post a video on here for everyone to see and give me ideas..:

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Did you make sure all the ground straps were on?

Black
    1999 trans am

Was the noise like a grinding sound? If it turned over slow and made that sound it might be the starter.. not 100% sure but im just throwing the suggestion out there

white
    1995 Firebird

If it sounded like an electric motor running, then ur starter solenoid is bad.

green
    1994 camaro

i think i got all the ground straps on.. and i just replaced the starter solenoid.. is it possible i burned up my starter when i was trying to start it with the flywheel pinned by the torque converter?? bcuz it sounded bad when i did that and it kinda smelled like something burned.. o and there was a loud popping noise at one point (i tryed to start it a couple times) how can i tell if i burned it up or not? o i'll try to post a vid tonight.. (im watching the dallas game)

white
    1995 Firebird

Manually turning the flywheel shouldn't effect the starter whatsoever. The gears on the starter get locked in by the solenoid when u turn the key over. Where did the smell come from, and what was the smell like? Where did the loud pop come from? There will be a back fire when u first try to crank the engine for the first few times, usually from one of the vacuum connections at the top of the upper air intake plenium. And all u have to do to check the starter, is remove the bolts, and keep the electrical connection hooked up, then turn the key over to see if the starter initiates, and the gear turns strong. Just don't accidentally touch the wires while it's being turned over. Haha.

green
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by davidlb512 View Post
    Manually turning the flywheel shouldn't effect the starter whatsoever. The gears on the starter get locked in by the solenoid when u turn the key over. Where did the smell come from, and what was the smell like? Where did the loud pop come from? There will be a back fire when u first try to crank the engine for the first few times, usually from one of the vacuum connections at the top of the upper air intake plenium. And all u have to do to check the starter, is remove the bolts, and keep the electrical connection hooked up, then turn the key over to see if the starter initiates, and the gear turns strong. Just don't accidentally touch the wires while it's being turned over. Haha.
    what i meant was when the torwue converter had my flywheel locked up i tryed to start it (not realizing it was pinned of course. ) and i tryed starting it a couple times but all i heard was the starter trying to turn but nothing else. so i tryed it a couple more times and then i heard a loud popping from the starter and a smell of just something metal burning. thats when i realized the torque converter was pinning the flywheel i dropped the tranny and tryed it again. but this time my battery went dead really quick and only turned the flywheel a couple times (really slow) so i took the battery of my dads v8 suburban. hooked it up and turned the key again. once again the starter turned the flywheel (still pretty slow) and there was a couple backfires from the manifold and some other noises but everything was turning on the front of the motor with the drivebelt. (alternator, water pump, crank, cam, etc) but it was still not catching and going on its own. so we stopped.. then we tried it again, and the starter turned the flywheel still pretty slow but this time no backfiring.

now my stepdad (not an expert by anymeans whatsoever) thinks its an internal thing where something is bound making it turn to slow to catch etc etc. but i redid those internals 4 times and they are right. i went through several revolutions of turning the flywheel with a prybar (with relative ease) and could find no bindings. im convinced i did those internals right. i think its something else..
    im prolly gonna take the starter to oreily's and have it checked just to see.

white
    1995 Firebird

Hopefully it's something simple. It took several attempts to get mine to fire up after i finished my head job. And backfires out the intake were abundant. haha. Buy a can of ether, and very conservatively spray a shot in the throttle body while trying to crank it. Don't use much tho. Maybe that will help get it going.

Black
    1996 Camaro Z28 vert

Quick question when you put the timing chain back on you lined up the dots on the drive gears? Also are you positive you got the right wires on the right coils and fuel injectors?

green
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Quick question when you put the timing chain back on you lined up the dots on the drive gears? Also are you positive you got the right wires on the right coils and fuel injectors?
    thanks david. hopefully it is something simple.

ron- yep i lined them up perfectly. and yep i got all the right plug wires to the right plugs and coils. checked them 3 times. and as for the injectors i never took them off the fuel rail. just unpluged the rail from the wiring harness

black
    2002 WS6

If your started started to smell and made a poping noise, you over heated it, I would suggest getting a new one.

green
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    If your started started to smell and made a poping noise, you over heated it, I would suggest getting a new one.
    thanks orcus =) i'll look into that in the next couple days. do you think that could be why its only spinning the flywheel really slow?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Ok ok I'm back been busy.. First off your not gonna like this but it's a relatively easy fix. Drop the oil pan, and get under there and loosen each main cap one @ a time and retorque them to spec. You did remember to seat the main caps with a rubber mallet or plastic dead blow right?? Anyway, that's most likely your issue with the tightness. Just do them one @ a time, and each time you retorque a cap turn the engine by hand one full revolution, then on to the next and repeat. Should free it up more. Sounds like tight thrust lip lash, between the mains and the crank. Retorqueing them should correct the issue..
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-21-2010 at 12:50 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

This is the thrust lip on a set of mains for the 3.4L.. The lip can sometimes expand a little when torqueing them down. Won't hurt them, like I said just retorque and you should be good..

Last edited by Smittro; 01-21-2010 at 01:04 PM.

green
    1994 camaro

dang.... thanks for the info smittro.. and your right.. i don't like that news.. in fact that really sux.. my stepdad said he wants me to get the starter tested and if its not that i think him and my mom are talking about selling me their 02 eddie bauer edition explorer.. which would get me on the road immediately. which is what i need. he's not gonna want me to break back into it again and try it again. like i said no for sure plans yet and im hopeing i can break back into it and just get it fixed. but if not i may be posting a 94 camaro for sale trying to get the money back out i put in it in parts. but like i said im gonna keep working on it and hopefully i can keep it and get it fixed. bucause its a ford it will be cheaper bcuz they are selling it to me but its still a ford... lets just pray the camaro lives

green
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Ok ok I'm back been busy.. First off your not gonna like this but it's a relatively easy fix. Drop the oil pan, and get under there and loosen each main cap one @ a time and retorque them to spec. You did remember to seat the main caps with a rubber mallet or plastic dead blow right?? Anyway, that's most likely your issue with the tightness. Just do them one @ a time, and each time you retorque a cap turn the engine by hand one full revolution, then on to the next and repeat. Should free it up more. Sounds like tight thrust lip lash, between the mains and the crank. Retorqueing them should correct the issue..
    o and i forgot but when it was just my crank in with my mains everything spun super easy and was really good. it only got tight after i put pistons in and rod caps on..

green
    1994 camaro

how many ground straps are there and where do they attach?

green
    1994 camaro

well got the freaking starter tested and its fine. anyone wanna buy a camaro?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
    o and i forgot but when it was just my crank in with my mains everything spun super easy and was really good. it only got tight after i put pistons in and rod caps on..
    Okay, this scares me... What was the gap on the new rings when you put them each in the bores (one @ a time) and measured them?? Did the cylinders have a ridge?? If so did you buy over sized rings after having the ridges removed? Did you check for cylinder out of round?? Sorry, but that motor is prolly gonna have to come back out.... More I think about it the more I'm thinking something was missed in the specs.. No offence bud but something does'nt add up.. Definetely feels like something was lost/missed in the specs..
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-28-2010 at 08:43 AM.

green
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Okay, this scares me... What was the gap on the new rings when you put them each in the bores (one @ a time) and measured them?? Did the cylinders have a ridge?? If so did you buy over sized rings after having the ridges removed? Did you check for cylinder out of round?? Sorry, but that motor is prolly gonna have to come back out.... More I think about it the more I'm thinking something was missed in the specs.. No offence bud but something does'nt add up.. Definetely feels like something was lost/missed in the specs..
    i don't remember the exact measurements but they were all in specs. everything oversize wise was stock, and no i didn't check for cylinders out of round. and definately no offense taken man. i understand its very possible and even likely that i missed something in there specs wise. engine building is anything but easy. it sux yes but thats life. you live and you learn. i love doing this stuff so i'll just learn from my mistakes. at least i didnt get something wrong where it started but then locked up. thanks for the help man.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information