RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

torque arm/drive shaft safety loop?

Ok, so I have a 1998 Camaro SS Vert, M6. I had already had a non-adjustable BMR torque arm installed. I purchased a drive shaft safety loop off ebay, it's supposed to be BMR (thats what the ad said. it's been repainted) So, I installed the loop today, it was a tight fit. I managed to get it on, but the loop is touching the torque arm, and underside of the car. I mean it's really tight. When I say touching The loop does not touch the drive shaft. I realize I will have vibration/noise from this. However, would this impose a problem? Anyone else have this issue, or is it possible that this is because it's a vert? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any pics?

There are combinations of parts that work... and combinations that do not work. You may have to do a little cutting, grinding and welding to get everything to fit properly. I had issues with my UMI tunnel mount and PST driveshaft. Ended up lopping off the brackets to make it all work.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Directly from BMRs website:

Most tracks require a driveshaft safety loop for cars running faster than 12.99 in the quarter. This NHRA approved loop bolts onto the floorpan using existing floorpan mounting holes. No drilling or welding required. Tunnel crossbrace is designed with a drop down to accomodate lower aftermarket exhausts and y-pipes. Available in Black Hammertone or red powdercoat. NOTE: Not intended for convertibles, will not fit with BMR Trak Pak. Due to the infinite variations of exhaust combinations, aftermarket driveshafts and aftermarket torque arms, this loop may not fit your particular application without shimming and/or exhaust alteration.

The verts have a different tunnel brace than the coupes, and thats why its not fitting well.
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 03-10-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Life In The Fast Lane..!! redracer1's Avatar

Brickyard 400 Trac Car#10
    35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

Just an fyi us vert guys gotta read the fine print.lol. If you're buying off ebay to save some $$, which is cool, you still gotta research the part especially us vert guys. Even contact the seller to ask if it's vert compatible.

RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

Yeah I knew some stuff didn't work with the vert. I got this real cheap on eBay. So at least I could resell it. What is weird the on bmr's website it says the tunnel brace won't fit the vert. This loop with the brace bolts right in no problem. The only problem is the actual loop. I've been looking at it some more and I think with a little fabrication I can make it work. The vert is fun but sometime I wish I just had t-tops. Thanks for the help guys.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinSS View Post
    Yeah I knew some stuff didn't work with the vert. I got this real cheap on eBay. So at least I could resell it. What is weird the on bmr's website it says the tunnel brace won't fit the vert. This loop with the brace bolts right in no problem. The only problem is the actual loop. I've been looking at it some more and I think with a little fabrication I can make it work. The vert is fun but sometime I wish I just had t-tops. Thanks for the help guys.
    I had a vert initially, now have a ttop. There are positives and negatives to both. Best of both worlds would be to have one of each

Its much nicer to have a switch to put the top up with a vert, instead of having to stop, go to the hatch and get the tops etc.

I think you could probably make the loop you have work with your vert too, just takes a lil fabbing like you said

35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

yep doing a little of your own fab work is what makes modding cool and can put your touch on it and call it your own.

RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

Busted out the grinder and made it work. Everything fits fine now. Thanks for the input everyone.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinSS View Post
    Busted out the grinder and made it work. Everything fits fine now. Thanks for the input everyone.

Glad to hear. Certainly beats having to buy a different one and trying to sell the one you have.

35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

Sweet..!!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Any pics?

Blue
    1999 Camaro SS

nice to hear it worked

Thread Information