Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

why subframes...why not?

This is a discussion on why subframes...why not? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I would get them and get them welded in. I race mine. One night at the track, before I got ...

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

I would get them and get them welded in. I race mine. One night at the track, before I got them, I was leaving and noticed my dash had shattered down the middle. I went out and got them the next week as soon as my paycheck came in. Well worth the $$ and the weight. Your gain in weight is more than made up for with the added stability.

White
    96 Camaro

I would have to disagree on this. My first camaro did not have subframes under it and I twisted the chassis a little bit and it was a street car. The first time I noticed was when i went to put it on a rack with four braces under it the car touched 3 of them but was off the 4th.

Big G

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

Right, so SFC's are the way to go. Body twist=bad Nice Straight Car=good

Black
    99 SS

i second subframes they saved my ass in a wreck once, thanks God for them!

03 Terminator

which SFC's have the least amount of ground clearance issues?

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Y'all convinced me. Just ordered a set from Spohn.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

After this weekend in ATL you will see that SFC's really help out.

NASCAR Go Fast, Turn Left ntimid8r's Avatar

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

SFC's and STB's are a beautiful thing.

I personally like the triangulated SFC's because they provide maximum strength, but the down side is they do weigh more. I added more horsepower with the ProCharger to help counter the extra SFC weight.

BLOWN, STROKED and SHOOTIN’ METH

2001 Camaro Z28 A4
    Mods:
    Forged 383 | P&P 317 heads | ATI Procharger P1SC | 60# Injectors | Lonnies twin fuel pump | SDCE Tensioner | Alkycontrol Meth
    Vig 3200 multi disk | ACPT c/f driveshaft | Strange 12 bolt w/3.73 gears

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

I use BMR Tubular. No clearance issues at all. BTW You with the Procharger to counter the weight of the SFC...I just want you to know I hate you...I think I speak for everyone else. Just kiddin. I couldn't tell you how much time they take to weld in. I had it done with a few other things on the same day at my speed shop. I would think BMR's would be good enough for most applications. I'm putting 420 to the tires, not a huge ammount but still significant, and they work for me. No more broken interior parts or door panels popping off after a race.

Awaiting Activation

black
    01 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by tbaum
    I use BMR Tubular. No clearance issues at all. BTW You with the Procharger to counter the weight of the SFC...I just want you to know I hate you...I think I speak for everyone else. Just kiddin. I couldn't tell you how much time they take to weld in. I had it done with a few other things on the same day at my speed shop. I would think BMR's would be good enough for most applications. I'm putting 420 to the tires, not a huge ammount but still significant, and they work for me. No more broken interior parts or door panels popping off after a race.

Where did you get your tubular how much they cost? which are the cheapest and Which subframe connecters allow me to be able to drop the car 1.5-2 inches?

Red
    1998 Trans Am Vert

I got them from my speed shop here is Orlando. They offered me the same deal I could find online which was cool coz it saved me shipping. Again, I don't remember how much they cost because I bought them along with the tower bar, Ceramic coated Hooker LT's, and 3600 Stall Converter along with having them installed. Don't remember the breakdown. I will tell you that they do not stick down far. They weld in nicely. You could drop your car till the tires hit the top of the tire wells and they wouldn't touch. I like the BMR's because they look good and they do the job. Good luck with the purchase. Just do some research online with the sponsors and you will be able to get a good deal. I hope this helps.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Subframe connectors are a must in my opinion. Once I put them on I immediately noticed a difference with the car, especially when launching. I've also got an STB as well.
    Pro 5.0 shifter, CAGS, Borla Exhaust, Direct-Flo Lid, K&N Air Filter, Fast Toys Ram Air Kit, BMR STB, BMR Adjustable PHB, BMR Boxed & Welded SFCs, Metco Boxed LCAs w/ Relocation brackets, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, Koni SA Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit.

Snake Eater
    boy o boy, sfc's and stb are NOT a must. get some good shocks and swaybars instead... i've owned my fair share of f-bodies---one having full susp including subframes and stb---- didn't really notice a thing when launching/racing/daily driving... just real stiff on cornering. my current f-body i bought new now has 42xxx miles and without sfc's or stb. i haven't noticed a difference and haven't had any so called "dimples" as many say are a side effect from not having sfc's. if anything these two parts will add weight. they're also good for jacking up your car and something to lean on when working on your car... need more i say... just my 2 cents though...

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

I had UMI Performance install (I took time off and drove 250 miles out to the middle of Nowheresville (Bigler) PA) their bolt-on SFCs and non-adjustable rear LCAs and Panhard rod bar (don't plan on lowering my car). I also had them install Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar body mounts, end links and torque arm mount. The difference after the install was like night and day! The car is noticeably tighter and handles more responsively (I'm sure like GM wanted it to had they designed the car properly from the start with a stiff enough body structure!) The car doesn't creak or rattle any more when I go over uneven road surfaces. The shocks (Bilsteins) work properly now: when I hit a bump only the wheel hitting the bump reacts - I don't feel the whole car shake any more. I'm sorry I waited so long to add these mods to my car! BTW, two thumbs way up to UMI Performance (Jerry and Ryan) for their products and professionalism. Their products are every bit as good as Spohn, BMR and others but at a lower cost. In addition, I was able to have all my suspension components powder coated a custom Navy Blue for only $30 extra! I highly recommend doing SFCs and UMI products in particular.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information