Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Thinking of getting some suspension goodies...

I'm a suspension newb but i've bee thinking about getting lowering springs (and maybe shocks) as well as F&R sway bars and possibly some control arms. How would my ride be affected by these mods? What are the best bang for buck mods when it comes to stuff like this? What the first mod I should do? mods in sig
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

what are your goals and use for the car ?
    will definitely define what to get.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Dampers (shocks) should be your first mod but if you want springs you will need to match the shocks.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

If your lowering it, you should definately go with an adjustible panhard rod and adjustible lower trailing arms so you can realign the rear end.
    98 FORMULA 6Spd, Zr1 Wheels,
    224/228 .591/.591 113LSA Cam, LS6 Oil Pump,
    918 Valve Springs, Heads Milled .010",
    Ported TB, SD Tune, PaceSetter LT's/ORY,
    MagnaFlow Catback, Ls7 Clutch/Flywheel,
    Hurst Billet/Plus Sifter, BMR Rear Suspension,
    Eibach Pro-Kit
    365 RWHP 373 RWTQ

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I just want it to handle a little better and have a good stance. I never go to the dragstrip or autocross. It's a DD in the summer and I want it to handle better so people can't say its "just a straightline car" anymore.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

I have the entire hotchkis suspension on mine (sways, springs, strut bar, control arms, adjustable pan hard bar). I am happy with the entire set up. I also went with koni's for the shocks. My car is not my daily driver and does not see the track. But it handles way better than it did stock.
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have the entire hotchkis suspension on mine (sways, springs, strut bar, control arms, adjustable pan hard bar). I am happy with the entire set up. I also went with koni's for the shocks. My car is not my daily driver and does not see the track. But it handles way better than it did stock.
    how is the ride? Is it harsh on small bumps? How much did all that cost you?

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

DD
    save on springs, keep stock ones.
    Get Koni SA for the front + Bilstein HD rear, or Koni SA allround.
    W/ Koni SA, you'll be able to lower car by 3/4" due to 2 perch locations and will handle great.
    The shock is a bit more $$$, but you save in springs, and the package is better.
    Get a bigger front swaybar (35-36mm), keep stock rear.
    The car will be more confortable than it is now, will handle much better, and you'll have a great

Also get an alignment once all installed... make sure to align to better specs than stock.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    how is the ride? Is it harsh on small bumps? How much did all that cost you?
    It rides good for being lowered 1". I am very pleased with the set up. The Koni's compliment the springs very well. As far as price it was not cheap. The full hotchkis package cost me $1275 and the koni shocks cost $806. I have had this set up for about a year and half now.

White
    2001 Z28

You could be happy with just some good shocks. I've put together some packages because frankly it's good business sense in the world of the web. However, I prefer a more methodical approach, especially in cases like your when you aren't sure how much you want to go with.

Sure, springs, bars, SFC's, PHB, LCA's, and all that are options, and all have jobs they do (and then there are different types of those products that are best suited for specific uses). But the single biggest problem with the car is the absolutely horrible, terrible, junk DeCarbon shocks. If you aren't sure about lowering, or don't care to, then I'd say let's just roll with some good shocks, and re-assess the car after some time. I assure you, the difference it HUGE. Stability, impact harshness, roll rate control, pitch rate control are all improved by a dramatic amount.

Of note, I would not recommend the old Koni/Bilstein combo we used to run for a few reasons. Most notably that that combo only save you about $40 vs. a Koni 4/3 setup, which isn't worth giving up the adjustment for. And Bilstein has been playing valving games lately and not all HD's are the HD's we used to to use.

Thread Information