Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Question 94 3.4... what to do?

Seriously, don't bother telling me to sell it and get a V-8... you'll be wasting your breath. I have my reasons for hanging onto the car.

Ok... I've got an automatic 3.4... pretty much as slow as the 4th gens come, blah. What do you guys think I should do? I've considered building the 3.4, doing the 3400 head swap and going with either nitrous or a turbo kit, swapping an LT1, an LS1, or an LS2. So far, my favorites are either keeping the 3.4, or going for the LS2. I'm not really interested in the LT1, unless it is massively simple/cheaper than my other options, and I would much rather go LS2 instead of LS1, well, just because its "different".

From what I've read around here, people frown on the LS2 swap because a different computer and some wiring are required, but that really doesn't apply in my case, because I'd need to do all the same shit for an LS1. For either of these swaps, I'm more concerned with what would be required with the tranny/driveshaft/rear-end, because I have not been able to find that information. I would assume that I'd need to source all of those parts from an LS1 f-body... but if anything from a GTO is compatible, that would be great too. (I realise the rear end would be totally different, and the shaft too likely, but the tranny would be compatible, no?) I am capable of doing most of the work myself, short of fabrication.(I have a knack for wiring, so Im not concerned there) So what would I need, and how much do you think I could get it for?

As far as the 3.4 is concerned, I would be able to keep most of my stock components, or swap them for LT1 parts (drivetrain), which would keep the cost/simplicity down... I understand that the bottem end is forged from the factory(although I have no clue why), but the heads/mani are the biggest crap on the engine... the 3400 head/mani/fuel swap is no prob for me to pull off, along with a rebuild of the bottem end(stock specs), would leave me with a 170-ish whp car... now, a 100 shot on top of that would put me in the 270 hp range (stock ls1 territory) and well into the 350 ft/lb range (better then stock ls1)... considering that my car is 200-300lbs lighter then the newer Z28/SS's, I would have a slight advantage in speed, fuel economy(when not spraying of course), and sleeper-ness, as well as being almost completely unique. Not really a bad option for me, because Im really not looking for anything more then a 12 second car... (I am aware that what I described here would not be good for 12s, but close enough that I could work it)

Or, alternitively, I could go for a turbo kit, which would send me to considerably higher hp numbers, but with considerably high costs... Which, if im stickin to the 3.4, I really don't feel like dumping the whole bank account into it you know?

As for the LT1... unless I could pull that off cheaper then the rebuild/nitrous idea, and it being a freakin direct bolt in, I'm not going to bother.

Any feedback, ideas, comments, or just plain information would be highly appreciated!

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

Spray it until it pops and then drop a LC2 3.8 in there...

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Oh, and dan, do you have any idea what that would entail? If thats feasible, that would be a really sweet option.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

This swap has been done a lot, but the LC2 drivetrains are starting to get scarce. There was even a article in GMHTP about a company that does this swap, so maybe you could give them a call. Minimum you would need:
    Engine/trans
    ECM
    Wiring harness
    Motor mounts/plate

Check with the 1989 TTA guys...they already have a LC2 in basically the same platform.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Alright, I'll check into that, thanks.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

why dont you just boost your 6 banger if youre so attached to it. been done many times.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I had a 98 F-bod with the 3800 5-speed. Had the performance handling package option -posi, cool wheels,some other stuff. Had a blast with that car- I could race the Mustang boys and out run the 4.6 and embarrass the 5.0 guys too. Of course all the import dudes wanted to race too and it would kick their butts unless they were heavily modified. My point is-it was a fun car with just the stock set-up. A blower would have been really fun. Still I haven't regretted buying my LS1 Z, now I don't get nearly as many jackasses always trying to see what the V-6 will do. Mostly they see the Z badges and back-off- I like that , but that's just me.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Well, the car is my girlfriends first car, which she gave to me, hoping that I could make something out of it.

I don't really have the extra cash to go to a shop, and I don't really need to. I went to UTI, and I've got 2 friends(brothers) who did too, one of thems a chevy tech, and other ones a honda tech(theres a joke there somewhere)... between the 3 of us, we can handle pretty much anything(short of welding)

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

what about a supercharged swap from a monte carlo or impala? still a v6 but more possibilities. the hot rod guys have been swapping them and caddy northstar engines into rear drive cars for years now. I'm just not sure who makes the parts to do the swap.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4706

oh, and the bashers can stay out. either be useful in what he wants to accomplish or stay out. if you can't stay out and be useful, expect a vacation.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

green
    95 firebird

If you are going to do a swap, then swap in an LS2 if you can find a good price on one. Swapping in a 3.8, LT1, or LS1 would be around the same amount of work I think. Do you have a price range? A swap would make it the fastest. You can swap in heads and add full bolt ons then spray it, but most likely that still wouldn't give you the power of an LS2.

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

Just curious...what's your reason to hold on to this car? No offense, but the 3.4 litre v-6 w/automatic was pretty much the weakest cars of the 4th gens. If you want more horsepower...just sell it, you can get an LT1 bird for about $5g's w/ miles. Listen, if you love you're 3.4 that much just keep it, and buy another bird with an LT1 and keep your v-6 , that will be cheaper than pissing money on performance parts on an old v-6.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

if you want the V6 keep it and mod it. if you want the V8 trade it since it would probly be cheaper. as for the V6 i think with engine mods, drivetrain mods(stall and gears), and a turbo you should be pretty quick. i had a 3.4 and it would beat my friends 3.8 mustang.

red
    1999 Camaro V6

didnt read the above posts, but if you're wanting to stick with a 6 banger, put in a 3800 motor. then you actually have tuning options and blower options etc etc. some guys are boosting the stock 3800 (camaro motor, not the GTP motor) to 400rwhp... and it will live.

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

check over at camarov6.com good info regarding 3.4/3.8 f-bodys.

almost forgot this one: fullthrottlev6.com im sure members on either of those sites can help you out more so than here considering both those sites revolve around 3.4/3.8 f-bodys.

hope this helps.

g'luck
    Last edited by Boomer Sooner; 09-30-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Sofa King we Todd did

Black
    1990 Firebird

Put the top end from a 3500 on there with a hot cam, and you'll be faster than LT1's. Your biggest hurdle is tuning since there's no options for the OBD1.5.
    3.4/3500 Twin Turbo almost complete
    I have CNC machines, contact me if you need something. 3500 top ends available.

-John

Black
    1999 Trans Am FIREHAWK

Hmmm either do bolt-ons to the 3.4L ( easy stuff ) cam, headers ect and keep your fuel mileage or maybe something different like an Old Aurora 4.0L V8 Engine swap , can you say Shelby Series 1 ???
    1999 T/A FIREHAWK - SLP Lid & Bellow,LT`s & Catted Y & Power-Flo Catback , MSD & NGK , UMI 3P SFC,ADJ PHB,STB,LCA`s & Relos , Eibach Pro Kit , Bilstine/SLP Shocks , MAC Diff Cover , BFG & OE Wheels C5DD 18x9.5/10.5 , HID 8000K Headlights - Dyno`d @ 319.07 HP & 327.23 Ft-lb ( Tuned by Champ Motors )

Thread Information