Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Upgrading to 3-Point SFCs

This is a discussion on Upgrading to 3-Point SFCs within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I currently have 2-Point SFCs, and I was wondering if getting 3-Point SFCs would net me any noticeable gain. Both ...

  1. #1
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Upgrading to 3-Point SFCs

    I currently have 2-Point SFCs, and I was wondering if getting 3-Point SFCs would net me any noticeable gain.

    Both are Weld-in, just fyi.

  2. #2
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    no not really. gain in what btw ? depending on what you do AX or hpe ...the addition of a 3 point sfc might limit your choice of classes. id stick with what you got.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    If you are running a tunnel mount torque arm I would upgrade to a 3 point. I may do the same eventually. When I bought the UMI 2 point SFC's a tunnel mount was not being considered, but plans have since changed.

  4. #4
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    If you are running a tunnel mount torque arm I would upgrade to a 3 point. I may do the same eventually. When I bought the UMI 2 point SFC's a tunnel mount was not being considered, but plans have since changed.
    That was my thought process exactly...I have a tunnel mounted torque arm...guess I should have put that in the original post.

    How hard do you think it will be to get the old ones off since they're welded on? Would I be able to sell them afterwards?

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    That was my thought process exactly...I have a tunnel mounted torque arm...guess I should have put that in the original post.

    How hard do you think it will be to get the old ones off since they're welded on? Would I be able to sell them afterwards?
    It's going to take some work with a grinder. You'll be sacrificing the SFC's a bit to avoid cutting into your car. I have considered fabricating my own cross bracing and adding it to my existing SFC's.

  6. #6
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    That was my thought process exactly...I have a tunnel mounted torque arm...guess I should have put that in the original post.

    How hard do you think it will be to get the old ones off since they're welded on? Would I be able to sell them afterwards?
    I have no idea about reselling them but getting them off a grinding wheel should do the trick.

    I have the 3 pt. sfc and I love them!
    I have a full length adj torque arm with a relo off the trans.
    In the tunnel I have a lakewood d/s loop.

  7. #7
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    CAnt wait until i can afford the coin formore UMI components

  8. #8
    Member AKA Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    375

    Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    what would be the difference between the UMI 3 points and their Boxed 2 point SFC's?

    The reason I asked is I just ordered the boxed 2 points. I thought they looked stronger [I like boxed steel over the tiny tubular stuff and angle iron]

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    No connection to the tunnel brace.

  10. #10
    Member AKA Speedy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Posts
    375

    Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    No connection to the tunnel brace.
    would that necessarily be a bad thing? That's what I'm asking... Is 2 points better for some things and the 3 points better for others?

  11. #11
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    would that necessarily be a bad thing? That's what I'm asking... Is 2 points better for some things and the 3 points better for others?
    Exactly. I would run a 3 point for an autocross car, if it has a tunnel mount torque arm, or if you are really up in horse power and are looking to diminish chassis flex. For a DD or an occasional track car a 2 point should be more than adequate. Just my .02

  12. #12
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    It should be noted that you lose ground clearance with 3 points. on my current set up with sportlines, the mid points of the 3 point SFC's are very close to the ground and scrape on everything

  13. #13
    Rockin the Ruckus! 02Sweet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Line Lexington, PA
    Posts
    2,670

    NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    It should be noted that you lose ground clearance with 3 points. on my current set up with sportlines, the mid points of the 3 point SFC's are very close to the ground and scrape on everything
    Plus they are HEAVY!

  14. #14
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    It should be noted that you lose ground clearance with 3 points. on my current set up with sportlines, the mid points of the 3 point SFC's are very close to the ground and scrape on everything
    Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    Plus they are HEAVY!
    umi ?

    my three points are awesome...i barely lost any clearance...my exhaust is usually the first thing to hit....before my exhaust my 3 point saved my ass big time....i was turning out of a gas station and i went over a curb...the sfc took the hit and prevented any damage.

    i dont regret getting the umi 3 point for a second...look great underneath the car and give extra protection in terms of flex and debris

  15. #15
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    my car is so low now that driveways and speed bumps that I was barely getting over w/out the 3 points are now almost impossible (I have stock exhaust so no clearance problem there). I'm going to agree with you tho about having the 3 points protecting the bottom of the car. also 3 points are heavy when compared to 2 points. I think that's what the other guy was trying to say

  16. #16
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    my car is so low now that driveways and speed bumps that I was barely getting over w/out the 3 points are now almost impossible (I have stock exhaust so no clearance problem there). I'm going to agree with you tho about having the 3 points protecting the bottom of the car. also 3 points are heavy when compared to 2 points. I think that's what the other guy was trying to say
    i dont know what to say...i never had problems with clearance before my exhaust

  17. #17
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    I'm going to try putting on a larger wheel and tire to see if it helps with clearance. in the back I have 275/40-17 which equals about 25.6 inches. I'm going to change to a 335/30-19 which should be about 26.5 inches. I can't keep scraping my subframe connectors like that or they're going to get destroyed!

  18. #18
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    I'm going to try putting on a larger wheel and tire to see if it helps with clearance. in the back I have 275/40-17 which equals about 25.6 inches. I'm going to change to a 335/30-19 which should be about 26.5 inches. I can't keep scraping my subframe connectors like that or they're going to get destroyed!
    you might get some abs issues ..being 1" difference

  19. #19
    Member xmarkx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    EAST bay area Cali
    Posts
    634

    black
    1999 camaro SS

    is that something that can be dealt with by a tune?

  20. #20
    Super Moderator
    pajeff02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mansfield, PA
    Posts
    21,567

    Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

    Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    is that something that can be dealt with by a tune?

    Unfortunately... no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: 2 point SFCs question!!
    By 98maro in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 01:31 PM
  2. Wanted: 2 point SFCs
    By Sarge91 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 01:54 AM
  3. Question: 2 or 3 point SFCs?
    By stangsr4loosers in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 09:49 AM
  4. Subframe Connectors - 2 Point vs. 3 Point...Advantage/Disadvantage
    By midi_2001 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 12:24 PM
  5. 2 or 3 point sfcs
    By bigcraig987 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 10:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •