Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

mod tips for v6

This is a discussion on mod tips for v6 within the V6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Krazy351w i will verify the fact that yes the 3.4 cars have a 2 piece steel drive ...

CO Fastest V6 FBody Teufel Hunden's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Krazy351w View Post
    i will verify the fact that yes the 3.4 cars have a 2 piece steel drive shaft thats heavy as fuck
    Awesome, thanks. Unsprung rotating weight is the best weight to get rid of.

In A Jesus Christ pose.... on the banks of the Thames with Ratty and Mole.

hunter Green
    92 Camaro RS 350 Special

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden View Post
    Awesome, thanks. Unsprung rotating weight is the best weight to get rid of.
    i agree but i got a clutch problem i need to fix first, cant find a damn bleeder valve on it and i have no clutch pressure so i need to fix it but dont know how

red
    93 T/A

Does anyone knows if there is a company out there that makes a custom cam for the 3.4 also would ported heads, ported intake and headers help increase horsepower? I mean enough to really make a diff and worth the money?

CO Fastest V6 FBody Teufel Hunden's Avatar

Arctic White
    1998 Camaro

N/A, a 3.4 just isn't worth the money to mod it. If you're going to spend money on it, make it a power adder... Nitrous, Supercharger, or Turbo.

power wise u arnt gonna get much out of it....only way is to go FI and go all out...Tiago has got his 3'4 into the 12s i think so there is hope but the aftermarket for 3.4's is a lot smaller than 3.8's...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Corrections.....

I know this thread is very old.. But it's still available for folks to read.. Unfortunately it's chalk full of miss info.. Not trying to offend anyone just making the nessasary corrections..

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason View Post
    its 160 at the fly
    Correct.. for 3.4L OHV engines..

Quote Originally Posted by PaganEgyptian View Post
    The original 3.4L was designed with a 260HP output, but there was not a single trasmission that could be bolted on that could hande that much power. So they restricted the crap out of it. Just take a look at how restrictive the plenum is. From TB to inside the plenum, it looks like a funnel effect.
    The original 3.4L ohv engine never in it's life producted 260 @ the fly.. Only the LQ1 DOHC can make the 200+hp claim in stock form.. The TDC proto-test engine made 265-275 depending on where you go for it's liniage..(sp)

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason View Post

#1 Transmissions handle torque not power
    #2 there are plenty of people on this board and others with blown 3.8L's making over 300 RWTQ on the same 5-Speed Trans
    #3 the only major restriction is the airbox
    That tranny will die soon..
    to #3, There are more restrictions to the 3.4L OHV in any body style than just the box.. The "U" shaped UI is uber restictive, the heads are a joke.. 3500 hybrid heads would apply as a better alternative to messing with the iron heads..

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMan View Post
    I think he was talking about 3.4s, but whatever.

I read up a while ago on how bad 3.4 heads are, so airflow is actually still greatly restricted past the airbox.
    Correct!

Quote Originally Posted by fast enough Z28 View Post
    Does the throttle body have a screen if so take it off. im not sure about the 3.4 but slp made some 1.8 roller rockers for the 3.8 maybe they have some for your motor. Screw it just put a 100 shot of nos and strenghten your suspension.
    You can NOT use 1.8 rockers on stock heads max is 1.6 ratio with head mods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufel Hunden View Post
    DO NOT Remove your MAF screen. The screen is there because your MAF was originally calibrated with the screen in place. Removing it will gain you no power, and in 90% of all cases will make your car run worse. If you try to tune it in the future, it'll make the job take longer and be less accurate.

Another thing to consider, i'm not sure if the 3.4 cars have a 2 piece driveshaft, but if they do, it would be a good idea to get a 1 piece. Look on EBay for LS1 aluminum shafts... they're reasonably affordable.
    Removing the defuser (not MAF screen) will NOT harm the MAF nor the engine (3800 has screen 85mm TB only).. I've been without mine for ~5 years.. It will NOT run worse by removing it. It will not effect ones ability to have to engine tuned properly.. It's a restiction that can be disgarded..

Quote Originally Posted by predaconssss View Post
    Does anyone knows if there is a company out there that makes a custom cam for the 3.4 also would ported heads, ported intake and headers help increase horsepower? I mean enough to really make a diff and worth the money?
    Worth the money is a matter of individual tastes.. Porting 3.4L iron heads is a waste of time however you will see an increase in power with supporting mods. NOT worth the money as a matter of personal opinion. Again individual tastes/budgets would apply here.. It will NOT make a big difference to the butt dyno. But new pickup and responce (better) will be noticed..
    Quote Originally Posted by Farva View Post
    power wise u arntt gonna get much out of it....only way is to go FI and go all out...Tiago has got his 3'4 into the 12s i think so there is hope but the aftermarket for 3.4's is a lot smaller than 3.8's...
    How much you get out will depend on how much one wants/has to spend.. If you've got the money you can build it.. FI is the best way for true snap your head power.. There are many options one can go with an N/A 3.4 ohv however NON will give monsterous gains.. However if you've got the time/money. The 3.4 comes with forged con rods (like ALL 660's do) and the blocks have now been proven to hold over 500hp on a stock crank too..

Disclaimer: Again not to piss folks off here just correcting the numorus post with sound info that is readily available now in 2010..

Happy modding!...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information