Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Whats a good setup for curves?

This is a discussion on Whats a good setup for curves? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by SIK02SS you definately want some Koni S/As...d/as are too much for a DD (non track car) and ...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SIK02SS View Post
    you definately want some Koni S/As...d/as are too much for a DD (non track car) and blow out faster b/c they are meant to be3 rebuilt and revalved after a race. you def want a double rod ended PHR (not bmr's; bad design and breaks). LCAs are optional, if your doing a lot of track stuff, go ahead and do double rod ended lca's, but for the street they are unnecessary and will mke your ride harder and louder (if anything jus get 1le lca's). springs....this all depends on how low you want it, and how firm you want it. Strano makes a very nice set of springs (that are light and save you unsprung weight) that are perfect for DD, canyone carving, auto-x, etc..hell, people are even drag racing on them. Stranos hollow 35 front 22rear bars are also a very good set of sway bars and are light (hollow; saves you unsprung weight)

stb are unnecessary, and sfc's are unnecessary

reasoning: stb, has been proven to do nothing (on our cars) except add weight that you don't need. but they do make for a good brace to lean on while working under the hood
    sfc's are unnecessary b/c they add weight to the car. if you have a good spring/shock combo it defeats the purpose of them b/c they will be doing the same thing

a tq arm isn't really that necessary either for street driving

to an above poster: if you want to handle better, QA1s are not the shocks for him, they are a drag racing shock (yes they aer adjustable, but its not what he needs)

hope this helps
    yet another sole brain washed by strano i see...

yes, steer away from SFC's b/c dimples from body flex really bring out the paint

stb does nothing? I disagree-upon installation i noticed the car plained much smoother through turns.

The stock Tq arm is flimsy and weak like the LCA's are...honestly would replace them in a heartbeat, unless you'd rather loose the HP through the twisting/bouncing of the drivedrain.
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 05-23-2007 at 11:53 AM.

You can scoop up a set of subframe connectors, lower control arms, and a panhard bar through our group purchase. Aside from these 3 mods, I'd recommend tires, shocks, and a larger diameter front swaybar.
    Last edited by GMS Fleet; 05-23-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Next Race= WSIR 2/26-27 SIK02SS's Avatar
    Too many

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post

yes, steer away from SFC's b/c dimples from body flex really bring out the paint

stb does nothing? I disagree-upon installation i noticed the car plained much smoother through turns.

The stock Tq arm is flimsy and weak like the LCA's are...honestly would replace them in a heartbeat, unless you'd rather loose the HP through the twisting/bouncing of the drivedrain.

sorry, strano has done no said brain washing. i come from a family racing background so i also get to see what does/doesn't work..only on the track rather then the street. i never said the stock torque arms are good/great; but if he's on a budget (like most people) it's not necessary (i would love to throw a UE decoupled TA on my SS, but do i need it or can i afford it? NO)

it makes sense to run stranos sway bars, they weigh less then a solid bar (less weight ='s saved unsprung weight which ='s GOOD)

seat of the pants feel is often in your head and is not an accurate way of measurement... not sayin your crazy, but it happens to everyone with these types of things

a car's springs are meant to reduce body roll, thus reducing chassis flex...a shock is dampen it

so if you have a properly setup car, SFCs are not needed....and if you have a cage in your car (ya, most people don't i know) you really don't need them..

but hey, everyone has there own way of setting up a car..in the end its not my $$ thats being spent on this.

just my .02, not picking a fight

STB does nothing but provide a handrail when working on your car IMO

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

Ive always heard that SFCs should always be the first mod besides an air lid. This is the first time Ive heard different

Too many

Quote Originally Posted by StylesMcKnob View Post
    Ive always heard that SFCs should always be the first mod besides an air lid. This is the first time Ive heard different

there are believers and non-believers...i'm a non-believer

if you're setup correctly, you don't need them. but even for some that do have them, they see no difference with them and end up taking them off. if you get boxed ones they make a good jacking spot though!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

If I would have to do anything over again I wouldn't have gotten my SFC's, but hey, welded on, they're there to stay, so that's that...

I posted this on ls1tech, I thought I got dimples on my left rear fender due to no SFC's, and once I put them on I realized that I actually got more dimples...

Then I found out that I got the dimples simply by using a porter cable DA buffer when polishing my car

So I can't really say that no SFC's will result with dimples, I haven't seen any pictures of any 4th-gen f-body with them prior to installing SFC's, so evidence dictating that they do work is quite slim...

Someone posted on tech to show pics of their quarter panel dimples and no one posted...interesting huh?

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i ran the following on my last ws.6:

koni sa's on 1 below stiffest setting
    stock springs
    35mm front sway
    UMI tq arm
    Nittos
    strut tower brace.

Still felt body flex, still heard the annoying fbody creeks. Bought subframes but killed the car before i could install them [through the curves, mind you]

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

stock springs
    35mm front sway
    UMI tq arm
    Nittos
    strut tower brace.

Still felt body flex, still heard the annoying fbody creeks. Bought subframes but killed the car before i could install them [through the curves, mind you]

RE: fbody creeks, other than the plastic covers where the handles are on the t-tops, I don't have any creaks, so that could be due to the SFC's.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Brain washing? Sam is a national Champion and the set-ups most of us reccomend are race/street proven.

By now the fourth generation cars have been tested enough to know what works and what does not. We know, for instance, our cars like a big (35mm) front bar and a stiffer spring in the front (+/-500-600#), and these set-ups are happy on the track as well as the street.

When new members are looking for advice we tend to give the proven set-ups including shocks, springs, TA's, SFC's, etc.

Ask yourself this:

Would you want advice from a 3-time National Champion or a reality TV star?

Too many

stock springs
    35mm front sway
    UMI tq arm
    Nittos
    strut tower brace.

not trying to be negative, but what i was speaking of about SFCs, is if the car was set up properly...ie: not stock springs. something much stiffer and linear then stock springs like mentioned above. 500+ fronts and 150-200 rears (depending on feel and preference)

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    Brain washing? Sam is a national Champion and the set-ups most of us reccomend are race/street proven.

By now the fourth generation cars have been tested enough to know what works and what does not. We know, for instance, our cars like a big (35mm) front bar and a stiffer spring in the front (+/-500-600#), and these set-ups are happy on the track as well as the street.

When new members are looking for advice we tend to give the proven set-ups including shocks, springs, TA's, SFC's, etc.

Ask yourself this:

4-time National Champion now, as he won AGAIN last year...
    Now THAT'S pretty impressive considering he's running a car that hasn't been made since '02 and he's STILL beating everybody, pretty stinking impressive!!!

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos01SS View Post
    4-time National Champion now, as he won AGAIN last year...
    Now THAT'S pretty impressive considering he's running a car that hasn't been made since '02 and he's STILL beating everybody, pretty stinking impressive!!!
    Very Impressive indeed.

I heard a rumour that for this season Sam was going to to run a new style Mustang, can you confirm that Carlos?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Very Impressive indeed.

I heard a rumour that for this season Sam was going to to run a new style Mustang, can you confirm that Carlos?
    Cannot confirm that...

It makes good business sense though, start driving something that IS in production and make better race-proven components and sell it to the public, keep the business going...

I may not like Ford or Mustangs, but a shitload of other folks have their own opinion, so enhancing that car simply for the possibility of keeping the business profitable makes sense...

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Ask yourself this:

there is more than one road to achieve a goal. besides, i thought sam doesn't run SFC's because he's in a league that doesn't allow SFC's...?

Blood Red
    Z28

there is more than one road to achieve a goal...
    Agreed ts|s, and I for one like SFC's but I am an 'aftermarket parts junkie' as I am running out of things to mod on my car.

... i thought sam doesn't run SFC's because he's in a league that doesn't allow SFC's...?
    I thought that Strano was running ESP last year (which he did win apparently) but I do not know the rules that you guys run in the USA as good as I know the rules in my own country.

Too many

there is more than one road to achieve a goal. besides, i thought sam doesn't run SFC's because he's in a league that doesn't allow SFC's...?

you can't run them in the class he is in. if he did use them they would change him to a modified class (i think)..which would hurt.

but he's also a non-believer in them. they are heavy and add extra weight you don't need if setup properly

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

you can't run them in the class he is in. if he did use them they would change him to a modified class (i think)..which would hurt.

but he's also a non-believer in them. they are heavy and add extra weight you don't need if setup properly
    sooooooo...he's a champion in one class but won't test the waters of another?

Too many

sooooooo...he's a champion in one class but won't test the waters of another?

he did

SCCA Nat'l Champion (x3) (not sure what class this was)
    SCCA ProSolo Nat'l Champion (x2)

Blood Red
    Z28

he did

SCCA Nat'l Champion (x3) (not sure what class this was)
    SCCA ProSolo Nat'l Champion (x2)
    I believe he was the three time champ of F-stock (very few mods)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information