Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

green
    1994 camaro

Unhappy 3.4L forged internal kit?

hey everyone. im a 17 year old addict to cars. i recently got a 94 camaro 3.4l and it blew =/ like rod threw block blew. so i want to build a bada$$ 3.4L forced induction and bottle including only problem is im kinda new only one v8 rebuild (with help) under my belt. i need to find a new block and more importantly im having problems finding a site to order a forged internals or high HP rebuild kit for a 3.4L from.. any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! thanks guys! and yes im sure i don't just wanna move up to a v8. (can't tell you how many times ive heard that lol) but seriously thank you and looking forward to some seasoned advice and hopefully finding the internals i want.

white
    2000 Z28

3.8 liter stuff is way easier to find. grand national motor is a turboed 3.8 and makes 500 hp on many tried and true setups. or even the grand prix gtp is a supercharged 3.8. the grand national motor has alot more builds that i know of compared to the gtp motor but it really depends on how high your goals are. ive never really heard anything at all about a performance 3.4 liter though

Black/Carbon
    95 Camaro

Yer in the wrong forum area. Camarov6.com 60degreev6 fullthrottlev6 or the v6 area here labeled "v6" would all be better options have fun good luck. P.S. Ur best bet would be the hybrid 3400/3500 with 3.4 bottom

Black/Carbon
    95 Camaro

From what I read the 3.4 has better potential then the 3.8 does. I wouldn't swap caus u will also have to do a obdII swap the 3800 were introduced late 95. For around 500 u can be pushing more hp then the 3.8 with stock gm parts just top end bolt ons I was talkin about .. Research it , search learn then pwn

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 00z28bubba View Post
    3.8 liter stuff is way easier to find. grand national motor is a turboed 3.8 and makes 500 hp on many tried and true setups. or even the grand prix gtp is a supercharged 3.8. the grand national motor has alot more builds that i know of compared to the gtp motor but it really depends on how high your goals are. ive never really heard anything at all about a performance 3.4 liter though
    really? http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...hlight=insight there ya go bud.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-08-2009 at 02:23 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

He isn't talking about the DOHC 3.4s.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    He isn't talking about the DOHC 3.4s.
    I'm not that new here bud that's just my sig. the link i posted covers his question.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-08-2009 at 02:52 PM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

3.4L connecting rods are forged from factory btw.

Black/Carbon
    95 Camaro

I thought they were Smittro but didnt wanna say it before i did further research, they are lol. and no the 94 Camaro is not DOHC 93-95 is 3.4 OHV i have a 95 3.4 OHV Forcefed Firebird in the V6 section mabe be able 2 tell u where to get ut top end send him a PM

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Iyyob View Post
    I thought they were Smittro but didnt wanna say it before i did further research, they are lol. and no the 94 Camaro is not DOHC 93-95 is 3.4 OHV i have a 95 3.4 OHV Forcefed Firebird in the V6 section mabe be able 2 tell u where to get ut top end send him a PM
    yeah I understand quite a bit about the 60* as I'm sure you can tell.LOL I dropped him a direct link to a good write up from Russel. Forced Firebirds Hybrid 3.4 ohv build is there too. Just pointin' him in the right direction for his questions. Yes you're right about the 60* ohv in early 4th gens. No Camaro had the tdc from factory. They should have though in my oppinion. The tdc stock will run rings around any stock 3.4l ohv. Russel points out some real design flaws in the ohv 60*. Good place to start. Mines mostly one offs cause there's nearly no after market for the tdc.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-09-2009 at 12:38 AM.

green
    1994 camaro

thanks igettin good feedback especially about the connecting arms already bein forged. what about piston heads? id on't wana blow them when i run 20 jlbs of boost and juice it ya know?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalinejunkie View Post
    thanks igettin good feedback especially about the connecting arms already bein forged. what about piston heads? id on't wana blow them when i run 20 jlbs of boost and juice it ya know?
    Pistons are NOT forged in the ohv motor. That's a lot of boost man. And juice sheeze. Better get your wallet ready for the hurtin' you're bout to put on it lol. Good luck, and keep us posted on your build, and post the pics of the build too.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-09-2009 at 12:35 AM.

green
    1994 camaro

thanks alot smittro. i plan on keepin it all posted as im gonna need aadvice from good people like yourself. so i know im gonna do the 3400 or 3500 hybrid top end like forced firebird and you told me the connecting arms are forged from the factory. and you also said that the pistons are NOT forged. so can i buy a kit for it with forged pistons? or would that be a waste or will i need it running boost and juice? lol yeah i know its expensive and ambitious but the looks on the big v8 guys faces around here when they get blown away by a v6 will be worth it. lol lol i should even be able to win some money back. no offense to any of them (bcuz i was one at one point) but there is nothing bigger than some of the attitudes of the v8 guys when lookin at something with less than 8 cylinders. lol so what you think?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

thanks alot smittro. i plan on keepin it all posted as im gonna need aadvice from good people like yourself. so i know im gonna do the 3400 or 3500 hybrid top end like forced firebird and you told me the connecting arms are forged from the factory. and you also said that the pistons are NOT forged. so can i buy a kit for it with forged pistons? or would that be a waste or will i need it running boost and juice? lol yeah i know its expensive and ambitious but the looks on the big v8 guys faces around here when they get blown away by a v6 will be worth it. lol lol i should even be able to win some money back. no offense to any of them (bcuz i was one at one point) but there is nothing bigger than some of the attitudes of the v8 guys when lookin at something with less than 8 cylinders. lol so what you think?
    No prob bud. I play with the tdc, cause like you I also love the look on thier faces, especially when I get up around 7200 rpm and bark out a flame between gears.lol The 3.4L tdc is a screamer.
    But there's almost no after market for it. Now I believe there's quit abit more for your engine since there are crate kits for trucks to swap in the OHV 3.4's.
    Best place to start would be calling a performance shop or dealer such a Summit, or someone more local to you. Oh yeah some of the guys here are real good at bustin' our balls about the 6ers' lol. But I dont let them discourage me and neither should you. Build what ya like I say. I did my dtc cause there's few and far between who do. You could also try gettin' a hold of the guy's in the v6 section here. 3.4l ohv and tdc are the forgotten engines seems like but we are out here too, beatin' on the ricers and such. But maybe some have forgotten that we make more hp at the stock level than some v8's that have been produced in the past. The block castings for the ohv 60* v6's goes back something like 30 years. China still produces the motor in large numbers to this day. Get yourself a chair and sit down and start researching lol. Anything is possible. You can do it just be patient. However you have to try to stay realistic and not set out to be the fastest thing on the road cause that may never happen. I'd start like Russel did in the thread I posted for you and look at overal engine design. Look for differences in the designs between the various 60* engines. The 3.8 is a total pig, trust me I've got one in my Camaro and would'nt build that POS and I've got the money to do it. Some like it though and put up good numbers with theirs. But the 90* 3.8 is not for me and my 3.8 had a hard time runing with my tdc when it was stock and cant even touch it now (not even close).
    The 60* is a way better balanced engine. Okay good luck bud and most of all have fun...
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-10-2009 at 08:59 AM.

green
    1994 camaro

haha yeah that would be priceless. dang 7200 RPM thas impressive. if you don't mind me asking what are you running under there? and yeah our engines are kinda looked over. but once mine is built id ask them to line up enyday. i realize its a very long road and a hard goal but its what i love. i should (economy depending ) have a good paying job this summer and bust out around 5 grand in two months. im hoping to do some bargain shopping and such around the web and through you guys and hopefully have a good start and maybe be pushing 4 or 500 out of a supercharger. (lol hopefullly finding a reliable one that somebody took off theirs) its tough being in high school trying to build like this but i figure the big budget builds will come later in life. i guess first step is first and i need to find a block

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Ps. Like I said I know quite a bit about the 3.4L ohv 660 but not all. Forced Firebird has his shtuff together on them probably can throw ya all the specs and places to look for exactly what you're lookin' for. Again good luck..
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-10-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Black/Carbon
    95 Camaro

Just my opinion but 500 may be pushin it for a DD im shootin for 350ish rwhp I also have a few other modes of travel .... just somthing to consider, also its a 94 so u might wanna get ur suspension in line before you do the motor. I got all ES for under 200 and u can so most of ur other stuff w/ 2300 easy then 2500 for the motor/turbo/n02 I got my turbo innercooler injectors pcm everthing for under a grand... shop around fourms usually have great deals

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Okay you asked for it lol. Before my current second rebuild for turbo. I was N/A tuned.
    High pressure fuel pump, over sized injectors with reg, hypertech stage 3 power chip and comp with a piggy back stand alone, custom built alt, coil pack, custom CAI with race filter, true high flow cat 3in., tapered single collecter down to 2.75in. custom built z-28 style strait exhaust, with loud single inlet dual out muffler, reworked log manifolds, port and polished heads and primary intake, 160* thermostat, twin performance cooling fans I added just before this second build I'm doing now, auto trans with tow kit, performance trany cooler and one for the motor as well. Full KYB suspention on all 4 corners, and fiber glass single leaf rear spring. Very minor body mods with perfect original paint. Sorry for spelling. I think that about covers it. Dynoed at like about 264.6 fwhp @ like 6500 of 6800 it's been a couple of years and I'm gettin old lol. 7200rpm is my max, I have it set up to kick out of first gear @ 7100. But that pretty much sums it up. I'm going to post the current build pics as soon as I start putting it back together, still waiting on the machine shop to finish the new heads, crank, and cam regrinds.
    Last edited by Smittro; 05-10-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Red

hey everyone. im a 17 year old addict to cars. i recently got a 94 camaro 3.4l and it blew =/ like rod threw block blew. so i want to build a bada$$ 3.4L forced induction and bottle including only problem is im kinda new only one v8 rebuild (with help) under my belt. i need to find a new block and more importantly im having problems finding a site to order a forged internals or high HP rebuild kit for a 3.4L from.. any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! thanks guys! and yes im sure i don't just wanna move up to a v8. (can't tell you how many times ive heard that lol) but seriously thank you and looking forward to some seasoned advice and hopefully finding the internals i want.
    Go to a junk yard, pick up another block. You will spend a ton of cash trying to build this thing up for anything more than DD use. They are nice reliable engines, but nothing to write home about. My daughters 94 just put down 142rwhp and 199rwtq on a mustang dyno, with pace-setters, new heads, and some clean up on the intake tract. After seeing the plenum, we decided not to bother with trying to improve on the airflow, that thing is a joke. If you are really ambitious, take a bit of time, do the 3500 top end swap, but remember that you will either have a high CR or a low CR depending on what pistons you run. There are a lot of people covering this swap. By the by, your computer is not a friendly one to work with either. As for running massive boost and nitrous, you will go through a lot of parts.

green
    1994 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 67rsss View Post
    Go to a junk yard, pick up another block. You will spend a ton of cash trying to build this thing up for anything more than DD use. They are nice reliable engines, but nothing to write home about. My daughters 94 just put down 142rwhp and 199rwtq on a mustang dyno, with pace-setters, new heads, and some clean up on the intake tract. After seeing the plenum, we decided not to bother with trying to improve on the airflow, that thing is a joke. If you are really ambitious, take a bit of time, do the 3500 top end swap, but remember that you will either have a high CR or a low CR depending on what pistons you run. There are a lot of people covering this swap. By the by, your computer is not a friendly one to work with either. As for running massive boost and nitrous, you will go through a lot of parts.
    i wana start with saying wow smittro. thats an impressive list for sure. im looking forward to watching the new build go up.

iyyob yeah your right thats a huge number in a DD but hey somebody's gotta do it lol im thinking 500 or 600 will be the engine out put not the rwhp but hey if i can find a way to hit it you bet ill try.

67rsss i plan on doing the 3500 top end swap. the articles smittro showed me convinced me of that already. that will take care of the plenum and airflow probs opening the engine up to a whole range of perspectives. i hope to make mine something that everyone i pass wants to write home about.

now like i said before im a lol my first rebuild planning was a simple one (all stock nonperformance) and the planning was done for me. im taking the captains seat on this one. so now for my question. with the applications i have in mind (that will be applied over time) would it be better to run highCR or lowCR? you can call me noob but im young and everyone has to learn sometime.

Thread Information