Black
    2002 Camaro v6

Auto Transmission shifts hard from 2to3 under WOT

I've noticed my transmission shifting very hard under WOT. It's like a hesitation and then a hard shift. It's got me concerned. I checked the fluid, it's got the right level in it and the fluid looks brand new. Any ideas to help me diagnose the problem?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Is this recent? My 98 always shifted pretty hard going into 3rd.

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Is this recent? My 98 always shifted pretty hard going into 3rd.
    Well I just got the car, so I just noticed it. The only code it throws is the MAF. I don't know jack about auto transmissions.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

buy some CRC MAF cleaner at your auto store and clean the MAF
    That isn't a code you want
    Dirty/faulty maf could cause your car to run all kinds of crazy you don't want

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

I did forget some details.

After getting the code read i pulled the MAF out to inspect it. It was very clean, almost new looking. I also inspected the screen, because I'm thinking a build up of oil/debris would mean it had a k&n filter on it and the oils from that got on the MAF. But, like i said, the MAF looked spotless.

Big question is, would the MAF being faulty do something to the ECU to make the shift points fk up?

These transmissions must have a filter under the pan, right? If that filter was in need of a change would it cause that?
    I hate transmissions

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Slow roll up hill slip when just giving it a little gas? Time to have the trany scanned and reprogrammed.. Mine slipped @ 26k.. Had it reprogrammed 4-5 years ago.. No trouble since.. Also if you're doing a trany fluid change, I recommend have it flushed and a filter change.. That way you can get all the crap out of the converter too. Also the MAP sensor directly effects the 3800-II f-body trany and fuel pressure regulator.. Which effects fuel (delivery) psi, and the trany line pressure under over rev conditions..
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-24-2010 at 07:18 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Could try pulling the MAP sensor and cleaning out the junk that's most likely built up inside the lower (small piece that the MAP clips into, made of black plastic) housing (2 torx to remove).. I don't recommend digging around in the small "breather" hole in the MAP itself tho.. If the small hole is clogged or has debris in it,, replace it.. The MAP sensor is part of the speed density side of our ECM's.. It works in concert with the MAF and IAT to adjust fuel delivery based on the readings between the sensors.. o2 included.. A problem @ the delivery level will have system wide effects including effects on the trany.. If there's a problem with the MAF, the ECM could be in SD mode, or even "limp" mode.. Like I said it does'nt matter what or how the sensor "appears".. You need a scanner, or tuning software to make any real determination of MAF proper operation.. If your MAF checked out bad it probably is.. As stated earlier, bad MAF can have system wide effects, cluding trany.. Good Luck
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-24-2010 at 07:42 AM.

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Could try pulling the MAP sensor and cleaning out the junk that's most likely built up inside the lower (small piece that the MAP clips into, made of black plastic) housing (2 torx to remove).. I don't recommend digging around in the small "breather" hole in the MAP itself tho.. If the small hole is clogged or has debris in it,, replace it.. The MAP sensor is part of the speed density side of our ECM's.. It works in concert with the MAF and IAT to adjust fuel delivery based on the readings between the sensors.. o2 included.. A problem @ the delivery level will have system wide effects including effects on the trany.. If there's a problem with the MAF, the ECM could be in SD mode, or even "limp" mode.. Like I said it does'nt matter what or how the sensor "appears".. You need a scanner, or tuning software to make any real determination of MAF proper operation.. If your MAF checked out bad it probably is.. As stated earlier, bad MAF can have system wide effects, cluding trany.. Good Luck
    OK, I am convinced. I'll be going to O'reillys this week to pick one up.
    Thanks

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

Wierd, just got back from a ride. The Check engine light is off now, but the surge/bumpy shift is still there. Even when it's not under full throttle. idk. Transmissions suck.

I'm wondering if I need to bring it to the stealership. I'm not sure there's a transmission shop for 100 miles.

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

btw, this is the second time the check engine light has turned off. I'm going to wait an hour or so and try again to see if it's back on.

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

What is the tranny code (name for it)? I'll do a few more searches on it.
    Auto 4

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by mroby View Post
    What is the tranny code (name for it)? I'll do a few more searches on it.
    Auto 4
    3800-II (auto) Non-y87 cars got the "MXO", and y87's like mine got the M30.... The 5spd is an M49...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wierd, just got back from a ride. The Check engine light is off now, but the surge/bumpy shift is still there. Even when it's not under full throttle. idk. Transmissions suck.

I'm wondering if I need to bring it to the stealership. I'm not sure there's a transmission shop for 100 miles.
    btw, this is the second time the check engine light has turned off. I'm going to wait an hour or so and try again to see if it's back on.
    Possibly a catalyst inefficientcy starting.. If your seeing a rich condition the cat can be damaged if exposed to raw/unburned fuel for periods of time.. All points back to the MAF issue as well as the driveablity issues.. Also just because the light goes out, does'nt mean it "ok" now.. The ECM is keeping a log of each event and will soon trigger a steady SES light .. After the proper repair the ECM will clear the code after a few start up and shut downs...

Black
    2002 Camaro v6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Possibly a catalyst inefficientcy starting.. If your seeing a rich condition the cat can be damaged if exposed to raw/unburned fuel for periods of time.. All points back to the MAF issue as well as the driveablity issues.. Also just because the light goes out, does'nt mean it "ok" now.. The ECM is keeping a log of each event and will soon trigger a steady SES light .. After the proper repair the ECM will clear the code after a few start up and shut downs...
    I will be getting a new MAF ASAP. Then I'm going to delete the cats. I haven't searched yet but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find an O2 sim for it.

Yes, I'm on the same page with you about the light going off and coming back on.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

I will be getting a new MAF ASAP. Then I'm going to delete the cats. I haven't searched yet but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find an O2 sim for it.

Yes, I'm on the same page with you about the light going off and coming back on.
    02 sims are a waste of money and are'nt known for their reliablity.. Best to have the rear 02 tuned out.. Running without a cat will through a cat code, but will NOT effect the vehicles performance.. The front 02 sensors are the important ones for the AFR's..

Thread Information