Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Who Welded In your SFCs?

I called up a couple of body shops and asked them to weld in my SFCs. They referred to me to welders. I called the welders, and they referred me to body shops. I did get a number to "a guy" but, I would like some sort of guarantee or warranty on the work.

Anyone know of any shops in the Pacific Northwest (Western Washington area) that will do a quality job? I even asked a custom Corvette shop, and they said they couldn't do it....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

gotta be some speed shops somewhere locally that will do it. That's who I had do mine....a place that worked on f-bodies mainly. Do you have any local boards you could get on and ask? I'm sure there's some place around that does it as it's so common.....not only for our cars but all uni-body cars.

White
    1998 Z28

I welded my own in. Come down I will do it for you.

silver
    2000 formula

i like the bolt ons ..............cuz you can weld them later.......but i am glad i did not weld mine.......had to take them out not to long ago

Black
    1999 Pontiac Formula M6

Got mine welded in at a good exhaust shop in town here.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Kooks headers, Catted Y-pipe, Borla Adj Exhaust,
    160 stat, LS6 Intake, TR 230/236 cam, SLP Lid,
    Ground Control Coils, Bilstein Shocks, Adj PH, SFC's,
    Suncoast WS6 hood, 4.10's
    376 RWHP
    ----------------------------------------------

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    i like the bolt ons ..............cuz you can weld them later.......but i am glad i did not weld mine.......had to take them out not to long ago
    Yeah, mine are bolted in, too, but since it's a convertible, they don't interfere with anything... other than that they are bolted up to the LCAs... They just run right along under the doors, more or less.

Millenium yellow
    2005 GTO

Most machine shops have a welder who can weld them up for you. I'd call the exhaust shops too.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I have a custom set made by a guy locally. He also welded them in.
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

red
    01 Mustang w/Chevy 5.3L

I welded mine in. Ditto on the exhaust shops.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

IMO I would wait to weld them in until your close to your goals, if not at them, with your car. At least done with exhaust and rear end goals. Just IMO.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Muffler shop did mine back in the day

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

I welded my own in,,

rent an arc welder or other proper type welder and practice on neighbors car in the night time,,get the puddle down on neighbors car first, then and only then go for it on your own car and get err dunn

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    IMO I would wait to weld them in until your close to your goals, if not at them, with your car. At least done with exhaust and rear end goals. Just IMO.
    Hmm, I don't understand what difference it would make to exhaust/rear end. They do bolt up to the LCA, but can that actually be a problem if I wanted to, say... swap out my 10-bolt for a 12-bolt?

As for exhaust, the SFCs do not interfere with the exhaust at all. They are essentially straight rails that run parallel with the exhaust/driveshaft along the outer edge of the underbody, right under the doors.

Or am I missing something about what you said?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Hmm, I don't understand what difference it would make to exhaust/rear end. They do bolt up to the LCA, but can that actually be a problem if I wanted to, say... swap out my 10-bolt for a 12-bolt?

As for exhaust, the SFCs do not interfere with the exhaust at all. They are essentially straight rails that run parallel with the exhaust/driveshaft along the outer edge of the underbody, right under the doors.

Or am I missing something about what you said?
    3 point SFC might change your route for true duals. I also like to get as much out of my way as possible. I'm also taking into consideration the tunnel brace.

Not too sure on the rear end, how much adjusting and so forth would be needed, I guess I would want as much play as possible.

Not sure if they would interfere with running new fuel lines or not as well.

Just IMO really, welding the SFC isnt needed right away

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

3 point SFC might change your route for true duals. I also like to get as much out of my way as possible. I'm also taking into consideration the tunnel brace.

Not too sure on the rear end, how much adjusting and so forth would be needed, I guess I would want as much play as possible.

My sfc I had installed tucked up nicely and wouldn't impact anything I could think of installing. They also made a noticeable difference in daily driving as the body didn't flex like before the install. They were a great lift point after I lowered the car too.

I definitely think these are one of the best bang for your buck. Especially if ur a 6m and/or t-top.

Would be a must on any future f-bodies I buy.

NBM
    99 TransAm

The shop that welded mine in said that you need to load the suspen before welding them in. Just an fyi it might be wise to find someone with sfc exp.

competition yellow
    1999 camaro m6

have you considered trading them for bolt on i have bolt on umi 3pt and love them

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 99z-28 View Post
    have you considered trading them for bolt on i have bolt on umi 3pt and love them
    My SFCs are the bolt-in/weld-in kind. I have them bolted on already. I noticed a difference immediately, just looking to get them connected as solidly as possible.

Ah, I see. Since my car is a convertible, it uses two-point SFCs. The back end is bolted into the LCA and the front is bolted up under front fender.

SILVER
    2000 Z/28

Made my own and welded them in myself. Made the car feel much stiffer and less creaking.
    Lt's,SFC,3,600 Fuddle stall,Spohn Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, BMR LCA,Ls6 intake,Air lid,Under drive pulley,S60 rear,Frost tune and a few more things I cant remember.

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

We just put the car under load and did it at a friends house. But honestly, I didn't feel shit after the install. I also have a few dedicated race friends who swear SFC's don't do anything at all with the "flex". He's got a mid 11 sec car and still dimpled the rear quarters.

If I got another f-body I wouldn't bother with SFC's or Koni's, lol.

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information