Thread: K&N and Gears?

royalking03

K&N and Gears?

I want to up my gas mileage and horsepower and I saw k&n air filters but do I just need the filter or the whole intake system to increase it the most? and will it make that much of a difference? Im not sure what type of gears I have on my stock 02' 3.8L v6 and I see everyone putting 4.10 and 4.11 gears on their cars. what gears do i have and what could I put on my car to up my torque and what kind of price am i lookin at? anyone please!

Black
    99 SS

for better gas mileage you want like a 2.73 or lower gear that is highway gears. those gears 3.73,4.10 are dragracing gears. look on inside door jam of your car where the build sheet is with the build codes on there a code should be on there that says GU5 or GU3 check it out and that is the gear ratio that in the car, go look and tell me which one is on youra.

royalking03
    I have a Gu6 code?

Black
    99 SS

what the hell i only thought those only came with the SS??? thats a 3.42 ratio. that plenty big for a V6 car!

royalking03
    so I guess im cool there then. Thanks man. What other bolt ons could I put on my car to improve gas and horsepower? maybe a chip?
    Last edited by royalking03; 09-25-2005 at 07:40 PM.

Black
    99 SS

yep, and if you went a to a bigger gear it may be hard to notice.

hey anyone else i didnt know they put a Gu6(3.42's) in V6 cars?

Black
    97 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner
    what the hell i only thought those only came with the SS??? thats a 3.42 ratio. that plenty big for a V6 car!
    Automatic v6's came with either open 3.08's or 3.42's with a limited slip. The 3.42's were part of a "V6 Performance Package" that you could order, which gave you dual outlet exhaust, 3.42 gears and a tighter steering ratio. And yes you're right, 3.42's seem to be a great middle ground for v6's as far as good performance/economy goes. Royalking03 you really lucked out, as stock for stock that puts you approx .3-.4 tenths faster than your other auto v6 bretheren, and saves you having to swap in better gears down the road, unlike some of us. M5 6's came with 3.23's weather they had the performance package option or not.

As far as better milage and performance, a K&N isn't going to do you much good. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome filter and is a way better job than the stock paper crap, but you wont see any performance and your milage will stay the same. Saying a k&n filter is a performance mod is like saying you will gain 5 hp from using a better oil filter. If you check out high performance pontiac magazine this month, they do a test on a 3.8 grand prix gt, for performance gains and fuel economy. They install a catback exhaust and a cold air intake with some 1.8 rockers for good measure, and come away with 13.5 rwhp gain and 2-3 better mpg city driving. Not to mention, aside from fuel economy, intake and exhaust are the first places to start in creating more power with your 6 anyways. Hope that helps!
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

royalking03
    Thats awesome! it is a 35th edition. do they make a cold air intake for my car? and will the cat back system make my car louder cause I dont like the sound of a v6?

Black
    97 Firebird

Yup, check out www.slponline.com for an intake for your car, they also have catbacks there. The loudmouth sounds very aggressive and is quite loud. It sounds like an 8 down low, and then sounds like a 6 higher up. I have an Edelbrock catback because not as loud. If you want to have an idea of different exhaust setups on 6's you can check out http://www.camarov6.com/ubb/ultimate...;f=25;t=006640 for different soundclips to give you an idea.

royalking03
    I also just looked up an air temparature module @ Rk sport.com. and it says for $24.95 I can increase my horsepower 5 to 7. should I try and trust this? also which will add more to my gas milage cat system or intake?
    Last edited by royalking03; 09-25-2005 at 09:15 PM.

Black
    97 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by royalking03
    I also just looked up an air temparature module @ Rk sport.com. and it says for $24.95 I can increase my horsepower 5 to 7. should I try and trust this? also which will add more to my gas milage cat system or intake?
    I myself dont know anyone who has used this mod, and I've heard some negative things, but I don't know anything first hand, so I can't really say. But I can say that I don't know of too many people using this mod.

Black
    99 SS

i dont know if a sensor will add 5-7 hp maybe like .5-.7 if that.

The K&N FIPK is where you'll see HP gains with an airfilter, dont bother with any RKsport stuff, its just crappy resistors that will more often than not hurt mileage. Look into a Chip and some underdrive pulleys, should make the car run smoother and get some more MPG on the highway. Also with the chip get a low temp 160 degree stat. Also a Catback will make your car louder, When I had mine I did the Flowmaster Catback for the V6, you'll never get rid of the V6 sound but That seemed to have more muscle to it but did get a little raspy in the last 1000 rpm if you gave it a full rev.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

GU5 or GU3
    what are the gear ratios for those codes? jw

GU6 is 3.43
    GU5 is 3.23
    GU3 is probably 2.73 but if you have an auto its a 2-carrier

Black
    97 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by MadSeason
    GU6 is 3.43
    GU5 is 3.23
    GU3 is probably 2.73 but if you have an auto its a 2-carrier
    Makes sense, although 2.73's aren't available on 6's if that's the original question. GU4 code = 3.08's.

Thread Information