upper strunt mount (rusted nut issue) ??

This is a discussion on upper strunt mount (rusted nut issue) ?? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; ok guys, i just have a question here that's been brothering me before i install my new springs.. I hear ...

dark blue
    2000 pontiac trans am ws6

upper strunt mount (rusted nut issue) ??

ok guys, i just have a question here that's been brothering me before i install my new springs..

I hear about alot of you guys have been having an rusted nut issue on the upper strunt mount.

Now the question is...is it possible to re-use this upper strunt mount considering how rusty that nut is if i manage to get it off without breaking it, i'm gonna use heat on it (acelyen and oxygen torch)? if not, then is the upper strunt mount a cheap part to replace or is it one of the parts u will need to get the damn car lowered?

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

The GM upper mount is around $119 each!
    Cut the nut off, or the shaft if needed. Then clean up the upper mount to get a good idea if you think the mount is reusable. If the mounts reusable give it a good coat of waterproof grease everywhere, including the upper shock shaft threads, and nut!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Don't buy a replacement one from an autoparts store, their quality is shit.

dark blue

ok cool ok cool, i'll be very careful, give it some heat, dust off as much rust with a dremel, making sure spring compressor intact of course when removing nut, and retap the tread and replace with new or re-use (rechase the tread on the nut if it isn't that badly) and apply waterproof grease in area. k cool thanks

and i heard the rear is pretty simple to swap out the spring? just remove the shock then the spring should be able to slip out?

i'm doing this tonite

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

DO NOT USE THAT TORCH!!!!! My dad and I made that exact mistake on mine. I had to replace the whole thing because the rubber became to hard and cracked, the metal ring where the strut comes through came OUT of the strut mount itself. The part loses integrity with excessive heat. Cut ONLY, no heat if you don't have to.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lee View Post
    ok guys, i just have a question here that's been brothering me before i install my new springs..

I hear about alot of you guys have been having an rusted nut issue on the upper strunt mount.

Now the question is...is it possible to re-use this upper strunt mount considering how rusty that nut is if i manage to get it off without breaking it, i'm gonna use heat on it (acelyen and oxygen torch)? if not, then is the upper strunt mount a cheap part to replace or is it one of the parts u will need to get the damn car lowered?
    whatever u do dont use heat. i did that with mine and it got all messed up. ended up buying two brand new strut mounts from autozone at $60 each. same quality as stock with the exception of where the bolts go in from the top. be sure not to strip it out. i almost did on one of them but saved it.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Exclamation

Yeah, don't use any heat. I would only use heat as a last resort.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Lee View Post
    ok cool ok cool, i'll be very careful, give it some heat, dust off as much rust with a dremel, making sure spring compressor intact of course when removing nut, and retap the tread and replace with new or re-use (rechase the tread on the nut if it isn't that badly) and apply waterproof grease in area. k cool thanks

and i heard the rear is pretty simple to swap out the spring? just remove the shock then the spring should be able to slip out?

i'm doing this tonite
    thought the sticky would have answered most of your questions

how to replace front/rear springs/shock on 4th gen

dark blue

hey guys,

just finished the install yesterday!

The nut on my ws6 was nothing close to how the picture was in the sticky.. thank god, the nut had no rust on it what so ever except the thread had a bit of rust.. some wd40 and impact did the trick without damaging the tread, thank god for that...

thank-you everyone! and the sticky! took about 3 hrs to complete all four corners

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

good deal

Thread Information