bluegreen
    1996 camaro

Talking make faster without changing motors

i've got a v6 with cold air 383 gears 5 speed with clutch kit 100shot of wet
    i know i need the ngk v power plugs but if i change the cam do i also have to change the heads and will better coil packs bigger plug wires be worth the money and will a 6 speed trans bolt up to a v-6 since its just an 8 missing two
    cycl. also everyone putting down 6's 1/4 mile i run in low 13's high 12's do to driver error

Hotrod
    If I were you I'd change out the coil packs, and wires. Might not make a huge difference but if your changing out the plugs, might as well do it all at once. I bought the MSD Coil Packs and MSD 90 degree angled wires (perfect wires if you have headers). Also, there probably isn't a cam so big for the V6 that requires new heads so I wouldn't worry about the heads unless you got that kind of money (trust me they're expensive!!!). You should see a big difference with just a cam. I had a VS-Cam that runs with stock springs, pushrods, ect. However, the install was a beast on the V6 cam's!

I don't know anything about the tranny question, that's once spot where I'm clueless!

White
    Chevy Camaro

No need to pull heads. The tranny won't work. They have a different bellhousing. I got the N/A cam from abbott racing heads and loved it. It sounds better than a stock V8 at idle. I had to pull my cam after only about 1000 miles because I decided to go turbo afterall. If you want to get that one let me know and I'll sell you mine. It'll save you some money.

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by 01rallysport View Post
    No need to pull heads. The tranny won't work. They have a different bellhousing. I got the N/A cam from abbott racing heads and loved it. It sounds better than a stock V8 at idle. I had to pull my cam after only about 1000 miles because I decided to go turbo afterall. If you want to get that one let me know and I'll sell you mine. It'll save you some money.
    What size cam did you have in it?

White
    Chevy Camaro

-210/220 @ .050
    -.320" lobe lift on the intake, .512 with a 1.6 rocker ratio
    -.320 lobe lift on the exhaust, .512 with a 1.6 rocker ratio
    -112 lobe separation

That's the cam I had. I'm really going to miss having it in there. It sounded so good that no one believed it was a V6 when it was sitting there idleing. It even ran great without a tune. I was kind of worried about it because mine's an automatic and everyone said a 112 lobe separation would be rough but it worked out great. I went ahead and had it tuned so I could rev it to 6500 rpms. My best time before the cam was 15.6 in the 1/4. After I did the cam and got it tuned it ran a 14.7 on street tires. I wish I could've ran at the track with some good tires once because I'm sure with a good launch it would've gotten at least a 14.5. So the cam and increased rev limiter knocked off a whole second.

Thread Information