Lookin for a race 99HuggerOrangeZ's Avatar

2004 Black Escalade EXT
    1999 Hugger Orange Z28

Wheel Hop

What is the best way to get rid of it?

LCA's? Torque Arm?

Thanks
    99 Hugger Orange Z28 A4 3.42's
    Mod's Livernois 408, SLP Cold Air Intake, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Electric Cut-out, Magnaflow Exhaust, Finish Line Level 5 4L65E, Vig. 3200 Stall, Spohn LCA's, UMI SFC's, Broken 10 bolt, 17x9.5 and 18x10.5 Black Z06 Motorsports

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

I've never had that issue, but I've heard to try LCA's first, might want to wait for others to chime in though. On a side note, try to avoid causing more wheelhop before you change parts to look for a solution. Wheel hop will eff your car up for sure.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I used to have wheelhop on the street anytime I tried to take off hard (oddly at the track it was fine). I first tried some LCAs helped a little but it was still there. The next step for me was Konis (only put them on the rear) and I put a panhard bar on at the same time (strongly doubt that had anything to do with helping). The shocks are what finally stopped wheelhop for me (130K + miles on the car). One of the best people to talk to would be Sam Strano, he will help you understand what is going on and help with the best course of action.

White
    2001 Z28

Wheelhop is one of those things that can be caused by a number of things (or a combination of things)

LCA's, LCA brackets, TA's, and Shocks are all helpful things to curing wheelhop. There are no absolutes, and what we pick depends a lot on what's up with the car. If it has a zillion miles on it and the shocks are toast that's a place to start. If the TA has cracks (and they can) we need to address that. If the LCA bushings are shot that'll allow the axle to wrap and bounce. And wheelhop is acutally the axle bouncing up and down. That's why shocks can help.

I'd be more than happy to talk to you about your car and what things might help (and if anything stands out to me). Wheelhop is a strange thing, it's even popped up in cars that never had it until one day when it started. I had one customer have that happen, and he put LCA's then brackets on, and it still hopped. It didn't stop until we did the TA. Does that mean the TA did the work alone? The hop was less severe with the addition of the other parts, so was it a combination of the parts?

Folks often overbuy or buy the wrong things if they don't understand how these things work. Maybe you end up needing it all, but if we think it through and work it out, maybe we can cure it with fewer parts that actually correct the problem.

As Bottesini pointed out what we did for him isn't "standard". It's not what the common wisdom is, but that's what he needed. I'm very much about trying to do what's needed, not what the common answer is. And thank you to Bottesini for the nice words. Always great to know I did my job well so that a customer takes the time to recommend me, and I appreciate it very much.
    Last edited by Sam Strano; 11-07-2008 at 08:43 AM.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

2004 Black Escalade EXT
    1999 Hugger Orange Z28

Thanks for all the info guys.

...but let me give you a little bit of some background on my car and it may help. In June of this year I slid my rear into a curb and snapped the axel off right at the wheel hub. So I took it to the dealer and they replace my rear end, stock LCA on that side, brake rotor and caliper on that side, and wheel/tire. Everything else was fine and not damaged in anyway. After this is when it started really bad. I always had it a little after the torque converter and exhaust install, but not near as violent as what is now.

I thought the cause might be from the harder launches and extra HP starting to wear at the rear end components but who knows.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by 99HuggerOrangeZ; 11-07-2008 at 01:17 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

Have you checked that the LCA bolts are still tight? Also, they might have tightened the LCA without having the rear loaded, I think it might affect it in that case as well, I would loosen both sides at both ends, and do it right, just to make sure.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99HuggerOrangeZ View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys.

...but let me give you a little bit of some background on my car and it may help. In June of this year I slid my rear into a curb and snapped the axel off right at the wheel hub. So I took it to the dealer and they replace my rear end, stock LCA on that side, brake rotor and caliper on that side, and wheel/tire. Everything else was fine and not damaged in anyway. After this is when it started really bad. I always had it a little after the torque converter and exhaust install, but not near as violent as what is now.

This happened to my car with someone else driving. The hit broke the left rear shock (it hit on the left side). Same sort of impact, snapped the end of the axle off (and much, much more).

White
    1998 Trans Am

I had it so bad that the power mirrors would flip up... LCA relocation brackets took care of it. They weld on to the rear, lowering the rear angle of the LCA's.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    I had it so bad that the power mirrors would flip up... LCA relocation brackets took care of it. They weld on to the rear, lowering the rear angle of the LCA's.
    I would vote for bolt on relocation brackets, unless you can weld them on your own, or you're already getting some welding done. Although, local places where I used to live were also pretty expensive for welding compared to prices I've seen from other areas. I've been using bolt ons for 2-3 years between 2 different cars and they've never come loose or anything on me. Just a thought, I'm sure Sam will get your car straightened out regardless

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

is your wheelhop happening during braking or acceleration (or both) ?
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bills98ta View Post
    I'm glad... but that's not the case for everyone. And fwiw, the hop stopped because you added traction via the instant center change from the brackets. Not all hop comes from, or can be stopped by the instant center moving.

Again, brackets can indeed stop a hop.... but not always, and running the rear arms tail down compromises stability and balance at speed, and every more as the speed climbs.

2004 Black Escalade EXT
    1999 Hugger Orange Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    is your wheelhop happening during braking or acceleration (or both) ?
    Only during heavy acceleration. Pretty much once the tires break loose and I hit a small bump in the road it begins to chatter violently.

and one more thing it doesn't happen every time, but about 90% of the time.
    Last edited by 99HuggerOrangeZ; 11-10-2008 at 12:41 PM.

White
    2001 Z28

Only during heavy acceleration. Pretty much once the tires break loose and I hit a small bump in the road it begins to chatter violently.

Well the fact that is doesn't happen all the time, and you know that a change in road surface while gassing on it causes the hop to rear it's head would both indicate to me your shocks aren't up the job of controlling the mass of the axle and the parts attached to it...

Again, a lot of parts can effect hop, but that situation does not indicate a control arm or TA based issue to me.

2004 Black Escalade EXT
    1999 Hugger Orange Z28

Well it looks like the shocks are going to be replaced. I think I am going to do the LCA's and Torque Arm also as I can't see it hurting anything

again thanks for all the help.

White
    2001 Z28

If you need any help, please let me know. I certainly don't mind taking time to talk to customers, current or potential, by phone. I want to make sure folks get what they need (what's best for their needs).

I'm not only a site sponsor, but this section sponsor, and I would appreciate the opprotunity to serve you.

What is the best way to get rid of it?

LCA's? Torque Arm?

Thanks
    Hi,

I have the same problem with my 02 hawk M6, stock tires, auburn diff- 3.42's. I replaced the LCA's and panhard bar with non adjustable tubular designs and I still got the hop.... sounds like the rear is going to explode when i try to do a burnout....its pathetic and embarressing. I also have subframe connectors and a strut tower brace as well as larger sway bars in the front and rear( I know it doesnt have much to do with it but just so you can compare the setup).
    My only suggestion given my point of view is to try the Torque arm... thats probably my next attempt.
    Last edited by ~Firehawk~; 11-10-2008 at 05:07 PM.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

sounds like shocks to me... yours can't handle the job.
    I'd do shocks only and might not need any of the other items.

2004 Black Escalade EXT
    1999 Hugger Orange Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    If you need any help, please let me know. I certainly don't mind taking time to talk to customers, current or potential, by phone. I want to make sure folks get what they need (what's best for their needs).

I'm not only a site sponsor, but this section sponsor, and I would appreciate the opprotunity to serve you.
    Again, thanks for everyone's advise.

and Sam I'm going to be putting the car away soon so I probably won't be getting any new parts until spring, but I will get a hold of you then to talk about what would be best for me.

2004 Black Escalade EXT
    1999 Hugger Orange Z28

More info....

So after work last night I was trying to get some more details on my wheel hop issue and I was pretty much flooring it from a stop any chance I could.

This is what was happening....

No wheel hop at all. Now the roads were damp and cold and I was not getting any traction, but every time weather I hit a bump or not the wheels would just spin and no chattering at all. I'm sure there is a very simple explanation for this but I would like to hear it from the pros, and this may also help determine what parts I need to replace.

Thanks
    Last edited by 99HuggerOrangeZ; 11-12-2008 at 12:30 PM.

White
    2001 Z28

Not unusual at all. Wheelhop basically is a vibration that stems from the tires scrabbling for traction. If you have none, you don't tend to get any wheelhop. And conversely if you have a ton and can't really break traction, you won't get it either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information