Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2001 Camaro V6

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

2001 Camaro V6

I have a 2001 Camaro v6 with the 3800 series 2 motor in it. everything enginewise is still bone stock and it has 132,000+ miles on it with no problems that i know of. I was wondering what are some cheap mods i could do that don't add a ton of power like cams, turbo, etc. do, but also might boost gas mileage too because i just use it as a daily driver and i don't really want to do any heavy mods yet. Ive already considered a cold air intake but everything ive found so far is just too expensive for something that will only add maybe a couple mpg and maybe 12 to 15 horses at best... any suggestions on where i could find a fairly cheap decent quality cold air intake/other beginner engine mods would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Superwoody; 03-16-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Awaiting Activation
    n/a

Quote Originally Posted by Superwoody View Post
    I have a 2001 Camaro v6 with the 3800 series 2 motor in it. everything enginewise is still bone stock and it has 132,000+ miles on it with no problems that i know of. I was wondering what are some cheap mods i could do that don't add a ton of power like cams, turbo, etc. do, but also might boost gas mileage too because i just use it as a daily driver and i don't really want to do any heavy mods yet. Ive already considered a cold air intake but everything ive found so far is just too expensive for something that will only add maybe a couple mpg and maybe 12 to 15 horses at best... any suggestions on where i could find a fairly cheap decent quality cold air intake/other beginner engine mods would be appreciated!
    Since its v6 I wouldn't touch it. I would save money for the Intake gasket that will go bad since its a 3800 series 2 engine I believe. Same thing applies to Series 3.

What I did to my V63800 series engine was cut the exaust out behind the cat and dump it to the side. I made my own intake, but I would suggest getting a cold air intake. Low resistance spark plug wires, iridinium spark plugs, new ignition coils, larger oil filter i believe it is a k&n 1001 you can go to K&n 2001. Just make sure the symbols on the metal part of the oil filter match. You could wrap the exaust in header wrap I guess or you could put shorty headers on it.
    Last edited by Hot head; 03-20-2011 at 09:13 AM.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Hot head View Post
    Since its v6 I wouldn't touch it. I would save money for the Intake gasket that will go bad since its a 3800 series 2 engine I believe. Same thing applies to Series 3.

What I did to my V63800 series engine was cut the exaust out behind the cat and dump it to the side. I made my own intake, but I would suggest getting a cold air intake. Low resistance spark plug wires, iridinium spark plugs, new ignition coils, larger oil filter i believe it is a k&n 1001 you can go to K&n 2001. Just make sure the symbols on the metal part of the oil filter match. You could wrap the exaust in header wrap I guess or you could put shorty headers on it.
    The 3800-II in f-body does'nt have a plastic intake as the transverse II-III cars do.. So the intake manifold only becomes a problem when running aged dexcool coolant and it eats through the gaskets.. The series III was never an f-body option.. The f-body 3800 comes factory with iridium plugs.. Low resistance wires will gain nothing.. Factory coils work just fine even for boosted engines aftermarket coils will gain nothing noticable also..

OP you can do the free ram air mod and a smooth bellows but again there will be nothing on the butt dyno but some off the line pick up will be seen.. Without throwing some money @ it your options are very limited as far as simple power adders in stock form.. Best I get out of my meticulasly maintained y87 is ~ 300 miles per tank.. I generally don't bother looking @ mileage tho..

For around 300-400 bucks you can get a hand held and make some changes here and there for some gains but again without modding deeper the gains will be minimal @ best.. I had the limiter and shift points+firmness enhanced early on for added performance in stock form.. Built a custom cat back for a slight gain again mostly in responsiveness.. The 3800 is a good engine platform but head design leaves much to be desired.. N/A just is'nt what most of us 3800 modders do.. Most go FI on their 3800's for real life gains..

Boosted 3800 have been in the 8's...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Some 2.73 gears

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I would go 3.42's in N/A form..

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I would go 3.42's in N/A form..
    Meant for improving gas mileage. He needs a turbo he just doesn't know it yet.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Meant for improving gas mileage. He needs a turbo he just doesn't know it yet.
    Haha yeah.. A nice eaton or a spool would work nicely..

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Haha yeah.. A nice eaton or a spool would work nicely..
    lol just open the diff and weld that sumbitch.

Op only cheap things I can think of are maintenance. Air filter, fuel filter, proper tire psi, alignment.
    Last edited by c5z28; 03-22-2011 at 02:13 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    lol just open the diff and weld that sumbitch.

Op only cheap things I can think of are maintenance. Air filter, fuel filter, proper tire psi, alignment.
    Y87's and rs Camaro's come with GU6/G80 posi rear..

Oh and a one piece drive shaft as well...

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Datz right, I turn side ways just like you when I spin'em off..

But when the smoke clears you'd be gone and I'd have to start over..
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-22-2011 at 02:23 AM.

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Oh yea and i forgot to add this too my Camaro isn't a five speed it only has the four speed automatic.. Its the only one in good shape we could find around here lol. And to everyone who says it needs a turbo, the only reason i don't want to put any major mods into it is because it belongs to my 17 year old and i dont think it needs anything major like a turbo or cams... and weve been thinking about getting exhausts that give it a deep tone similar to a v8 but so far with no success... i know theres no way to make it NOT sound like a V6 when u put your foot down but anything that makes it sound good at idle or just cruising would be appreciated as well.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

In a nut shell there's not much of anything that will add much power over stock without digging into it more..

2-valve v6's have a drone for sure.. The down pipes from the exhaust manifolds (3800) have baffle crimps from the factory to try to combat the low drone they have. I just see it as a restriction. Beyond that we have a 3 inch collector that is actually quite long before the cat.. You could prolly try a cat delete (you'll have to tune out the SES light from the rear 02) and then from there run 3 inch pipe all the way back over the axle and dump it into a performance muffler of your choice.. That should give you a deeper tone you're looking for @ idle and just cruising.. The drone goes away @ WOT, but yes it will still sound like a 2-valve v6.. Gains will mostly be in throttle response as the 3800 stock roller cam falls on it's face early in the curve..

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

I think these cars sound prety sweet if you go with some headers and true duals dumped after the cats

White
    2008 Hummer H3

V6 section

Quote Originally Posted by bouigha123 View Post
    I think these cars sound prety sweet if you go with some headers and true duals dumped after the cats
    Depends on whether you mean the V6 or the V8..

The 3800 won't sound good till the cam gets lumpy..
    Even then it still sounds like a 2 valve v6..

The lsx generally always sounds good with it's extra cyclinders..

NBM
    1999 Formula ws6

Im talking about the 3.8, with duals they sound awsome, headers, duals, a cai, and a good tune and the car will get better milage if you keep your foot outa it of course, have more power and sound pretty sweet, in my opinion of course

red
    2000 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bouigha123 View Post
    I myself do not beleave headers will help much with the v 6
    Last edited by the_camaro; 04-26-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: was not in the post reply

red
    2000 camaro

I myself do not think headers will help with the V6

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by the_camaro View Post
    I myself do not beleave headers will help much with the v 6
    Quote Originally Posted by the_camaro View Post
    I myself do not think headers will help with the V6
    If the heads were of better design they (headers) would help more than they do..
    Dyno gains are minimal on a stock 3800 roller with headers, the sound does'nt improve much either ...imo
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-26-2011 at 10:18 AM.

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

This few things i did my 1999 V6 firebird for HP an fuel economy, 165 degree stat, jet stage 2 performance chip, 80 series flowmaster has good idle an acceleration noise, that's just few things I've done

Bird Rehab Center ThunderChicken's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Trans Am

I dumped the 2-pc driveshaft on my 3.4 V6 and it made a nice difference in initial pickup. I think the 01s have a one-piece anyway. Texas Speed has some nice mods available for the 3800 if you check there.

Thread Information