Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2002ssslp

UMI on car adjustable control arms/ panhard bars

This is a discussion on UMI on car adjustable control arms/ panhard bars within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Hello all, I am about the buy a new panhard bar and rear control (trailing) arms for my 02 WS6. ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,324

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    UMI on car adjustable control arms/ panhard bars

    Hello all,

    I am about the buy a new panhard bar and rear control (trailing) arms for my 02 WS6. The on car adjustable parts are looking fairly appealing to me, but am not sure it is the best choice for my use of the vehicle. For a car that is going to see 95% daily driver duties, will the on car adjustable arms/bars be that much better than the non adjustable's? Would the typical alignment guy be able to make effective adjustments for this car with them on them?

  2. #2
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,505

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    UMI on car adjustable control arms/ panhard bars

    Unless you are lowered or going to be doing track/road/autox racing stick with non adjustable and you'll be good.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

    6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

    Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

  3. #3
    Former Mopar Man 2002ssslp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Branchville, NJ
    Posts
    3,111

    Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

    UMI is one of the best suspension companies in the marketplace today and they have specialist in house that can supply you with the right parts. I have done business with them in the past and the tech people will answer any and all questions you have and get you what you need. JMO
    SMWS6TA likes this.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

  4. #4
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,505

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    ditto

  5. #5
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,324

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    UMI is one of the best suspension companies in the marketplace today and they have specialist in house that can supply you with the right parts. I have done business with them in the past and the tech people will answer any and all questions you have and get you what you need. JMO
    I never doubted UMI or their products. My concern was going gung-ho and getting the on car adjustable pieces and the average alignment guy not being able to properly adjust them to their best use, or even worse making the car handle poorly.

  6. #6
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    The rear-ends of the 4th gen cars favor the driver-side straight from the factory. With that, I would get at least the adjustable pan hard bar as it really isn't that much more money than the non-adjustable. I have the UMI on-car adjustable unit and it's really easy to adjust and the quality is great.

    I'm lowered with Strano springs and have BMR lower control arms (non-adjustable) and my wheels to the naked eye look pretty centered within the wheel well from front to back, which is what the LCA's control.
    It's on jackstands.

  7. #7
    Senior Member theorangeguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,434

    Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'15 Hemi Truck

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    The rear-ends of the 4th gen cars favor the driver-side straight from the factory. With that, I would get at least the adjustable pan hard bar as it really isn't that much more money than the non-adjustable. I have the UMI on-car adjustable unit and it's really easy to adjust and the quality is great.

    I'm lowered with Strano springs and have BMR lower control arms (non-adjustable) and my wheels to the naked eye look pretty centered within the wheel well from front to back, which is what the LCA's control.
    100% dead right.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

  8. #8
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,324

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    The rear-ends of the 4th gen cars favor the driver-side straight from the factory. With that, I would get at least the adjustable pan hard bar as it really isn't that much more money than the non-adjustable. I have the UMI on-car adjustable unit and it's really easy to adjust and the quality is great.

    I'm lowered with Strano springs and have BMR lower control arms (non-adjustable) and my wheels to the naked eye look pretty centered within the wheel well from front to back, which is what the LCA's control.
    As long as the typical alignment guy can adjust it right, I dont have a problem with an adjustable panhard rod.

    One of the other threads is talking about their rear LCAs come with oversized boltholes that lead to clanking and other noises. Is this really the case for UMI? Do they offer the proper sized bolt for the hole? It makes no sense to buy a LCA to fix suspension slop, just to have problem due to bolt-bolt hole play.

  9. #9
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    You must have not read my reply to that in that same thread. The holes arent that much larger. You need some oversize to allow for tolerance variation. Otherwise, it wouldn't likely bolt up and align with the existing holes.

    That's the first time I've ever heard of there being noise. Tighten the suggested bolt size to the proper torque spec and you won't have an issue. Thousands of people (probably more) have these installed on their vehicle.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,324

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You must have not read my reply to that in that same thread. The holes arent that much larger. You need some oversize to allow for tolerance variation. Otherwise, it wouldn't likely bolt up and align with the existing holes.

    That's the first time I've ever heard of there being noise. Tighten the suggested bolt size to the proper torque spec and you won't have an issue. Thousands of people (probably more) have these installed on their vehicle.
    So do you really think that GT Eaters situation is an isolated incident? I understood what you were saying, but it still merits consideration to me.
    I just want to make sure that I make the right choices, do the right things.

  11. #11
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    I can't say for certain. I have BMR lower control arms installed (for several years now) and haven't had any issues at all; noises or otherwise. I would think UMI LCA's are identical.

    Several on here have UMI LCA's and can chime in.

    Maybe he didn't torque them down correctly or torque them with the suspension loaded. It just seems odd to me they would rattle at all, regardless of which brand were used. It's possible the holes in the actual car chassis had become larger or oblong from wear over time. Hard to say without seeing his application firsthand.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    As long as the typical alignment guy can adjust it right, I dont have a problem with an adjustable panhard rod.

    One of the other threads is talking about their rear LCAs come with oversized boltholes that lead to clanking and other noises. Is this really the case for UMI? Do they offer the proper sized bolt for the hole? It makes no sense to buy a LCA to fix suspension slop, just to have problem due to bolt-bolt hole play.
    Incorrect. We do not supply oversized holes for any reason. Noise issues are usually loose hardware or running incorrect bushings on the street, such as rod ends. So no worries on incorrect holes here.

  13. #13
    Moderator 35th-ANV-SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wherever life takes me
    Posts
    12,465

    Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

    So the holes in the LCA's are exactly the same size, +/-.000, as the holes that are on the car they bolt to?

  14. #14
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    I know the holes in my UMI roto-joint LCAs appear to be the same size as stock but I haven't taken a digital caliper or a micrometer to either so one could be ever so slightly larger or smaller that you can't tell by eyeballing it.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

  15. #15
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,324

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
    Incorrect. We do not supply oversized holes for any reason. Noise issues are usually loose hardware or running incorrect bushings on the street, such as rod ends. So no worries on incorrect holes here.
    Thanks for clearing that up Ryan. You guys will be getting a call/order from in a couple of paychecks. BTW can I order the mounting bolts/nuts from you guys too? I didn't see anything on the website.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I know the holes in my UMI roto-joint LCAs appear to be the same size as stock but I haven't taken a digital caliper or a micrometer to either so one could be ever so slightly larger or smaller that you can't tell by eyeballing it.
    Our control arm holes will measure .500-.510. This is very close to factory. The factory bolts are 12mm (0.472). The very little play we offer does not cause noise and is standard for all companies. It is gives you .015" a side which is basically thinner than your finger nail. This is needed to help ease the install. I hope that helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up Ryan. You guys will be getting a call/order from in a couple of paychecks. BTW can I order the mounting bolts/nuts from you guys too? I didn't see anything on the website.
    Yes you can. Part # 3001 is for the control arms. Thanks for the order!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Adjustable Lower Control Arms & Panhard Bar
    By 98BlackMambaWS6 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 05:36 AM
  2. Question: Lower control arms and panhard bar
    By 98maro in forum General Help
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 07:15 PM
  3. Question: lower control arms and panhard bar
    By SSMOKEshow in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 10:41 PM
  4. Wanted: Adjustable panhard rod and rear lower control arms
    By smkeater911 in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 09:41 PM
  5. Wanted: Adjustable panhard rod and rear lower control arms
    By smkeater911 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2006, 09:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •