Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

03 Grand Am: oil in coolant

This is a discussion on 03 Grand Am: oil in coolant within the V6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by bdub2145 or just run it with the a/c on and the fans will come on . True....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bdub2145 View Post
    or just run it with the a/c on and the fans will come on .
    True.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I saw that response...

So you haven't checked STILL if the fans are coming on? It takes 10 minutes is all I am saying.

Could very well be a fuse relay that went out that is causing the fans to not come on...or the temperature relay sensor (pretty sure there is one on that vehicle) that went out.

You could also just take the wire connected to the fan and jump it right off the battery to see if the fan even comes on.
    ive been working 12 hour shifts for the past week. so when i get home i just want to take a shower and goto bed.....so no i STILL havent checked to see if the fans come on yet

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

yet you have time to come on here day after day and post....OK dude. Good luck.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

wtf??? i get on here to wind down from the day......what business is it to you what i do after work....but what ever....

checked coolant again tonite...its getting thicker than it was yesterday....i honeslty think the core broke for the transmission side of it, and i think its mixing fluids

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    wtf??? i get on here to wind down from the day......what business is it to you what i do after work....but what ever....

checked coolant again tonite...its getting thicker than it was yesterday....i honeslty think the core broke for the transmission side of it, and i think its mixing fluids
    I did'nt even think of that one .. 4t60e and 65e's are junk to begin with let alone one that's taking on engine coolant.. I really hope that's not it bud..

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

ok PAL.....drove the car...when up to normal opp temp its at bout 190 while driving...when idling, it gets up to about 220 (overheat range according to gauge is 260) and yes both fans come on (no a/c or defroster on to make fans come on)

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I did'nt even think of that one .. 4t60e and 65e's are junk to begin with let alone one that's taking on engine coolant.. I really hope that's not it bud..
    i ment mixing fluids as in its pushing tranny fluid into the coolant (my guess that is) but when driving the car, it still shifts smooth as butter, and when you stomp on it, it doesnt slip, or bang or anything....i cant verify its dumping atf in the coolant, as on the tranny in this car, it doesnt have a dip stick. just a fill port, that my guess is supposed to be a service free transmission, or gm doesnt wan you to service the tranny yourself kind of deal....

White
    2008 Hummer H3

i ment mixing fluids as in its pushing tranny fluid into the coolant (my guess that is) but when driving the car, it still shifts smooth as butter, and when you stomp on it, it doesnt slip, or bang or anything....i cant verify its dumping atf in the coolant, as on the tranny in this car, it doesnt have a dip stick. just a fill port, that my guess is supposed to be a service free transmission, or gm doesnt wan you to service the tranny yourself kind of deal....
    I've honestly never heard of this. There has to be a way of checking proper level?

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

I've honestly never heard of this. There has to be a way of checking proper level?
    unless there is a tiny little dipstick on the cap like a powersteering cap/dipstick.... i havent removed the cap to verify this

White
    2008 Hummer H3

unless there is a tiny little dipstick on the cap like a powersteering cap/dipstick.... i havent removed the cap to verify this
    That's a head scratcher for me for sure.. I'm second guessing what transmission you have now..

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

That's a head scratcher for me for sure.. I'm second guessing what transmission you have now..
    yea this cap is on the drivers side of the engine bay...under the air intake tube that attaches to the maf. a little orange cap.. pmd you

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Your car has the 4t45e.. PM sent

1999–2005: 4-speed automatic with overdrive (4t40e for SE Models, 4t45e for GT models)
    2000–2005: Getrag 5-speed manual with overdrive (not available with 3400 V6)
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Your car has the 4t45e.. PM sent

19992005: 4-speed automatic with overdrive (4t40e for SE Models, 4t45e for GT models)
    20002005: Getrag 5-speed manual with overdrive (not available with 3400 V6)
    is this tranny junk like the 60-65's??

also i kinda got side tracked here...is it possible the tranny side of the radiator core broke and is mixing? lol cuz i dont want to spend the money on a radiator if i dont need to

White
    2008 Hummer H3

is this tranny junk like the 60-65's??

also i kinda got side tracked here...is it possible the tranny side of the radiator core broke and is mixing? lol cuz i dont want to spend the money on a radiator if i dont need to
    Yes it's possible... As far as I know the trannies are fine for DD ing tho.. I'd have to dig up some tech reviews to be for sure.. I'm sure like everything tho there will be something..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I'd also have the rad presure checked before replacing it.. That will tell you right away if the core crapped out..

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

ok, ill do that pressure test....so if i pump it up to pressure, and it bleeds down, that means the core is shot right???

also the only way to pressurize is thru the coolant reservoir....this still should be fine right?
    Last edited by SteveCZ28; 10-27-2010 at 12:29 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

ok, ill do that pressure test....so if i pump it up to pressure, and it bleeds down, that means the core is shot right???

also the only way to pressurize is thru the coolant reservoir....this still should be fine right?
    I've never done one @ my shop. I usually send/take them to a shop and have a pro do it..

Mostly because they'll need to check the trans cooler core too..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Sealed Transaxle...

The way to check the transmission fluid level is to open the fill cap, raise the whole car (make sure it's level, not just the front of the car), remove the check bolt. If ATF does not drip from the check bolt, then it's low. Fill through the fill cap until it drips from the check bolt..
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-27-2010 at 06:27 AM.

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

i seem to remember someone saying something about the tranny cooler in the radiator a few weeks ago .. the fill bolt on the trans is at the end of the snout by the inner cv of the passenger side.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

wtf??? i get on here to wind down from the day......what business is it to you what i do after work....but what ever..
    I honestly don't care what you do in your spare time. It's none of my business and I don't want it to be. You come on here asking for help and I am trying to provide that to you by making some suggestions on what it could possibly be based on my experiences...nothing else.

You said when you get home from your 12 hour days all you want to do is take a shower and go to bed....coming on here doesn't sound like either of those things...does it? That's my point. If you have time to come on here and post, you have time to check if fans are coming on...nothing more nothing less.

You checked and they work. Nip that in the bud. I do think you are on the right path with your tranny though....esp since you said earlier that your coolant is now a redish color. I'm not well versed in this particular area so I'm going to leave it up to Smittro to provide his feedback.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information