Thread: Exhaust ?

White
    Chevy Camaro

Exhaust ?

This is for all of you fellow sixers out there because none of my LS1 buddies can understand my problem. I'm one of those guys who likes stuff done correctly. And when I had my last exhaust done....... 3 inch pipe, Vortex muffler, high flow cat....... the idiot at the muffler shop just welded a piece of small pipe from some other old car into the spot where it comes off the cat and curves towards the middle of the car. It looks horrible and I think that's why it still sounds so restricted. It's like a 2 inch pipe going into a 3 inch!!

Anyways..... I want to replace my whole exhaust because now I can't stand it with the cam that I just had installed. I'm thinking of going with Texas Speed's Rumbler but where can I find that short section of pipe after the cat that curves towards the middle of the car.... you know what I mean? I want to make sure that it's completely opened up. Or do you think that a muffler shop can make a new piece of pipe. I was just wondering if you could order that specific piece from somewhere. Sorry so long. Thanks a lot guys!

Black
    97 Firebird

A "Cat-back" exhaust replaces everything from the cat back. The piece after the cat you are talking about is called the I pipe. If you're going to get a catback setup like the TSP Rumbler you're looking at, it comes with the I pipe and everything you need after the cat, all catback's do. You don't need to try and get a shop to make you another section of pipe, this catback will bolt right up in place of that pipe right after your catalytic converter. Just rip the old one out, bolt your catback on and you're good to go, no fooling around with sections of pipe or anything. Hope that helps.
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I think he's talkin about the section from the left that is not a part of a catback

White
    Chevy Camaro

^That's what I'm talking about. I've seen the Rumbler exhaust and it only comes up to where the y-pipe is on a V8. From that spot there's another two feet or so of pipe before the cat on a V6. I was just seeing if anyone else had problems finding the whole pipe section for their V6. Thanks again.

2000pontiac6
    Are you talking about the pipe after the cat towards the rear of the car or towards the front? Towards the rear is called the S pipe hence the s shape it has.

White
    Chevy Camaro

Alrighty..... I just figured that out on another site. That's what I need and I know where to get it. Thanks anyways!

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

a vee 8 will solve your problems

White
    Chevy Camaro

I'm not gonna puss out that easily.

Hotrod
    Put cut-outs on it and run the headers wide-open!

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Lightbulb

Here is what I did. From the 3" Collector/Cat inlet, I bought a piece of 4' 3" pipe from Summit Racing. I had the local shop bend it to match the S shape and from there I them finish the 3" to the axle then a Split to 2, 2.5" outlets.
    I run 24" 3"I/O Summit Glasspack. to tone it down a bit more, I may put a
    2.5" Round MagnaFlow muffler on each exit. Valve float on mine sounds horrible once you hit 3k rpms. -Tim

White
    Chevy Camaro

Well I finally fixed another problem with my exhaust. I have these stainless steel Z28 tips.... you know the rectangle ones. Well I kept hearing this freakin whining noise at certain rpms from my exhaust. It sounded like my car was playing the violin when I accelerated. Well come to find out those piece of crap tips were rattling enough to make it whine really loud. So the good ol' hacksaw took care of those! Sounds like a whole new exhaust. I never new tips could effect the sound so much!

Thread Information