just look i cant fit it here

This is a discussion on just look i cant fit it here within the V6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; heres the question i am planning on building up my 3800 for a nitrous and or turbo setup. and i ...

quicky06

just look i cant fit it here

heres the question i am planning on building up my 3800 for a nitrous and or turbo setup. and i mean BUILT. i have the ability to get a short block 3800 with 30000 miles on it for 70 bucks

so my first question is do you think it would be a bad idea to build up the newer motor( i got 115000 on mine) and just swap some parts over and put it in or should i pull the old motor and try and do a quality build in a weekend.

next comes the question of boring no more than .02 over is it worth it? and if i do how much more displacemnt would i get?

and last but not least what heads dou you think that i should get?

so far what i am thinkin is

Diamond forged piston kit

http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...roduct_Count=0

GM L32 Powdered Metal Connecting Rods

http://www.3800performance.com/Merch...roduct_Count=1

SLP Aluminum Roller Rocker Arms/Pushrod Package

Meziere Enterprises Electric Water Pump

MSD Blaster Ignition Coil Packs

i havnt decided on heads or cam yet and do they make a composite intake for the 3800?

so what you think(especially 12secondv6 and yes i will be putting this on camrov6.com as soon as i figure out why me email wont let me log into recover my password)

thanks and good night

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

dude just get an ls1 and save time and money over the long haul. thanks jeremy

quicky06
    if wnated to get an ls1 i would.

and it would not be cheaper in the long run to go with an ls1.

the engine alone would cost more than my whole setup when im done, then you need tranny computer and all the accessories and ignition and all that expensive stuff.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

sell your and get what you really want. don't settle for less. it like dating a chick, just because she is there. but she may not be attractive. just my thoughts.

1994 POS

Speaking from person experience, I've swapped an LS1 into a v6 camaro and for what you're wanting to spend just for nitrous that isn't avaliable all the time when you step on the gas, just drop that 5.7L in there

5 ltr. beater
    Quote Originally Posted by quicky06
    heres the question i am planning on building up my 3800 for a nitrous and or turbo setup. and i mean BUILT. i have the ability to get a short block 3800 with 30000 miles on it for 70 bucks

so my first question is do you think it would be a bad idea to build up the newer motor( i got 115000 on mine) and just swap some parts over and put it in or should i pull the old motor and try and do a quality build in a weekend.
    dude, just get a junked camaro or T/a and yank the LS1 out and drop it in yours. No need to beef up the V6. If anything, just keep that car a daily driver and with all the money you would spend making the V6 faster, just spend the money and get an SS or WS-6.

quicky06
    the engine alone will cost more than everything that i am doing!

im looking at around 4 grand total for the engine an ignition and fuel and thats leave lee way

then the turbo will cost me around 1500-2000 to build

find me a way of doing a ls1 swap into a v6 and make it reliable for under 6000

and the 6 will still have more power than that stock ls1,

oh and i cant just go out an by a new car i cant afford the insurance on a ls1 car

just in insurance this will pay for itself in 5 years or
    so

a 17 (april b day) yearold high school student with shitty grades doesnt gget good quotes for a ls1 camaro.

so please stop telling me justto get a ls1 that is not what i am asking here

you dont see me telling you to change your mind about everything do ya?

i ahve done lots of reading on this

1994 POS

Complete LS1 Engine and Trans, 3k
    Exhaust Work $500
    Custom Wiring Harness and computer $500
    shocks and springs to handel power along with rear posi and better gears $500, less if from a junk yard, Fuel pump, 80 bucks

Total $4580, not swapping the engine in yourself another 1k
    Still less than upgrading your v6 with forged internals. Don't tell me it can't be done for under 6k either. Other little things not needed that I got were items such as an upgraded gauge cluster, STB, dyno tune, sub frame connectors, and a few misc items. But of all the necissary parts, it was $4500.

quicky06
    so what it can be done but i donw want it!!!!!!!!

how many times do i have to tell you this

1994 POS

i mentioned saving you money, getting you more power, and still not changing your insurance rates. It was only a suggestion, I'm not yelling at you to change your mind or setup goals.

i answered your question on how to do a reliable swap for under 6k, lashing back was uncalled for. you're only 17 and we're all speaking from experience on just trying to help you out. I think if your mind was really made up you wouldn't need to be here asking questions like is it worth it( in responce to your very first post)

either way, good luck and post up your results when finished

Black
    97 Firebird

An LS1 is a great engine but alot of guys can't see the fun in making a smaller engine fast. For example I also have a 2nd gen T/A which I'd like to build up a quick 400 for, yet I still hear from some people "well why don't you throw in a 455 instead". Just like alot of people wouldn't try to build up a Pontiac 350, yet lots of people have done great builds on them, and instead of the usual, have instead a really quick and unique street car. The LS1 is an awesome engine, but not every fast fbody has to have an LS1 in it.

This is the same reason I'm sticking with my 6. Well, that and I like beating LT1's at the track with my 3.8! Bottom line is, you've outlined lots of pros for sticking with your 6 and if that's the way you want to go, then go for it!

As for your questions, I know most of the fast v6 fbodies have stock heads on them, and I'm know quite a few of them have stock cams. But on the other hand, I dont think there are too many people that have gone to the extreme of an engine build like you're talking about. I know of 2 guys who have went the heads/cam route, and they put down pretty good times, but neither were close to stock heads/cam/nitrous combos. Either that or a performance cam/nitrous. A stronger bottom end is always good when wanting to go all out on your motor.
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Exclamation

Ok, I am with you in this boat. A 3800II can be modded to run no matter what. The 3800II has factory forged LT1 Connecting Rods, and a thick Crankshaft that I have seen supporting well over 500HP. If you want better pistons than what is offered at 3800performance.com, you will need to search around the Grand National Forums. They have designed a forged piston for a .030 overbore on the 3800. No need to replaced Connecting Rods.
    I highly recommend visiting www.zzperformance.com to compare products and prices over 3800perfromace.com, in which I think are grossly overpriced. Dont forget your Forced Induction Camshaft to generate even more power. I hope I can help in any way I can.

*Bonus*
    For the V-8 Brethren....... here is your little slow V-6 Grocery getter in action..... Its a G/N, but its has the same block as our slow 3800II's have .... -Tim
    http://www.bgnra.org/300_Wheelie.htm
    Last edited by PaganEgyptian; 12-03-2005 at 07:34 PM.

quicky06
    thanks u 2 for awnsering some of my questions. i was just using 3800 performance for the links. ive been shopping around. so the rods are fordged?

thatl save 300

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

yes, our connecting rods are already forged.... -Tim

I swear it's just a v6!

Silver
    1997 Firebird V6

Where did you read on a 3800 series 2 in an f body the connecting rods are forged?

Why not start small? I still run stock cam, stock tb, stock bottom end etc.

The heads and intake are ported on my junk yard engine.
    The junk yard 10 bolt has 4:10's in it

What do YOU want out of the car? Straight line acceleration?
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 spinning, 110.95 mph
    n/a et & mph: 13.746, 96.38 mph
    Best 60 ft w/ et streets 1.584 spinning!
    check me out at www.bbbracing.com
    Beater - 2006 Mercedes E350 A7

Thread Information