Light Pewter (11)
    2001 Camaro

Change oil M5 gearbox

hi,
    I have a 2001 3.8V6 Camaro, with M5 manual gearbox.
    the car has only run 37.300 km (23.000 miles), and the oil of the gearbox has never changed.

Do i need to change this fluid, and does the M5 gearbox has a filter like the automatic ?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by pv-camaro View Post
    hi,
    I have a 2001 3.8V6 Camaro, with M5 manual gearbox.
    the car has only run 37.300 km (23.000 miles), and the oil of the gearbox has never changed.

Do i need to change this fluid, and does the M5 gearbox has a filter like the automatic ?
    Well if it's the original gear oil from the factory I'd say yes change it because it degrades over time even with low mileage.. The m5 does'nt have a filter as it has no pump to move the gear oil around..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Light Pewter (11)
    2001 Camaro

thanks Smittro,

for your fast responce, what kind of oil do i need ?
    is there a plug to let it out ?, and how do you check it, if there is enough fluid in the gearbox.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pv-camaro View Post
    thanks Smittro,

for your fast responce, what kind of oil do i need ?
    is there a plug to let it out ?, and how do you check it, if there is enough fluid in the gearbox.
    No prob..
    Manual trans lube should be checked every 15,000 miles or 12 months. Checking the level every other engine oil change wont hurt. The fill plug is located above the drain plug. They will be flat looking plugs (side of trans)and may have a couple of threads visible. Each plug will have either a square or hex shaped hole for you to get a large Alen key, or a 3/8 drive ratchet/breaker bar (without socket/extension) into for removal and tightening.. Full level is usually to the bottom edge of the upper plug hole. DON"T OVER TIGHTEN.. Fill till the fluid just starts to come back out of the upper hole, this indicates the case's full level.. The proper type of gear lube will be listed in your owners manual.. I can't think of it off hand as I have and auto.. Just be sure the trans is as level as you can get it using jack stands or a lift to securely support your vehicle because it will take some force to break the plugs loose for the first time and helps ensure the full level is correct.. A small peice of rubber vacc line (about 10-12 inches long or so) attached to the "nipple" of the lube bottle will help make life a little easier when filling..
    Last edited by Smittro; 07-19-2010 at 06:16 AM.

Thread Information