Thread: Grand Prix GTP

Black
    1999 Z-28 LS1

Grand Prix GTP

I am looking to possibly trade my 99 suburban that my wife drives, for a 1999 GTP. I havent physically seen the car, but have seen plenty of pictures of it, and going to look at it tonight. My question is, it has 210,000 miles on it, but he says it runs great. Only missing the A/C unit, and hoses (previous owner took off for whatever reason), and has a cold air intake on it. What problems, or issues should I be aware of with a high mileage supercharger? I have been on some other sites, and have an idea of what gaskets to replace, and parts to replace to keep it running, but has anyone owned one of these?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike
    1999 Camaro Z-28 LS1 M6
    Cam, Heads, Exhaust

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

@ 210k I'd be worried about the whole car.. just my .02..
    Imho it's a "do not buy" car..

Red
    2001 ws6

i just got back from getting mine looked at, they totaled it from the damages due to labor on replacing the rear quater. its a 2000 gtp with 60k miles. been driving it for 2 months now with the damage the only problem is the rear quarter rubs the tire on big bumps which can easily be banged out. if you want you can buy it as is with a salvage title. car has a rebuilt tranny less than 5k miles ago with a 3 year warranty on it. pm me if interested

red
    2001 v6 camaro

Grand Prix's in general are known for there trannys going bad. You would also want to make sure it had the stock pulley on it, as doing a smaller pulley without supporting mods can cause some major KR and motor damage. Really though, if it was maintained properly, 210k is nothing for the 3.8. I have a friend with a 98 gtp that is pretty well modded (rockers, headers, ported s/c, tb, etc, etc) and his is still rolling fine on the stock motor with over 230k miles on it. (it is on the second tranny though)

Black
    1999 Z-28 LS1

I passed on it last night, just some other things that I found by searching the net. It also had a dent in the passenger side door, the hood was repaird (bad repair job), and the guy wanted a straight up trade. My suburban isnt the best around, but worth alot more than the pontiac. I made him an offer of his car and $700 cash and it was his, but he hymmed and hauled, so I just left. Now the wife wants an A4 T-Top Z28! I think she may have to twist my arm for that! (not much twisting tho!)

Thanks for all the input!

Mike

Thread Information