1999 Grand am

can a 3400 from 99 GA swap into v-6 firebird?

Ok here's the deal...Probablay a dumb question but here we go. Will a 3400 (E code)from a 2000 Grand Am swap into a 94 Firebird 3400 (s-code)? I just got done swapping a motor in my 2000 Grand Am GT about 2 days ago, and today I picked up a 94 Firebird with a good body and a blown motor. I know for a fact that the grand am motor I pulled out just needs head gaskets replaced and ran great other than the overheating issue,and the firebird motor was half way dismantled when I got it, so who knows what the deal is there. I know the (E code)pushes a bit more horsepower and I would rather use and rebuild what I already have to save a little money. They are both the 60 degree 3400 so i guess I am unclear as to why the swap wouldn't work.I know this may end up being a stupid question, knowing that the grand am is FWD and the Firebird is RWD. Just trying to work out a game plan and pondering a few ideas, any clairification into if this would or would not be possible be helpfull.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black/Carbon
    95 Camaro

knowing that the grand am is FWD and the Firebird is RWD
    thats the problem, however the top end (complete) is interchangable and will give the firebird a big bump in HP. when i say complete u cannot change just the UMI u will need to change the heads LIM UMI ect. if u search 60v6 forums u will find out all the needed info
    P.S. the firebird is not a 3400 its a 3.4 close but not the same

red
    2001 v6 camaro

Yea he has it right^^. im sure you could do a complete swap, but it would be a lot of fab and a big headache. The top swap is commoon on these (i think the pistons from the 3400 might have to be used as well) The guy with the 500 hp 3.4 build on here could help you out for sure. (Forced_Firebird)

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Swap has been done, but if you are trying to save money by using the 3400, then you are going backwards.

The motor mounts aren't the same, the oil pan will hit the k member, the starter is on the wrong side etc etc...

If you have the shortblock in the car still, your best bet is to pull the RWD 3.4, put in the rods/pistons from the 3400, and put the entire 3400 top end on it. You will then have what we like to call a "hybrid", that will put out about as much power as a 3800. If you really want to get frisky, use a 3500 top end and the stock RWD pistons to have an 11.5:1SCR screamer, but that's not going to go over well with the un-tunable OBD1.5 ECM in the Firebird.

Do a goole search on my user name, I have discussed this many times on several boards.

EDIT: I see you already found the thread here that Russell started...

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4706
    3.4/3500 Twin Turbo almost complete
    I have CNC machines, contact me if you need something. 3500 top ends available.

-John

Thread Information