Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Whats a good setup for curves?

This is a discussion on Whats a good setup for curves? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by SexOnWheels I believe he was the three time champ of F-stock (very few mods) i think you're ...

Next Race= WSIR 2/26-27 SIK02SS's Avatar
    Too many

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    I believe he was the three time champ of F-stock (very few mods)

i think you're right

Navy Blue Metallic
    01 SS,TT, SLP, M6

Sik02SS What have you done suspension wise (Recommend from Sam) and Where in socal are you? I would like to see the set up, the SS, get some idea's with what to go with next PM me.

Styles- Again, Start with koni's SA's if you can afford them then chip away at the other stuff. I am very pleased with my set up (hotchkis,Koni SA's,Umi panhard,BMR torque arm, stock rims P-Zero's) P-zero's a bit hard going softer compound next time, (ASR) every time i get on it. Alot of fun in the canyon's to and from work

Too many

Quote Originally Posted by driving View Post
    Sik02SS What have you done suspension wise (Recommend from Sam) and Where in socal are you? I would like to see the set up, the SS, get some idea's with what to go with next PM me.

Styles- Again, Start with koni's SA's if you can afford them then chip away at the other stuff. I am very pleased with my set up (hotchkis,Koni SA's,Umi panhard,BMR torque arm, stock rims P-Zero's) P-zero's a bit hard going softer compound next time, (ASR) every time i get on it. Alot of fun in the canyon's to and from work

i don't have PM privileges yet

i'll be ordering SAs in prolly a week or 2...and Sams springs at prolly the same time. my reasoning for Sams springs is i would really like to get H&R springs, but they sag in the ass and the 200 # rears get a lot of mixed reviews from track/canyon guys, but the ORRs seem to like them. and sams are light weight...so right now besides a PHR i'm stock (i've been puttin my $ into the engine)

i'm in Diamond Bar...another member Carlos01SS who posted above has GC coilovers with 500 fronts and 150 rears with Sams front/rear bar and koni DAs. that thing is a blast to ride/drive in he doesn't live too far, if you PM him i'm sure he would gladly lay out what he has and if he has time take you for a ride

Too many

otherwise i'll be sure to let you know when i get everything installed and a alignment done

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

You wanna ride in my car, feel free to contact me, sucker kicks ASS!!!
    Best handling Camaro I've ever been in.
    The Black 2001 SS #5697
    T-tops, 6-spd/B&M ripper, ARH LT's/GMMG/CME, Volant, Koni DA's & GC coilovers, Strano frt & rear sways, G2(SFC's w/v-braces, STB, adj PHR), Wilwood 6-piston red calipers frnt brakes w/13" 2-pc rotors, RKSport(clear front & rear corners, c-f grill), chrome Z06 wheels

Too many

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos01SS View Post
    You wanna ride in my car, feel free to contact me, sucker kicks ASS!!!
    Best handling Camaro I've ever been in.
    dude, come over tomorrow so we can put in your rear bar already!!!!!!!!

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

all these different brands - all the parts seem the same aside from price. Which ones are the best? I mean honestly what is everyones perference because most look the same so how do i know which to buy? is there a best part? when should i choose something that is adjustable?

Too many

Quote Originally Posted by StylesMcKnob View Post
    all these different brands - all the parts seem the same aside from price. Which ones are the best? I mean honestly what is everyones perference because most look the same so how do i know which to buy? is there a best part? when should i choose something that is adjustable?

for the PHR i would stay away from BMR..i'm sure they work, but the design is faulty..having an adjustment in the center of the bar is where the stress is on the PHR, some peoples have snapped.

other brands like UMI, LG, Unbalanced Enginering all make great products. aluminum works just fine if you don't want to spend a lot. you def want to make sure you have QA1 rod ends (double adjustable being most preferred)

for springs, do a little research, every spring on the market has different rates which are good (or not good) for different things.

shocks, you can't beat Koni SAs for that price range (or in general..unless you step up to Penske's or Mortons; too much $$)

adjustiility you want in PHR and LCAs (but you really don't need LCAs, they'll make your car a little more harsh to ride in and eventually could become squeeky)

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

The "best" varies depending on the person wants and how much they're willing to spend...

AND, based on who you talk to and what they use, everybody has their own opinion...

See, you could spend anywhere from $2k up to $5k-$6k for suspension components, and that's dependent on what you want your car to do and how well you want your car to handle it...

If you want a GREAT handler, generally speaking, THE biggest purchase you will be buying are shocks...
    Shocks, SHOCKS, SHOCKS!!!

THE most important item you will buy for a great handler...Everything else will be based on again, what you want your car to do, how low you want it(if you want it lowered.), and if you want a competent handler or an M3 killer...

Yeah yeah, M3's are not in the same category, and yes they are fast and handle well, but it's still quite fun ripping up the canyon and watching an M3 owner in absolute SHOCK because I'm right behind him and he can't shake me off!

Call Sam Strano, he will give you advice based on what you want your car to do and how much you're willing to spend.

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

OK heres the nest question - rims.

Whats the positive/negatives of 17in vs 18in rims?

When is a wider rim better?

Too many

17s and 18s are good 'handling' wheels on our cars. serious pople stick with 17s bc they're lighter. others like 18s bc they look better. the wider they are the more tire can hold the road and therefore pull more lateral G's while turning (go faster)..but, on the street it takes more to warm up wider tires so they can actually hinder your performance. so some wide rims are heavier in the wheel itself but also has the added weight of the extra tire on it.

on our cars 17x11s fit on all 4 corners with 315s and minor modifications (assuming you get the right offsets)

i plan on having my stock 10 spoke SS wheels widened to 11" all around..granted i won't be saving weight (rather adding weight), but i like the style of them that much better then ZR1s

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

imo wider is better:

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

damn what size are those?

Blood Red
    Z28

They are 315-35/17's on a 11x17" rim but every tire manufacturer's rubber sit differently on the rim.

So these Yokohama Advan A032Rs measured 12-3/4" with a tape!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Getting 315X35X17" tires on all four corners with some good quality rubber will make your car stick VERY well to the road, will certainly help with handling the twisties, add those with a set of Koni SA's and a 35mm front sway, and if you have aftermarket lowered springs add an adj. PHR to realign the rear end.

You'll have a cornering BEAST!!!

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    They are 315-35/17's on a 11x17" rim but every tire manufacturer's rubber sit differently on the rim.

So these Yokohama Advan A032Rs measured 12-3/4" with a tape!
    copy-cat
    more pix of 17x11 on all corners w/ A032R as well.
    some pix have Kumho V700, though.
    all pix in signature link
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos01SS View Post
    Getting 315X35X17" tires on all four corners with some good quality rubber will make your car stick VERY well to the road, will certainly help with handling the twisties, add those with a set of Koni SA's and a 35mm front sway, and if you have aftermarket lowered springs add an adj. PHR to realign the rear end.

You'll have a cornering BEAST!!!
    Indeed... and it gets worse w/ time... lol
    see, i'm used to R-compounds and 17x11s so now my 17x11s have Hoosier slicks on them and my street tires are now 18x10.5 c6 wheels w/ Nitto NT-01.
    I'm wondering what will be my next move... each move becomes more $... lol

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    copy-cat
    more pix of 17x11 on all corners w/ A032R as well.
    some pix have Kumho V700, though.
    all pix in signature link
    How long should I expect them to last? So far all RR this year but maybe some Auto-X but probably not. <---never say never as I am drag racing this weekend!

I really liked them last weekend at the first race of the season why are they so unpopular in the F-body crowd?

Btw I will probably copy you again and run Hoosiers next as well!

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

Toms Wheels is selling 2 - 17x9.5 and 2 17x11 (+46mm and +45mm Offset) 819 plus shipping. What is the offset and are these good or bad autocross rims? I know they are a little on the heavy side but I cant find any good rims for a cheaper price. I always look for the stock replica rims like the WS6s but I can never find them in a bigger size
    Last edited by StylesMcKnob; 05-29-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

ALSO...

Whats the deal with Sway Bars and Tower Bars?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information