Black
    1994 Formula ram air

your opinion on slp eibach/bilstein

...so i am planning on lowering/ re-shocking my 94 formula- not a show car not a dragster- mostly daily driver, but i want a better stance and firmer ride. is the slp bilstein/ eibach kit a decent choice? it's about half the price of the koni/strano kit. is it still worth it to shell out for the strano/koni? it would be an easy call for a couple dollar difference -but we're talkin $700 vs $1200! what do you guys think?

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

For springs, I currently have the SLP 1LE springs on my SS and they seem to be a good spring for a daily driver, but everyone that has Sam’s springs seem to really like them.
    As for shocks Bilsteins are good stock style shock, but the Konis are better in every way except price. Personally I’d save the money and go with Sam’s kit the price might be higher, but you are getting better matched and higher end parts.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

Black
    1999 Trans Am FIREHAWK

Well I just bought this same kit and I`m in the process of installing it this week I will let you know how it rides .
    1999 T/A FIREHAWK - SLP Lid & Bellow,LT`s & Catted Y & Power-Flo Catback , MSD & NGK , UMI 3P SFC,ADJ PHB,STB,LCA`s & Relos , Eibach Pro Kit , Bilstine/SLP Shocks , MAC Diff Cover , BFG & OE Wheels C5DD 18x9.5/10.5 , HID 8000K Headlights - Dyno`d @ 319.07 HP & 327.23 Ft-lb ( Tuned by Champ Motors )

White
    2001 Z28

You're also comparing apples and oranges. The dampers are completely different. And FWIW, I do sell SLP products, including that kit.

Given the drop you get from it, and the lack of adjustment from the shocks, I don't think you should be comparing my springs and Koni's to the SLP kit. You should be comparing Koni's and stock springs to that kit. Yes, that option will still cost you more than the SLP kit, however look deeper at what you are getting:

1. You get shocks with a lifetime warranty and a HUGE range of adjustment so you can play with the ride and handling feel and response to get it to what you like best. Can't do that on Bilstein's.

2. The SLP "drop" is normally said to be 3/4". But anyone who'd looked at a Level 1 car normally finds the front to be about stock and the rear just a little lower (around the 3/4" drop). Koni's have the moveable front spring perch that gives roughly a 5/8-3/4" drop in front, and we can use the isolator mod to drop the rear about 1/2". You don't have to buy springs to get a drop, and the Koni's are just superior control dampers over the Bilstein's

3. I'd rather drive a Koni/stock spring car over an SLP car. I know, I've driven both. These cars need great shock damping, it's what GM missed on. The stock springs, while not the *Best* don't suck. And the SLP springs aren't the "best" either IMHO. If there were, being an SLP dealer I'd use a lot more them.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Black
    1999 Trans Am FIREHAWK

Ok now I finally have my new parts installed , the frontend was a PITA ! Just to clear things up a bit I bought the Eibach Pro Kit NOT The SLP Springs ,Only the Bilstein/SLP Shocks .
    Now the ride is stiffer but the Bilsteins are far better than stock shocks ! My car handles far better flat through the turns much more responsive and the drop was decent not too much . As far as the springs I would not recomend them for a daily driver .

Thread Information