Thread: torque arms

black
    02 vette vert

torque arms

is there an existing thread that deals with pros and cons between trans mounted vs chassis, differences between brands etc. or do you want to offer up your likes,dislikes, problems etc. here? not sure if for a street driven car i should look at anything other than an adjustable stock type mount replacement.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Body mounted will have more noise. Trust me, I've been there. They'll clunk every time you shift if you're six speed. Auto may be better. I had one and sold it a week later. Got a Spohn trans mounted and never looked back. Supposedly a body mounted unit (being shorter) will hit the tires harder and launch a lil harder.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Body mounted will have more noise. Trust me, I've been there. They'll clunk every time you shift if you're six speed. Auto may be better. I had one and sold it a week later. Got a Spohn trans mounted and never looked back. Supposedly a body mounted unit (being shorter) will hit the tires harder and launch a lil harder.
    this is what i was looking for. so you have the arm mounted on the crossmember not the trans. tailshaft,or you got the spohn arm and it mounts in original location? i was thinking about a new crossmember that moves the mount off of the trans. since my tune was done i thought i better firm up this area and replace trans mount also. car is a-4 but i dont really need the super launch.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    this is what i was looking for. so you have the arm mounted on the crossmember not the trans. tailshaft,or you got the spohn arm and it mounts in original location? i was thinking about a new crossmember that moves the mount off of the trans. since my tune was done i thought i better firm up this area and replace trans mount also. car is a-4 but i dont really need the super launch.
    I now have it mounted to the trans in the stock location. I have a UMI TA relocation mount that mounts my tranny mounted TA off the trans and it makes as much noise as the body mounted TA used to. It's collecting dust in my garage.
    Current TA:

UMI relocation mount:

black
    02 vette vert

well, looks like i'm not moving the mount location then. i seriously doubt if i'm going to break the end off of my tranny anyway. it may be that the stock mount utilizes 2 bushings and the crossmember mounts only have one bushing before transmitting to the body, driver. any way, thanks for the good honest advice.
    Last edited by dklowrider; 07-06-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    well, looks like i'm not moving the mount location then. i seriously doubt if i'm going to break the end off of my tranny anyway. it may be that the stock mount utilizes 2 bushings and the crossmember mounts only have one bushing before transmitting to the body, driver. any way, thanks for the good honest advice.

I have the same relocation mount from UMI and has not bothered me one bit. It might be because I am still running a stock arm, but I actually noticed an improvement from before.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Body mounted will have more noise. Trust me, I've been there. They'll clunk every time you shift if you're six speed.
    I've ran my Spohn body mount adj arm for almost 2 years now, haven't had a single problem with it being clunky (and i have a 6 speed), maybe i'm just lucky. But it bolted up to my new 9" and still no noise, no problems! It's a nice unit. But, like with any other part, everyone is going to have their opinion / experiences.

black trans am

if u have a 10 bolt then its going to clunk the moung to the diff on a 10 bolt is just a little bit smaller then a 9 inch or a 12 bolt... i know cus i have a 9 inch with the stock tq arm and its more or less press fit now and my buddy has a tq body mount on his 10 bolt and its lose over the diff just my .02

Thread Information