Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

What to do about my brakes?

I feel a pulse in my car every time I slow my car. I think I might have a warped rotor or something, and I want to upgrade my brakes with some new rotors/pads. Maybe even some new calipers if I have the money. I am fine with how fast my car slows down at the moment, but I was thinking of getting some C5 Z06 calipers up front, but those require the adapter brackets. My question for those are, what do I need to do the swap? how big are the Z06 brakes, and how big of a difference did you guys see? Also, for those who just swapped out their rotors, what kind did you get and what were the differences you've seen? thanks for any replies.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I feel a pulse in my car every time I slow my car. I think I might have a warped rotor or something, and I want to upgrade my brakes with some new rotors/pads. Maybe even some new calipers if I have the money. I am fine with how fast my car slows down at the moment, but I was thinking of getting some C5 Z06 calipers up front, but those require the adapter brackets. My question for those are, what do I need to do the swap? how big are the Z06 brakes, and how big of a difference did you guys see? Also, for those who just swapped out their rotors, what kind did you get and what were the differences you've seen? thanks for any replies.
    Definitely sounds like warped rotors.

You can get the entire C5 Z06 kit from the WS6 Store for around $800.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2028

Comes with rotors, new powercoated Z06 calipers and brackets, stainless braided hoses, Hawk HPS pads, and spindle adaptor brackets. The main difference in stopping power is in the rotors, they are 12.8" diameter instead of 11.8" like the stock rotors. The Calipers are basically the same, but the Z06 calipers are pressure cast instead of gravity cast which makes them more structurally rigid. Many people have said they offer a great improvement in braking.

What size wheels do you have?? If you have 18" or larger, there are also other options you can get that will offer even better braking for about the same price, namely the Z06/CTS-V conversions.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

thanks for the info. I have stock C6 wheels. 18's front, 19 rear. I have alot of room.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    thanks for the info. I have stock C6 wheels. 18's front, 19 rear. I have alot of room.
    Then you should be able to upgrad to the CTS-V/C6 Z06 brakes with little issue.

The calipers are a direct bolt on, you can either use the 4 piston Brembos off of an 04+ CTS-V with 14" C6 Z06 rotors, or use the 6 piston calipers off the C6 Z06 with the same 14" rotors. You just need to add washers between the mounting ears and the caliper to space it properly over the rotor.

The most critical thing to check is your caliper-to-spoke clearance. Many guys have had issues with the CTS-V/C6 Z06 calipers being too close or touching the rear of the spokes on the wheel. The solution is to get a spacer and space the wheel out the minimum distance while still gaining enough clearance. Some say that standard C6 wheels (like you have) and C6 Z06 wheels clear without a spacer, but its not confirmed, so make sure to check it first

You can get the rotors and calipers from GM parts direct or eBay very reasonably.

White
    1998 Trans Am

just ordered slottled and drilled rotors, ebc red stuff bads and Earls stainless braided lines. it stops fasters and with the new lines the pedal feel is soo much better. Like night and day from stock.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    just ordered slottled and drilled rotors, ebc red stuff bads and Earls stainless braided lines. it stops fasters and with the new lines the pedal feel is soo much better. Like night and day from stock.
    what kind of rotors did you get?

Thread Information