Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Are these factory shocks/ strange feel

I'm trying to decide if the shocks have ever been replaced on my son's 01 Camaro. It has been doing some weird side-to-side shake (instead of the normal up-down expected response) when the rear would hit a dip and putting the 19" C6 wheels on has really amplified the strange feel. The tires were really worn that were on it so I didn't worry a lot about it until we got the other tires/wheels on this afternoon and test drove it. Now I'm hoping it's a bad shock, if not, what else could it be?

Here is the photo

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Yes DeCarbons are factory shocks.. You may have a bent rim.. Could be a bad tie rod or ball joint.. Can you tell if the shacking is comming from the front or back? Does it get worse under braking?
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-15-2010 at 11:43 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

There also could be a drive shaft balance issue..

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

It's not a shaking/vibration, it's when you hit a dip in the road instead of the car dipping up-n-down as expected, it has a side-to-side feel almost like one shock is working and the other is not or ???? It did it before we installed these wheels/tires, it just seems more amplified now because these tires don't have sidewalls or tire lean to help absorb the feeling.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Superwoody View Post
    It's not a shaking/vibration, it's when you hit a dip in the road instead of the car dipping up-n-down as expected, it has a side-to-side feel almost like one shock is working and the other is not or ???? It did it before we installed these wheels/tires, it just seems more amplified now because these tires don't have sidewalls or tire lean to help absorb the feeling.
    It could be your shocks, DeCarbons where junk new imho. I'd jack it up and support the car and lock the steering wheel then try wiggling the front wheels @ 9 and 3 o'clock then 12 and 6. Then go to the rear and pull in and out on the wheels see if there's a lot of in and out play. CHeck the panhard bar for broken bolts and/or worn bushings. CHeck the sway bars and bushings for damage and/or heavy wear too. Then with the car on stands check to make sure all the bolts in the torque arm are there and tight.. Basicly go over everything suspention wise keeping an eye out for anything that doe'nt look right or seems to have heavy wear.
    Last edited by Smittro; 03-16-2010 at 12:20 AM.

Life In The Fast Lane..!! redracer1's Avatar

Brickyard 400 Trac Car#10
    35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

17" wheel & tire to a 19" wheel & tire also means more weight the stock shocks have to deal with could be why it's amplified the problem. Now you have to find out why. Follow Smittro's advice. How many mile on the car?

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    It could be your shocks, DeCarbons where junk new imho. I'd jack it up and support the car and lock the steering wheel then try wiggling the front wheels @ 9 and 3 o'clock then 12 and 6. Then go to the rear and pull in and out on the wheels see if there's a lot of in and out play. CHeck the panhard bar for broken bolts and/or worn bushings. CHeck the sway bars and bushings for damage and/or heavy wear too. Then with the car on stands check to make sure all the bolts in the torque arm are there and tight.. Basicly go over everything suspention wise keeping an eye out for anything that doe'nt look right or seems to have heavy wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by redracer1 View Post
    17" wheel & tire to a 19" wheel & tire also means more weight the stock shocks have to deal with could be why it's amplified the problem. Now you have to find out why. Follow Smittro's advice. How many mile on the car?
    Yes & yes, good advice and very true. The car has 123K on it and if those are the factory shocks they are WAY past their prime. I thought they might be but both the front and rears looked in great condition physically just a little road film or they would have looked new. I'm gonna go over it this weekend, put on some new shocks and put a wrench on every bolt I see.

NOW, what's a good shock

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Got a budget in mind ?
    SLP Bilsteins $410, and If there within you budget Koni SA's $750 to $850
    Last edited by Blue28; 03-16-2010 at 11:59 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Or another set of standard shocks other than Decarbons. If you don't care for the expense of big name brands. I run KYB's not too pricey and work well with the lighter 3800 f-bodies..

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

I was wondering about the KYB's, just need a good quality shock. Not really worried about how it might help the cornering. Thanks Blue, I had actually searched some previous posts and saw some of your suggestions after I asked for info.... Good stuff

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

I was wondering about the KYB's, just need a good quality shock. Not really worried about how it might help the cornering. Thanks Blue, I had actually searched some previous posts and saw some of your suggestions after I asked for info.... Good stuff
    Well I would'nt recommend KYB's if we were LS1 powered but I have a complete set on both my cars. I use one of their better sets on my z34. But have a set of standard KYB's for now on my 01 Camaro. They are just fine for my mostly stock 3800 Camaro.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I haven't read all the responses but it sounds like your panhard bar is loose. Sometimes the bolt hole ovals out on the passenger side.

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I haven't read all the responses but it sounds like your panhard bar is loose. Sometimes the bolt hole ovals out on the passenger side.
    Good deal, I'm gonna do some checking under there as soon as it quits raining around here

That makes sense, like something has worked loose. Never had a car have this feeling B4. What exactly does the panhard bar do?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Good deal, I'm gonna do some checking under there as soon as it quits raining around here

That makes sense, like something has worked loose. Never had a car have this feeling B4. What exactly does the panhard bar do?
    Keeps the axle from moving side to side..

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Keeps the axle from moving side to side..
    That's exactly what it feels like is happening.

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Well, I replaced the rear shocks today and while I can tell it's better, the problem is still there. Are there bushings in the trailing arms(??) that might be worn maybe cause this type feeling. Or I was wondering if we might have a bad spring. I'm

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well, I replaced the rear shocks today and while I can tell it's better, the problem is still there. Are there bushings in the trailing arms(??) that might be worn maybe cause this type feeling. Or I was wondering if we might have a bad spring. I'm
    You mention you replaced shocks...

Did you check the panhard bar?

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You mention you replaced shocks...

Did you check the panhard bar?
    Yes, all bolts were tight. Is there something else to look for on the panhard bar?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yes, all bolts were tight. Is there something else to look for on the panhard bar?
    The bushings could be worn on it. That's about all I can think of off-hand.

When my car felt like how you are describing yours to feel (swaying back and forth) on the V6 Camaro at highway speeds I could physically move mine around a little even though the bolts were tight. When I loosened it I found that the bolt hole in the bracket was a little egg-shaped. I ended up welding 3 thick washers to the backside of the bracket and then bolted it back up. Problem solved.

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Which side did it egg-shape the hole on? I even tried moving the axle left an right while it was jacked up and didn't feel any play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information