Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

WS6 suspension vs. new

This is a discussion on WS6 suspension vs. new within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by Glenn The book on the LS motors says pull the screen. They say it's left out on ...

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    The book on the LS motors says pull the screen. They say it's left out on the vette. I yanked mine first thing. Actually, they claim it's to straighten the air flow. This is really not a good idea. A smooth air flow will create static layers on the outside of the flow and actually reduce the flow. (I knew USN Nuke Power School would come in handy someday)
    So the LS1/LS6 Corvette's have no MAF screen whatsoever??

Interesting.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    Yes it does serve a useful purpose - it keeps cr*p from getting into the engine! I put an SLP lid and a K&N filter on my car. Ran OK for a while, then I noticed a hesitation when I'd "get on" the gas. No codes or SES light, car had been recently tuned... WTF? Took it into the Pontiac dealer to find out what was going on, hadn't even looked at the air filter/cleaner assembly. Dealer found a bunch of cr*p, leaves & small twigs blocking the MAF screen. Now, I normally don't take my T/A off-roading so it's anybody's guess as to how that junk got in, but that screen saved my butt from a huge bunch o' problems......
    I'm willing to bet its from the SLP lid not sealing properly. I have an aftermarket lid on my car, and you can see the gap between the Lid and the base isn't sealed that well. Especially when the motor torques over and twists the whole thing. I think a thick rubber seal would be very beneficial to sit between the lid and the base, otherwise crap can find its way in.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I'm willing to bet its from the SLP lid not sealing properly. I have an aftermarket lid on my car, and you can see the gap between the Lid and the base isn't sealed that well. Especially when the motor torques over and twists the whole thing. I think a thick rubber seal would be very beneficial to sit between the lid and the base, otherwise crap can find its way in.
    +2 I have the same problem with my clear MTI lid.

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Is it me? How friggin hard is it to get a square box...to fit...over a square box??? I mean c'mon.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by {FzS}BlacKMagicK View Post
    Is it me? How friggin hard is it to get a square box...to fit...over a square box??? I mean c'mon.
    Hell, I thought the lid was on tight too, and I even installed the SLP lid (was either them or K&N, don't remember) gasket when I first got the lid & filter. Tabs were all tucked in on the back...clips tight on the front... whooo knows?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Guys, please keep this thread on topic. It is about suspension on the WS6, not about air lids. Thank you.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

Black
    02 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Guys, please keep this thread on topic. It is about suspension on the WS6, not about air lids. Thank you.
    I nominate SiggyZ for County Sheriff!!! Anyone wanna second?

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

so explain this keeping the rear sway bar bit????? y does the back end wannan slide easier when u upgrade the rear sway bar?? i woudl think tightening it up would keep it planted better......hey im not complaining though..would save me a lil money keeping the stocker there

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    so explain this keeping the rear sway bar bit????? y does the back end wannan slide easier when u upgrade the rear sway bar?? i woudl think tightening it up would keep it planted better......hey im not complaining though..would save me a lil money keeping the stocker there
    Curious about this myself, what happens when you put a thicker bar back there?

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

I'll try my best but I'm no expert. If you jerk the steering wheel one way or the other, the rear will follow. A stock rear will have some deflection and too much body roll since it uses rubber bushings, small rear sway bar, and cheap stamped metal parts. I have noticed that since putting on my new panhard and rear swaybar the rear stays tighter with the car in a turn. I definitley feel more confident about squirting out of a turn. Lowering the car helps a ton too. Taking a curve at 80mph with a lowered Camaro feels alot different than stock ride height. I think by having a real large rear sway bar you will eliminate too much body roll and be solely reliant on the tires for holding the car on the road. Hard cornering coupled with accelleration could mean your rearend slides out from under you alot easier if you don't have some great tires on. There you have it. May not make sense and I might get crushed by some others. Probably need an auto X racer to answer the question better.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

um maybe it DOSNT slide out easier but just feels like it does since theres no body roll to warn u first???

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    I'll try my best but I'm no expert. If you jerk the steering wheel one way or the other, the rear will follow. A stock rear will have some deflection and too much body roll since it uses rubber bushings, small rear sway bar, and cheap stamped metal parts. I have noticed that since putting on my new panhard and rear swaybar the rear stays tighter with the car in a turn. I definitley feel more confident about squirting out of a turn. Lowering the car helps a ton too. Taking a curve at 80mph with a lowered Camaro feels alot different than stock ride height. I think by having a real large rear sway bar you will eliminate too much body roll and be solely reliant on the tires for holding the car on the road. Hard cornering coupled with accelleration could mean your rearend slides out from under you alot easier if you don't have some great tires on. There you have it. May not make sense and I might get crushed by some others. Probably need an auto X racer to answer the question better.

In the voice of Archie Bunker..."What are you talkin about dere hah?"

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Hey I tried. Keep searching for more answers meathead(Archie Bunkers son in law).

BlacK
    2001 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    Hey I tried. Keep searching for more answers meathead(Archie Bunkers son in law).
    LOL, at least you know who he is, thought it would be lost on most here.

I have read in several threads here you shouldn't upgrade the rear sway bar. Suspension is one thing I know very little about, so I'll be leavin it alone.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

it's all about a balance of front/rear stiffness that is mainly combined w/ spring rates and rollbars.
    increasing either one @ 1 end will make it stiffer on that end.
    rule of thumb is if you stiffen the front, you are tuning the car to get more understeer, and stiffening the rear is to get more oversteer.
    Ideally you want the car to be neutral when loaded taking a corner @ constant throttle so that you can control @ the limit if you want to understeer or oversteer.

stiffening the rear sway-bar (common mistake) will just make the car more tail happy than it needs to be, hindering traction when cornering vs not "upgrading" the rear-bar.
    Not all "upgrades" are real upgrades.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information