2000pontiac6

Question Anyone got a new cam in their 6?

I've been contemplating many options from headers to torque converter and now cam... How big of a horsepower gain did you see? Was it worth the install and how long did it take to put in? Hows it sound?

quicky06
    suposivly i do or so the guy i bought it from said. i havnt had time to break the engine apart and do what the car was bought to do (turboed) or the money. the car seems to run a lot stronger than the other v6 fbodies ive driven(02 camaro, 97 camaro) and mines a 99 rs

I swear it's just a v6!

Silver
    1997 Firebird V6

I still run a stock cam.

If you get an aftermarket one you will also need tuning which will be a couple hundred dollars.

What are your mods now?

The high stall converter was one of the best mods I ever purchased.

My old ProYank 3200 is currwently for sale, I went 0.7 quicker in the 1/4 mile with it.
    nitrous et & mph: 12.168 spinning, 110.95 mph
    n/a et & mph: 13.746, 96.38 mph
    Best 60 ft w/ et streets 1.584 spinning!
    check me out at www.bbbracing.com
    Beater - 2006 Mercedes E350 A7

Hotrod
    I ran the VS cam from www.zzperformance.com. It made a huge difference in the HP and it sounds really lopey with my headers. It runs with all other stock parts so I didn't have to replace the rockers or springs. And you don't have to get it utned, I just had to delete a few codes off which you can do with and OBDII.

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by 12secondv6
    What are your mods now?
    I have a magnaflow catback along with k&n intake and lid. What stall would you suggest? This car is my daily driver and is still going to have to be used in the winter if that helps any..

I just love the sound of a nice cam but I've been hearing the stall converter is the way to go

Hotrod
    IMO, a converter is only gonna help if you plan to drag-race it alot. They are not gonna improve HP really just your launch and 60' times at the track. But if your planning to race it, the converter will definately improve your track times.

2000pontiac6
    which of these mods WONT hurt gas milage?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    IMO, a converter is only gonna help if you plan to drag-race it alot. They are not gonna improve HP really just your launch and 60' times at the track. But if your planning to race it, the converter will definately improve your track times.
    Actually thats not true. A converter will allow you to get into your powerband alot sooner.

What will a higher stall torque converter do for my car?

1. A higher stall torque converter will multiply the torque of your engine to put more power and torque to the tires! The high stall torque converter will “slip” the engine into a higher rpm range where there is more torque and horsepower. This will make your car haul ass!

I swear it's just a v6!

Silver
    1997 Firebird V6

I saw 33 mpg with my 3200 Proyank and 3:23's

Intake and exhaust will free up a bit of HP.... but not alot.

The big ones are:
    converter n maybe gears
    blower, nitrous, turbo
    cam, valvetrain, etc

How much do you have to spend?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i have a comp cams zzperformance 210/210 in my 96 RS and i love it, it is not tuned right now for the cam but it still gave me a good 30 hp

2000pontiac6
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotrod
    I ran the VS cam from www.zzperformance.com. It made a huge difference in the HP and it sounds really lopey with my headers. It runs with all other stock parts so I didn't have to replace the rockers or springs. And you don't have to get it utned, I just had to delete a few codes off which you can do with and OBDII.
    What codes did you have to delete and why do they come up? Have they come back up? I would think codes come up for a reason and something that should be looked at. I am seriously considering this cam but i want to know about having to delete the codes

I swear it's just a v6!

Silver
    1997 Firebird V6

Since it would be driven in the winter.... no converter... traction would be out the window!

Intake and exhaust, ignition and suspension

White
    Chevy Camaro

I got Abbott's Comp Cam and I have an automatic. I haven't had it tuned yet but so far it's knocked a few tenths off the quarter mile. I'm going to throw in a torque converter and then get it tuned. Most are saying that that will probably knock another half a second off at least. I went the whole nine yards though and replaced all of my valvetrain. I like the peace of mind.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Doing performance enchancing mods and worrying about the Gas mileage is like Marrying a fat chick and worrying about the grocery bill -Tim

Black
    97 Firebird

^^^^

badassbluet

Thumbs up funny

Quote Originally Posted by PaganEgyptian
    Doing performance enchancing mods and worrying about the Gas mileage is like Marrying a fat chick and worrying about the grocery bill -Tim

Good anology!!!!!

Thread Information