Thread: Best upgrades

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Best upgrades

I drive a 1999 Firebird with the 3.8 liter or the 3800 series 2, the tranny is an automatic 4L60E, im wanting too know the best upgrades, bolt ons an everyhting that will make my car better, so if anybody has any input let me know im lookin to know the brand the part an the price range. And yes i know the best upgrade would be to step up to the 5.7 liter trans am with the 6 speed tranny lol but that will come sooner or later. so thanks for your advice an input.

Awaiting Activation

Black
    RIP S4 06Tbss

Dont spend your money save it and well you know the rest.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

. But you could twin turb... nevermind. Save, save, save.

Black
    1999 T/A WS.6

Air lid, exhaust. The usual stuff. You can't really get a whole lot out of that engine without dumping some money into a turbo and other shit. (which would be better spent on the 8 )

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

just drive it enjoy the good gas miles cheap insurance and save your money to get a v8 then mod that

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I'd spend the money on either a nice stereo and sat radio, or on a good suspension setup. You don't need alot of power to be a canyon carver, and the factory ride can always be inproved on.

As far as modding the engine, not worth the money IMO. Unless you go crazy with it and go forced induction, you'll spend a ton of money on it and still not be able to keep up with a stock V8 F-Bod.

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

ya your all right ill just save for the best upgrade of all the 5.7 hellsss yaa lol but thanx i just needed that reality check that theres not alot you can do with the v6 except save for the v8, an yes ill enjoy my good gas milage an cheap insurance until then an ive already got the stero system so what more do i need

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

check the V6 section... i know there are people out there running v6 f-bods in the 12 and 11's...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by izzhemp View Post
    I drive a 1999 Firebird with the 3.8 liter or the 3800 series 2, the tranny is an automatic 4L60E, im wanting too know the best upgrades, bolt ons an everyhting that will make my car better, so if anybody has any input let me know im lookin to know the brand the part an the price range. And yes i know the best upgrade would be to step up to the 5.7 liter trans am with the 6 speed tranny lol but that will come sooner or later. so thanks for your advice an input.
    There's a shit ton of after market for the 3800 90*v6. The motors been around forever. Everything from headers, cams, turbos, superchargers and so on.
    The real question is how big is your piggy bank? Go by what it's worth to YOU. Not buy what it's worth to others. Best place to start is to research.
    I myself am not a huge fan of the 3800II that I have in my 01 Camaro. However the 3.8L has a very long racing history too, far longer than the LS1.
    If it were up to me everything would have a 60*v6. There are a hand full of things that can be done to the 3800II on a smaller budget. But as the guys said and money not to tight, I would seriously think about an LSx power plant. I was'nt able to get to it this year. But next year my Camaro, (plan)
    is getting striped to just a shell and started over with a stock LS1 setup. But it's also in excellent shape to start with (very well taken care of). You can easily get an LSx powered car but the chances of finding one that has not been monkeyed with or beaten into submission @ a reasonable price is getting narrow. However it's STILL a good starting point aswell. For me it would be stupid to trade my current Camaro in on a car that's been kicked to shit. EVEN if it has an LSx. IMHO. But hell it's an F-body they are ALL worth fixin' lol. Well except a few of the 2nd gen'ers (sorry guys) but never the less all are a good place to start if ya feel froggy enough to fixem'.. Have fun with it I say!
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-30-2009 at 04:24 AM.

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

With bolt-ons, cam and tune, you will be close to 300hp.

I know someone running 12.8 at 109 mph with cam and tune only (for the motor, the rest is suspension/setup), but them again, he competes in the stock eliminator class lol.
    3.4/3500 Twin Turbo almost complete
    I have CNC machines, contact me if you need something. 3500 top ends available.

-John

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Forced_Firebird View Post
    With bolt-ons, cam and tune, you will be close to 300hp.

I know someone running 12.8 at 109 mph with cam and tune only (for the motor, the rest is suspension/setup), but them again, he competes in the stock eliminator class lol.
    Wow. Cam only 3.8L car with a tune and shaved a full 3 seconds off in the quarter huh. That must be one hell of a cam and tuner!!!!

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Wow. Cam only 3.8L car with a tune and shaved a full 3 seconds off in the quarter huh. That must be one hell of a cam and tuner!!!!

I have seen the cam, but he won't let me have the specs

Has to maintain stock lift as well...

His company designed and printed my company t-shirts and we have been discussing me going up there to make some step headers to replace the stock 3800 cast tubular manis I wouldn't mind having a decal on his car.

And sorry, it's pure stock not stock eliminator he competes in.

I have seen 340hp from a highly modified 3.4 running in a Midget, but that was stuff most guys here couldn't/wouldn't do. Forged everything, BBC pushrods/rocker studs, custom ITB intake etc etc.

Thread Information