Torque Arm Bushing

This is a discussion on Torque Arm Bushing within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I'm changing the torque arm bushing on my 2000 SS 6 speed. I removed the stock one, ground down the ...

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Torque Arm Bushing

I'm changing the torque arm bushing on my 2000 SS 6 speed. I removed the stock one, ground down the rivets, installed the new bushing on the arm, got the primary bracket in place, got the arm and bushing in place, got the outer bracket hooked on the primary bracket. BUT for the life of me, I can't get that damn top bolt to catch thread and close the brackets together. I know the thread is NOT stripped because I tested the bolt without any brackets in place. However, that bolt is really tricky and needs to be lined up perfectly for it to catch. So the first couple threads are so-so.

The hard part it getting that bushing to compress between the two brackets. I tried a C-clamp but it won't fit. I'm trying a large pair of channel locks, which kind of helps but it makes the bolt holes off center, so I can't get the bolt square enough. Are there any other things/tools I can try to get this thing to work? I'm probably going to try removing the trans crossmember tommorrow and see if that frees up some space...
    There's just no friggin room to work with,

Thanks

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Is it still a stock torque arm or an aftermarket torque arm? I had to start the top part of my bushing without the aftermarket torque arm in place. I then had to push the torque arm into the bushing. If you are talking about a stocker though, I don't know that that method would work.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Had the same issue with mine. Took a really small friend to thread the bolt while i compressed it..

first off.. get cleaned up... go find the bolt.. and go to a hardware store and find a longer one of the same thread...

problem solved..

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

It's a stock torque arm. Don't most of the aftermarket ones use the same type of S-shaped-ish bushing?

For a longer bolt, don't I have to worry about running out of space in the bolt hole? It looks like it runs right into the side of the output shaft.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Ok I got a new bolt from the hardware store that I'm going to try....thing is that it's not Grade 10.9 like the original...i'ts only 8.8....which I think is OK since the torque spec is 37 lb-ft....does that sound right?? I was able to find a grade 12.9 socket head cap screw, which might be difficult considering it uses an allen wrench.

I can't remember if that bracket shell is supposed to close completely or if there's a gap between the two when the bolt is fully tightened....anyone know?

Thread Information