Results 1 to 14 of 14

Underbody panels

This is a discussion on Underbody panels within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Its amazing how much one mod (and desire) can affect the whole car. Im trying to get my car ready ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    Underbody panels

    Its amazing how much one mod (and desire) can affect the whole car. Im trying to get my car ready for RR and was wondering if anyone has ever added any kind of belly pans or panels to smooth out the undercarrage so as to make the car "stick" even more at high speeds. This is a DD so keep the recomendations around that please. No "gut it and 12 point it" speeches please lol CArs lowered and i do plan on getting some lind of front splitter or lip and eventually a rear diffuser (6LE style)
    ANy pics would be cool

  2. #2
    Senior Member Z28_Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,017

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

    I would like to see this too. Never saw a belly pan on a 4th gen.

  3. #3
    Member MAXX2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lovelock, Nevada
    Posts
    101

    'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    I would like to see this too. Never saw a belly pan on a 4th gen.
    Would a belly pan really help in your racing or not??? They are not expensive if you do the work yourself, or one can spend some serious $$$s having one built like on the Blowfish Land Speed Racing race car, or for that matter, the Lemans type of cars, and other racing series race cars.

    We have a picture of the bottom of Blowfish, just don't know how to post it in this message board.

    Richard (aka MAXX) and Judy

  4. #4
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by MAXX2 View Post
    Would a belly pan really help in your racing or not??? They are not expensive if you do the work yourself, or one can spend some serious $$$s having one built like on the Blowfish Land Speed Racing race car, or for that matter, the Lemans type of cars, and other racing series race cars.

    We have a picture of the bottom of Blowfish, just don't know how to post it in this message board.

    Richard (aka MAXX) and Judy
    TO post pics you need a photobucket account. THen download pics to Photobucket then copy and paste the "directlink" URL into the "insert Pics" button. Its the button that has a mountain and some kind of ball above it.
    Im willin gto do this myself, just trying to get an idea of where to start. The first thing im gonna work on is making a cover plate for an STS system to cover up the Turbo and smoothe out the rear inot the bump so that the rear bumper doesnt act like a parachute at high speeds lol

  5. #5
    Member MAXX2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lovelock, Nevada
    Posts
    101

    'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    TO post pics you need a photobucket account. THen download pics to Photobucket then copy and paste the "directlink" URL into the "insert Pics" button. Its the button that has a mountain and some kind of ball above it.
    Im willin gto do this myself, just trying to get an idea of where to start. The first thing im gonna work on is making a cover plate for an STS system to cover up the Turbo and smoothe out the rear inot the bump so that the rear bumper doesnt act like a parachute at high speeds lol
    If you could email us (Maybe it's in our profile?), we could send you the pics. We also have a Belly Pan on our LSR Nascar Ford T-bird that runs from the front of the car to the rear of the motor, and this is being extended to the firewall to completely enclose the engine bay from any 'Air' entering from underneath. The M2 team manager is also designing front inner fenderwells to keep even more air from entering the engine bay. Note that the car set the AA/GCT record of 205.886 at the June 2010 ECTA Maxton Mile event in NC.

    NOTE: You can go to our website shown in our profile, and fill out the contact info to reach us. We do have a photobucket account, but prefer that we just email the pics to you.

    Richard (aka MAXX) and Judy


    Last edited by MAXX2; 01-11-2011 at 06:58 AM.

  6. #6
    Next Race= WSIR 2/26-27 SIK02SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Winner's Circle
    Age
    32
    Posts
    201
    Too many

    What kind of road racing are you planning on doing without a cage? Or do you have a cage...?

    A belly pan is also not as simple as creating a smooth surface under the car. Look at real racecars with one or even production cars with them (Ford GT, F360, F430). They all have channels (that were engineered) into it that give the air set places to go. Without this a belly pan can theoretically do more harm than good.

  7. #7
    Member MAXX2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lovelock, Nevada
    Posts
    101

    'Brilliant black'
    1999 Firebird

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by SIK02SS View Post
    What kind of road racing are you planning on doing without a cage? Or do you have a cage...?

    A belly pan is also not as simple as creating a smooth surface under the car. Look at real racecars with one or even production cars with them (Ford GT, F360, F430). They all have channels (that were engineered) into it that give the air set places to go. Without this a belly pan can theoretically do more harm than good.
    You are absolutely 100 percent correct.

    The current Belly Pan as built was probably worth 2-3 MPH on the 'Bad Bird' Record Run. But, as the car reached near 200, the air going between the back of the belly pan and the firewall caused the car to actually scrape the ground. The car made a couple of runs after that, but the promoters made the team take the pan off after it hit the surface.

    So, it was back to the drawing board, but the M2 Team Manager/Crew Chief/Co-Driver Steve Hodge (aka Hodgeman) used a program called Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), and this gave them the specs to use to extend the pan just past the firewall. If you do this wrong on these cars, they will become airborne, which is something you do not want.

    Hope this helps a bit, and not sure how you would design your belly pan for Road Race specs.

    Richard (aka MAXX) and Judy




  8. #8
    Next Race= WSIR 2/26-27 SIK02SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Winner's Circle
    Age
    32
    Posts
    201
    Too many

    Quote Originally Posted by MAXX2 View Post
    You are absolutely 100 percent correct.

    The current Belly Pan as built was probably worth 2-3 MPH on the 'Bad Bird' Record Run. But, as the car reached near 200, the air going between the back of the belly pan and the firewall caused the car to actually scrape the ground. The car made a couple of runs after that, but the promoters made the team take the pan off after it hit the surface.

    So, it was back to the drawing board, but the M2 Team Manager/Crew Chief/Co-Driver Steve Hodge (aka Hodgeman) used a program called Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), and this gave them the specs to use to extend the pan just past the firewall. If you do this wrong on these cars, they will become airborne, which is something you do not want.

    Hope this helps a bit, and not sure how you would design your belly pan for Road Race specs.

    Richard (aka MAXX) and Judy



    And unless you are a CFD engineer, getting that done is very expensive!

    If you're just planning on doing track days (HPDE type events), this is totally over kill and unnecessary..

  9. #9
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    I dont plan on doing the WHOLE car but i want to smooth out parts of the car that can benefit from this. Like the rear of the car that could use some "air channeling". I not too sure about camaros but Firebirds have lower rear bumpers and the part that goes under the car has a space in it that almost acts as a scoop. A diffuser can help but the air coming to it needs a route to get there. Plus i plan on getting an STS turbo kit and a pan would also act as a shield to keep the turbo and some of the rear pipes protected from the elements on my daily driver during ocassional track day visits and normal driving which can be worse then track days at times lol. To keep the car on the ground, a front lip/spoiler, rear spoiler (ta's are bigger), and a rear diffuser to help it all out shoul;d keep my car on the ground most of the time lol i dont plan on any 200mph runs anytime soon. Would be nice but id rather have my stock TA hood on for somthing like that to make it smoother. could do it on the Autobahn if i had the tranny for it. Dont think my little 4l60E is gonna see that ever.

  10. #10
    Next Race= WSIR 2/26-27 SIK02SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Winner's Circle
    Age
    32
    Posts
    201
    Too many

    If you're putting an STS kit in, I wouldn't recommend covering anything..That rear mount turbo will generate A LOT of heat. All that heat has to go somewhere, and with plastic bumpers, rubber/plastic brakes lines, fuel lines, electrical wires, etc all back there, something is bound to melt with all the turbo heat. A heat blanket on the turbo could help, but nothing is 100%.

    Just my .02

  11. #11
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by SIK02SS View Post
    If you're putting an STS kit in, I wouldn't recommend covering anything..That rear mount turbo will generate A LOT of heat. All that heat has to go somewhere, and with plastic bumpers, rubber/plastic brakes lines, fuel lines, electrical wires, etc all back there, something is bound to melt with all the turbo heat. A heat blanket on the turbo could help, but nothing is 100%.

    Just my .02
    From what i heard form guys that own them, the rear turbo setups dont get that hot. I dont know yet so i cant say but I would guess the panel could have some vents made into it.

  12. #12
    Next Race= WSIR 2/26-27 SIK02SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Winner's Circle
    Age
    32
    Posts
    201
    Too many

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    From what i heard form guys that own them, the rear turbo setups dont get that hot. I dont know yet so i cant say but I would guess the panel could have some vents made into it.
    True, vents can be done. To do it right makes it a bit tougher though for doing this at home unless you have the tools.

  13. #13
    The Demon Demon_Z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    648

    Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by SIK02SS View Post
    If you're putting an STS kit in, I wouldn't recommend covering anything..That rear mount turbo will generate A LOT of heat. All that heat has to go somewhere, and with plastic bumpers, rubber/plastic brakes lines, fuel lines, electrical wires, etc all back there, something is bound to melt with all the turbo heat. A heat blanket on the turbo could help, but nothing is 100%.

    Just my .02

    Uhh I heard the issue is that there isn't enough heat from the exhaust to spool the turbo efficiently. Header wrap from the headers all the way back to the turbo really help with the spool. I know this because my friend has a Firehawk with a 80mm BorgWarner Custom rear mount turbo set up. No STS parts are on his car.

  14. #14
    Senior Member JoshuaGrooms83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    1,539

    Red
    98 Trans Am

    If anything the rear panel could help to keep the turbo warmer so that it does spool up faster

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. LT's beating on underbody.
    By Z34LS1 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-07-2012, 08:18 AM
  2. need pic of underbody please
    By grandkodiak in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-05-2009, 11:20 AM
  3. Ebony door panels,headlights,sail panels
    By VENOMOUS in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 08:30 AM
  4. Underbody pics
    By Mieux97 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-28-2008, 07:31 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •