Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thinking about getting Spohn Sway Bar Kit.......

This is a discussion on Thinking about getting Spohn Sway Bar Kit....... within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by Sam Strano The difference is big... My front bar is 35mm vs. Spohn's @ 32mm. My bar ...

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    The difference is big...

My front bar is 35mm vs. Spohn's @ 32mm. My bar is about 30% stiffer. My bar is hollow and about 12 pounds lighter than Spohn's front bar is.

Rear bars. Both use a 22mm rear bar. Mine is again hollow, saving some 7 pounds of weight (and it's unsprung weight to boot).

Front to rear balance. I don't think a 32/22 combination is all that good. I don't run it on my car, and my car is meant to turn--and does with proven results. That's not the bag of most F-body parts companies.

And fwiw, your front stock bars are hollow. Because of the size of my front you do add a few pounds, but going to a solid even "only" a 32mm adds a lot of weight to the nose. All the rear bars are solid, so my hollow rear saves weight. A solid 22mm rear vs. a stock solid 19mm rear adds weight.

Does that help clear it up? Yes, my bars cost more, because they cost more to make. Bending hollow is more involved than solid. Also I use some specific hardware on my cars that costs a bit more.
    Roger that.

Thanks for the info!

You will most likely be seeing an order

White
    2001 Z28

Glad I could shine some light on the matter for you.

We also have adjustable rear bars as well (they are newer and most don't know it).

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Glad I could shine some light on the matter for you.

We also have adjustable rear bars as well (they are newer and most don't know it).
    Sam got a quick question for you. I have no suspension modifications done to my car to date, so would the front and rear swaybar combination that you sell be a good starting point to get better handling? And does your set come with directions on installation lol?

White
    2001 Z28

Installation is very easy... just a few bolts really and the new ones go on exactly like the stock ones come off. But if you need help you can always call.

Bars help cars even with nothing else done because they make the car roll less, and unlike springs they are not damped by shocks so you have no issues with not having enough shock to control the bars like you can have with stiffer and lower springs. Plus you don't lose any height, and they really don't effect ride much at all (most never notice a difference in the stiffness of the car because they only work when they are twisted--the car rolls).

To be quite blunt, as always, I usually recommend a shock upgrade first because they are "more bad" than the stock bars are in most cases (not all). It really depends on what you want to change about how the car drives.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information