Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98' Camaro v6 to 5.3L swap

Need to know what to change to make a 98' v6 Camaro to 5.3 work. So I was going to do an LS1 swap in my V6 but the perfect engine I found was sold the day before I was going to buy it (just my luck). Now I have the opportunity to do a 5.3 Iron block swap. I know a good amount of everything I need to change about the car for the 5.3 to work, but am not entirely sure. So could someone please list everything I need for this to work? Yes I understand having a Z28 is the best route to go for the swap but this car has sentimental value to me so this is the way I'd like to go Btw I will be modifying and changing parts to the engine and have what I'm doing to it planned out, but if you personally have any thoughts of what I should do to the engine then please do let me know! I'm going for speed! and a few months from now I do plan on turboing.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Drewman1298 View Post
    Need to know what to change to make a 98' v6 Camaro to 5.3 work. So I was going to do an LS1 swap in my V6 but the perfect engine I found was sold the day before I was going to buy it (just my luck). Now I have the opportunity to do a 5.3 Iron block swap. I know a good amount of everything I need to change about the car for the 5.3 to work, but am not entirely sure. So could someone please list everything I need for this to work? Yes I understand having a Z28 is the best route to go for the swap but this car has sentimental value to me so this is the way I'd like to go Btw I will be modifying and changing parts to the engine and have what I'm doing to it planned out, but if you personally have any thoughts of what I should do to the engine then please do let me know! I'm going for speed! and a few months from now I do plan on turboing.
    My first thought is if your modding it why settle for a 5.3L when there are a ton of 6.0L's out there? You are going to need a different intake, harness, ECM, and accessories no matter which engine you get, and plent more options to make power. Of course, the oldest LS3/L99 Camaros are 5 years old too, but it sounds like to you want an iron block for FI.

My next thought would be if you are pressed to do a turbo engine, 3.8's v6's like to one you have would be a great basis for one, and you could spend the money you would have spent on a V8 block and stuff to building your engine a pretty solid turbo capable block, and the savings for a top notch turbo system. Guys were using those engines to hit 12's with only a few mods in the 80's. Imagine what could be done now.

5.3 is cheaper! A lot cheaper from what ive seen. And apparently it may be aluminum, guy isn't sure. And because I'd rather wait to have a turbo setup on a better engine than just have the 3.8 turbo. I thought about it before but I'd just rather wait to get more power especially since winters around the corner and I'll have time to work on it. Plus you should look up on YouTube how much power those 5.3's can handle with a turbo!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I know for an LS1 you need the transmission, engine cradle, motor mounts, radiator, fuel pump assembly, gauge cluster, BCM, PCM, harnesses, hoses, and some suspension components come to mind also. While a cool idea, almost everyone who attempts these swaps stray away from them after figuring out the true cost to do it. The easiest way is to have a donor V8 since you need so many of the parts from it. 5.3 is similar I'd reckon. Never looked at it in detail though.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

5.3 is cheaper! A lot cheaper from what ive seen. And apparently it may be aluminum, guy isn't sure. And because I'd rather wait to have a turbo setup on a better engine than just have the 3.8 turbo. I thought about it before but I'd just rather wait to get more power especially since winters around the corner and I'll have time to work on it. Plus you should look up on YouTube how much power those 5.3's can handle with a turbo!
    I know that the 5.3 can do a lot of power, my point about the 6.0 is everything the 5.3 can do , the 6.0 can do better and easier. For what you are planning to do, the difference in price between a 5.3 and a 6.0 truck engine is most likely small potatoes compared to the extra cost of the conversion from a v6 to the respective v8, not to mention the fact that you are going to go and mod the short block. Heck, new 6.0 blocks are pretty darned cheap on thier own.

Price is one of main reasons why the iron 6.0 is such a common swap on 4th gens for people who want serious power.

As far as not going to a 3.8 turbo, I understand that six cylinder isn't as cool as a eight, but how much horsepower and torque are you looking to make?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

3800 Turbo V6...one bad ass mofo

Scott's right on 6.0's best damn block you can get (Not comparing to aftermarket). Excellent base for many builds. You can use LS1 style heads or LS3 heads.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Where are you finding 6.0's for a decent price? Because the 5.3 I was about to get was for $800 with 105,000 miles on it. Even though I haven't looked super hard, I haven't seen a 6.0 for a good price around here.

Navy Blue Metallic

I know you can get a 408ci 6Liter block from Summit for about $800.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I know you can get a 408ci 6Liter block from Summit for about $800.
    This is absolutely correct and actually cheaper as I have bought one and everything was within spec. It was $750 to my door. They are painted black, bored out to 4.030, cleaned and oiled. They are basically ready for assembly, may require a final hone but that is it.

I am actually using this block in my 421 ci all out NA build.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Link to one?

So if I go the 6.0 block route. What price range am I looking at for a finished product. By finished I mean car is ready to drive. Yes I could add it it all up but I figure that since some of you have done it, you can give me the best estimate.

Navy Blue Metallic

Here are some of my cost's (mostly highlights)

Block cost's
    LQ4 block cost me $325
    K1 Forged 4" Crank - $850
    DSS Forged Pistons - $400
    SCAT I Beam Forged Rods -$400
    ARP Bolts (Main's, rods, etc) -$600
    Bearings (King) - $180
    Gaskets (all new) - $400
    Melling 10296 HV/HO Oil pump - $140
    LS2 Timing Chain -$50
    Polluter stg3 Cam - $375

Top End:
    FAST 102 - $900
    NW TB- $370
    LS2 Fuel Rail -$50
    LS3 injectors Used (plus adapters and spacers) - $250
    Used set of 243 Heads - $400
    Valve Covers and coil pack mount - $130
    BTR Dual-Plat springs .650 lift - $340
    LS7 Lifters - $100
    Machine Shop fees - $1200 (This covered bore out to 4.005", line bore mains for new crank & ARP studs, cylinder deck level, tanked and complete rebuild of cyl heads).
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 07-30-2015 at 12:17 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic

One of your biggest cost that you need to factor whether going to 5.3 or any LS block is the K-member.

Used they go anywhere form $300-$500.

Anything close to $500 I recommend going to UMI and get theirs. It's better and makes life so much easier when you need to deal with oil pan or anything that the stock K member hides.

I should add that 5.3's are good turbo builds, go a couple in my area and they are stupid fast. I know one is putting down 700+ on stock internals.

If 5.3's are all that you can find, go for it. We are just trying to help open other options for you.

For example, with a 6.0 using LS3 heads and Vic Jr intake it will make one wicked turbo monster.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 07-30-2015 at 12:23 PM.

Black/ Silver

98' Camaro v6 to 5.3L swap

You can buy an assembled long block for $4000 or so depending on the items used in it. Mine cost around $10,000 but I have a lot of high end parts.

Navy Blue Metallic

^^ Yeah he does....

Yes and I truly do appreciate all your help! You guys are very kind to be spending your time to give me your input. It's just as much as the 6.0 would be amazing, I just can't afford to put that together at the moment it seems. So I figured if I do the 5.3 now it will give me a good guideline to know this car better and be able to know what I really want to do with my car in the in the future in regards to if I should spend a lot of money on making it how I really want it. So I think I'm just going to stick with the 5.3 for now, put 799 heads on it, a more aggressive cam, etc, you know all that good stuff and see where I'm at. I'm hoping to get the 5.3 to about 400 hp, ride it for a good two months and then possibly turbo from there. I'm hoping to spend around 2500 for everything to get the car ready to drive. Not as familiar with working with GM cars like the Camaro while doing a v6 model to a v8 swap so it will be a learning experience for me but I love the car so I want to make it happen. Does this sound reasonable to you guys? Anything I should really know before I start? Planning on getting the engine Monday most likely and starting on ordering all the parts then too. What do you guys think

Black/ Silver

Here's the block I was talking about it appears that they don't sell it anymore though or that it has a new part number.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/sum-150105-30

Your goals and wants are reasonable you can definitely get 400 hp out of a 5.3 it is just easier in a 6.0 without FI. One thing you should definitely know beforehand is what all you actually need to drop the LS in so you aren't blind sighted.

And that's pretty everything listed here plus new rear axle you suppose?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

And that's pretty everything listed here plus new rear axle you suppose?
    Thats pretty much true, thats why people were mentioning getting a donor car.

My best suggestion is to do as much research as you can, from this website, others, magazines like Car Craft, etc. Find where there are guys that have these cars and hang out with them a bit, if you arent close enough to some of the guys here.

If you take that extra time and effort to research and learn more, while putting the money you would have already had spent on an engine combo, to go back into later, you could take what you learned and make it to where you get it where you want it to be the first time. You never know, you might find a 5.3 setup that will rock you world the first time, maybe you might find a deal of the lifetime LS7 block for a song!

If the money is still burning an unsatiable hole in your pocket, do suspension, chasis, and rear end mods that you will end up making great use of when the car does have the power.

There are a lot of cool options, and every day those options grow as GM's powertrain line grows.

What rear axle do you think I should get? Just a Z28's? Or what do you recommend. Not sure how much they can handle

Thread Information