Thread: Tire Bouncing!

Awaiting Activation

Red
    1998 Pontiac Firebird

Tire Bouncing!

I have a 98 Pontiac Firebird and I just replaced the shocks. I replaced them because my car just hit 100k miles and the tires sounded like they were bouncing. After I replaced them with bilstein shocks it still sounds like the tires are bouncing. I know that it is the rear passenger side not to sure about the front. I know my sway bar is cracked very little and I just wanna know if that could be making it bounce. Any thoughts.
    Last edited by skidmarks21; 09-04-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

check the lca bushings. The stock stamp pieces are flimsy. Wheel hop is common with the stock LCA's

Check your spring too. make sure it's not cracked or sagging.

Crack sway bar??? explain

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I suspect it is the LCA bushings. After 100k they are ready to retire. I would go with UMI units. Top quality and excellent performance. You will not be disappointed with the price either.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did you check your tires for a bubble or other defects?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Did you check your tires for a bubble or other defects?
    This was my first thought, then LCA bushings.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

GM cars are well known for sway bars cracking where the hole is for the links, it's almost like it is splitting apart.

OP: Make sure you have the nuts on top of the shocks tight. Sometimes toy needs someone under the car holding the shock so it doesn't spin.

Awaiting Activation

Red
    1998 Pontiac Firebird

GM cars are well known for sway bars cracking where the hole is for the links, it's almost like it is splitting apart.

just like cpop98ws6 said

Awaiting Activation

Red
    1998 Pontiac Firebird

No bubbles in tires just bought them and rims are fine

Awaiting Activation

Red
    1998 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post

OP: Make sure you have the nuts on top of the shocks tight. Sometimes toy needs someone under the car holding the shock so it doesn't spin.
    I have all nuts. Do you think that could be the problem cause it is cracked?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Are the shocks correct for the car? Is it lowered? Shocks have to be able to extend and compress from the exisiting ride height in order to work properly. If the car is lowered, the shocks may be compressed upon install once you set the car back down on the ground.

Awaiting Activation

Red
    1998 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Are the shocks correct for the car? Is it lowered? Shocks have to be able to extend and compress from the exisiting ride height in order to work properly. If the car is lowered, the shocks may be compressed upon install once you set the car back down on the ground.
    Everything is correct for the car, No its not lowered. My brother and I installed them and he has done it before on his car (98 pontiac trans am) his name is sirenformula350. The only thing I can think of is my crack sway bar or if its not tightened all the was down.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I can't imagine how a cracked sway bar could cause a "tire bouncing" sensation.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I'm with Jeff on that one, never heard of a sway bar causing that.
    Callies 383, Trick Flow 225, Rapid Motorsports Dominatior 2 X cam, ls6 ported oil pump,42lb injectors, FAST 92/92 , ASP underdrive pully, eletric water pump, Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, Magnaflow catback, e-cutout, Yank SS 3600, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60e, Strange S60 ,4.10s, Detroit Truetrac, (UMI) - Adj. LCA, Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, Adj. panhard bar, Drag bar, subframe conectors, shock tower brace. 465rwhp-438rwtq 11.09@119.90.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The things that control the rear tires and how they are planted to the ground are: Torque arm, lower control arms and shocks/springs. If the tire is new and in good shape, I'd be looking at the lower control arm first (tight/torqued to spec), not bent or damaged, bushings in good shape... then from there the shock/spring installation. Lastly, the torque arm. The torque arm controls the rotational movement of the rear end assembly so it's likely a problem with that would not result in a problem on just one side.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just for giggles, open your hood and your hatch so you have something solid to push on. Go around to all four corners of the car and bounce it on its suspension by pushing down sharply and letting go. See how it reacts and if you can feel a difference at any of the locations.

Awaiting Activation

Red
    1998 Pontiac Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    The things that control the rear tires and how they are planted to the ground are: Torque arm, lower control arms and shocks/springs. If the tire is new and in good shape, I'd be looking at the lower control arm first (tight/torqued to spec), not bent or damaged, bushings in good shape... then from there the shock/spring installation. Lastly, the torque arm. The torque arm controls the rotational movement of the rear end assembly so it's likely a problem with that would not result in a problem on just one side.
    Thanks I will see if any of those are the problem.

White
    1999 Trans Am

I just came across your thread so you may have already solved this. I noticed no one mentioned tire balance. Wheel weights are easy to lose be it brushing a curb, a pothole, or even driving in the rain. I have had this happen to me before where it effects only one tire. Also this condition gets worse as your tires wear.

Thread Information