Thread: Top speed

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Top speed

Got my car back after a week in the shop for various odds and end repairs (Mr. Luos - I had the same problem you had with the turn signal except mine was the right front. I had them put in a new lens assembly I bought and they spliced in a new socket, mine was too far gone) so I decide to take a drive down the Parkway to the Shore to see how she's running. Before I know it, I'm crusing along @ 80 - but so is a lot of other traffic! A guy in an older Acura CL (?, the little 2 seater V6) decides he's going to try to run with me so he pulls up in the next lane. Well, when I get to a straight stretch of road I take it up to 110 real quick. He tries to keep up with me but he backs off @ 95. Good try, but here's my problem: @ 110 with a cross wind of about 20 - 30 MPH the car starts feeling REALLY light! I turn the wheel to try to keep in lane because of the wind but boy, the car feels real dicey - it doesn't want to respond! I back off the gas to bring it back to 80 but for a few moments there it was a** pucker time. What can I do further to the car to help keep my shorts clean? I already have SFCs, a STB, tubular rear LCAs. It's a T/A, non WS-6 with stock 16" wheels. You think better ground effects would help? I haven't lowered the car due to driving clearance problems.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

what is your alignment specs ?
    if it feels light, maybe you need shocks, since they aren't reacting fast enough to the car needs.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    what is your alignment specs ?
    if it feels light, maybe you need shocks, since they aren't reacting fast enough to the car needs.
    I put in Bilsteins all around that I got from SLP with their custom valving about 25K ago. I just got a wheel alignment this past Saturday, don't know the numbers but I can find out what they were. When I get them I'll post 'em. Scary, felt like the front end wanted to lift: turned the wheel but it didn't feel like the car wanted to stay in lane.

Thread Information