Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 69

Fuel Pump V-6

This is a discussion on Fuel Pump V-6 within the V6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Good Morning, After my fuel pump died in my V6 I decided to change it my self instead of spending ...

  1. #1
    Member flipsutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    37
    Posts
    141

    White
    1999 Firehawk

    Fuel Pump V-6

    Good Morning,

    After my fuel pump died in my V6 I decided to change it my self instead of spending a ton of money for someone else to do it.

    Here are the pics from the old pump.

    When I get the area cleaned up I will show pics of my cut that I did into the body.

    [IMG]

    [/IMG]

    Last edited by flipsutter; 05-01-2009 at 10:15 AM.

  2. #2
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Subscribed

  3. #3
    Member flipsutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    37
    Posts
    141

    White
    1999 Firehawk

    Talking

    Here are a few more pics that I just did. I'm off today so hopefully Monday I can get a plate made. I have a friend at work that has a CNC machine. Hopefully it will work.





    I used some sheet metal cutters to cut through the metal. After I made a simple opening for the cutters using a drimmel it probably took 20 minutes to do the cut. I took my time and this is what I came up with. I ended up drawing with a marker on the trunk area to have a better understanding on where I want my cuts. I used the drain plugs as a guide and went about 1 inch higher then the top of the drain plugs when I made my cut across.



    I bought these incase the ones on the old filter were busted. I decided to go ahead and use them instead of taking them off the old one.



    As you can see I had to back out the metal ring counter clockwise. This was no easy task. I ended up hitting it with a hammer and a block of wood 2 to 3 times along the edge and then went to the other side. Sorta like a star pattern. I also had to remove the fuel pressure sensor off the old one and put it on the new one I bought. The new one didn't come with it.



    I sealed it for right now with some good old tile and some blue masking tape. Once I get the plate made and drilled I will install it.


    Just remember. Take your time.

  4. #4
    Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    here
    Posts
    3,693
    2001

    Quote Originally Posted by flipsutter View Post
    Here are a few more pics that I just did. I'm off today so hopefully Monday I can get a plate made. I have a friend at work that has a CNC machine. Hopefully it will work.

    Click for full size

    Click for full size

    I used some sheet metal cutters to cut through the metal. After I made a simple opening for the cutters using a drimmel it probably took 20 minutes to do the cut. I took my time and this is what I came up with. I ended up drawing with a marker on the trunk area to have a better understanding on where I want my cuts. I used the drain plugs as a guide and went about 1 inch higher then the top of the drain plugs when I made my cut across.

    Click for full size

    I bought these incase the ones on the old filter were busted. I decided to go ahead and use them instead of taking them off the old one.

    Click for full size

    As you can see I had to back out the metal ring counter clockwise. This was no easy task. I ended up hitting it with a hammer and a block of wood 2 to 3 times along the edge and then went to the other side. Sorta like a star pattern. I also had to remove the fuel pressure sensor off the old one and put it on the new one I bought. The new one didn't come with it.

    Click for full size

    I sealed it for right now with some good old tile and some blue masking tape. Once I get the plate made and drilled I will install it.
    Click for full size

    Just remember. Take your time.
    looks like mine.....i made a cover out of sheetmetal,screwed it down and sealed it up with rtv

  5. #5
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    why the hell would you cut into your sheet metal to change the pump? why not be a normal person and drop the tank?

    Theres no way in hell id "save money" by cutting holes in my car

  6. #6
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    why the hell would you cut into your sheet metal to change the pump? why not be a normal person and drop the tank?

    Theres no way in hell id "save money" by cutting holes in my car
    most of the people on this site would rather cut it.. its about 60/40 on drilling the hole. What happens when your fuel pump goes out on a road trip? Tow bill + fuel pump bill plus install bill(for you guys that dont do it yourself instead of having a bud pick you up a pump and tools and change it there.

    GM should have made an access panel there.

  7. #7
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    I guess fuel pumps going out isnt something that i plan on happening on a regular basis.

    Should i cut holes in my fender wells to make changing plugs easier?

  8. #8
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    I guess fuel pumps going out isnt something that i plan on happening on a regular basis.

    Should i cut holes in my fender wells to make changing plugs easier?
    Totally different location of the vehicle that has moving parts near it.

  9. #9
    Member flipsutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Arkansas
    Age
    37
    Posts
    141

    White
    1999 Firehawk

    If I was lucky enough to know someone who has a lift then that would have been the way I went. But after the 65 buck tow plus the cost of the fuel pump I'm already down a ton. And seeing as how money is tight and I plan on keeping this car for a while I thought it was a great investment in doing it this way. I'm not telling you you should cut into your car. I'm just showing you how I did mine and for those people out there that don't mind doing this sort of job to their car.

    And to be honest. A normal person would have designed a hatch when designing this car so getting to the fuel pump wouldn't have been a 1k job in the first place.

  10. #10
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    I say do it how you like. I would'nt cut my car up. You may only have to change a fuel pump once, maybe twice, ever. Once you cut a panel it's cut forever, unless you weld in a new panel part. That area will rust and rot out. There's no good way to treat the area between for rust because the fuel tank is right there. Once rust starts it will spread throughout that panel. Also if the panel is not properly repaired, exhaust could leak near/around that area. Vapors could enter the vehicle there. Up to you though.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-01-2009 at 02:21 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif


    Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

  11. #11
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I say do it how you like. I would'nt cut my car up. You may only have to change a fuel pump once, maybe twice, ever. Once you cut a panel it's cut forever, unless you weld in a new panel part. That area will rust and rot out. There's no good way to treat the area between for rust because the fuel tank is right there. Once rust starts it will spread throughout that panel. Also if the panel is not properly repaired, exhaust could leak near/around that area. Vapors could enter the vehicle there. Up to you though.
    Seems like paint/ POR 15 and some of that black adhesive caulk that you see on the front of engine bays for YYYEEEEAAARRRSSS would prevent it.

  12. #12
    I like turtles GTP231's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corn and Soybean fields
    Posts
    5,397

    Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

    I've seen cars with that cut in there for years. Haven't seen one rust yet. 97-03 Grand Prixs have a bolt in panel factory

  13. #13
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Seems like paint/ POR 15 and some of that black adhesive caulk that you see on the front of engine bays for YYYEEEEAAARRRSSS would prevent it.
    Anywhere there's bare metal it will rust unless treated.

  14. #14
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I've seen cars with that cut in there for years. Haven't seen one rust yet. 97-03 Grand Prixs have a bolt in panel factory
    Factory did'nt cut them out with tin snips, aviation cutters, dremels, grinders.etc.etc....

  15. #15
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Factory did'nt cut them out with tin snips, aviation cutters, dremels, grinders.etc.etc....
    Just because a robot did it doesnt mean to much. Im sure some fabricators on here like that guy who made the full metal lower/upper airbox/pulleys could do a much better job that stock over time.

  16. #16
    ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    9,965

    White
    2008 Hummer H3

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Just because a robot did it doesnt mean to much. Im sure some fabricators on here like that guy who made the full metal lower/upper airbox/pulleys could do a much better job that stock over time.
    I'm sure there are...........But I believe a machine stamps and cuts the sheet metal in one movement. Robots I think do the all the welding for consistant spot welds. In the same time a fabricator takes to devise a door for removeing a fuel pump ONCE, I'd already have had the tank dropped and pump in! Nothing wrong with fabbing metal. I do it for a living, I just dont like cuting up the uni-body for anything. With the right tools any job is made easier..Not putting anyone down, just my opy and the way I try to do things is all..
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-03-2009 at 08:55 AM.

  17. #17
    I like turtles GTP231's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corn and Soybean fields
    Posts
    5,397

    Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

    I can swap a pump in about 45 minutes making a trap door. Food for thought. Pnuematic cut off wheels are a wonderful thing

  18. #18
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Beaver Dam KY
    Posts
    7,746

    79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

    Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I can swap a pump in about 45 minutes making a trap door. Food for thought. Pnuematic cut off wheels are a wonderful thing
    Think there is a 15 minute eating a candy bar and jerking off to the british boobies thread in that time as well

  19. #19
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I'm sure there are...........But I believe a machine stamps and cuts the sheet metal in one movement. Robots I think do the all the welding for consistant spot welds. In the same time a fabricator takes to devise a door for removeing a fuel pump ONCE, I'd already have had the tank dropped and pump in! Nothing wrong with fabbing metal. I do it for a living, I just dont like cuting up the uni-body for anything. With the right tools any job is made easier..Not putting anyone down, just my opy and the way I try to do things is all..
    agreed

    I had to drop the tank in my truck once, its a pain, yes, but id do that before cutting a hole.

    Its a permanent solution to a temporary problem

  20. #20
    I like turtles GTP231's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Corn and Soybean fields
    Posts
    5,397

    Gray/ White
    10 Impreza 83 Thunderturd

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    Think there is a 15 minute eating a candy bar and jerking off to the british boobies thread in that time as well
    That and swapping out the pump in the sending unit for a 255

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fuel pump fuel guage issues on my '02 B4C
    By ANDYZ28 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-29-2014, 11:30 AM
  2. Pontiac Fuel Pumps - Do You Have The Right Fuel Pump?
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 10:20 PM
  3. LS1 all yr fuel injectors, oe fuel rail, pump,more
    By Frost in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 03:26 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2006, 07:23 PM
  5. Fuel Pump Pump Problem?????? Help!
    By undertakersT/A in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-24-2006, 10:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •