Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Are these factory shocks/ strange feel

This is a discussion on Are these factory shocks/ strange feel within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; When I swapped the factory 16" to 18" I had problems with the rear feeling a little off. I swapped ...

White
    1998 Trans Am

When I swapped the factory 16" to 18" I had problems with the rear feeling a little off. I swapped my to a UMI panhard and lca's and even with those same shocks the car handled muck better. Think the stiffer adj. Panhard made the biggest difference. As far as shock since I was doing BMR spings and spohn sway bar kit I couldn't afford koni's and got kyb agx's and there great shocks I know a few others who run them with factory spings and stano's as well. Everyone I know likes them and for $360 for all four can't beat the price.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

White
    1998 Trans Am

BTW if you want a set of double adj UMI panhard and LCA's I have a spare set with only 3k miles on the before I took the off a Formula I sold. There red powdercoated you can see them at ws6store.com. Pm me

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Superwoody View Post
    Which side did it egg-shape the hole on? I even tried moving the axle left an right while it was jacked up and didn't feel any play.
    Passenger side.

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    BTW if you want a set of double adj UMI panhard and LCA's I have a spare set with only 3k miles on the before I took the off a Formula I sold. There red powdercoated you can see them at ws6store.com. Pm me
    PM sent

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Here is a photo, looks like the panhard bar bushing may be worn. Does it look like it has pushed out of the bracket some where the arrow is?

White
    1998 Trans Am

Factory panhard bars suck anyway.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It sure does look like it woody, but it's hard to tell since the bolt hole location doesn't appear to be symmetrical with the bracket to begin with.

I'll look at mine in the morning and get back to you when i get to work. I need some sleep lol.

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Did you get a chance to look at yours 35th?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Did you get a chance to look at yours 35th?
    I forgot...sorry. I have my car with me today at work though and just went out and looked. I can't see your picture b/c I'm at work and can't see photos hosted by Photobucket etc, but my bushing sticks out a little past the bracket..

If I remember right, yours did too. So it looks the same as yours.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Check your drag-link bushings. What's your side wall height and tire pressure filled to? That tire in the pic looks shot.. Pull the calipers and then pull and push on the axles see if there is exsessive end play. Problem maybe front end related as well.
    Last edited by Smittro; 04-02-2010 at 03:16 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Bright Red
    2001 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Check your drag-link bushings. What's your side wall height and tire pressure filled to? That tire in the pic looks shot.. Pull the calipers and then pull and push on the axles see if there is exsessive end play. Problem maybe front end related as well.
    Yep, tires are not great but it did it with the 16's I took off too. It's just a lot more noticeable with these high performance, WIDE, low profile tires...(but I will double check the pressures) I'll try the end play this weekend but I am heavily considering starting next w/ a panhard bar and then if that doesn't do it get some LCA's next.

I'm getting an adj panhard if/when I do but what are the advantages of adjustable LCA's? Just to get the rear to track correctly or for "track" purposes?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yep, tires are not great but it did it with the 16's I took off too. It's just a lot more noticeable with these high performance, WIDE, low profile tires...(but I will double check the pressures) I'll try the end play this weekend but I am heavily considering starting next w/ a panhard bar and then if that doesn't do it get some LCA's next.

I'm getting an adj panhard if/when I do but what are the advantages of adjustable LCA's? Just to get the rear to track correctly or for "track" purposes?
    You basically only need adjustable LCA's if you plan on lowering your car. Adjustable LCA's keep the wheel centered in the wheel well when looking at the car from the side. The adjustable PHB centers the rear end left to right.

The most important thing is LCA relocation brackets to lower your instant center. This will help with traction.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I had upgrade from 17" stock rims to 18" and when switching lanes at highway speeds the car would feel like it's wagging its @ss. The adjustable Panhard bar fixed this issue. The stock one flexs like you wouldn't believe.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You basically only need adjustable LCA's if you plan on lowering your car. Adjustable LCA's keep the wheel centered in the wheel well when looking at the car from the side. The adjustable PHB centers the rear end left to right.

The most important thing is LCA relocation brackets to lower your instant center. This will help with traction.
    agree. I think I also read somewhere around here our cars where built with the axle slightly more to one side than the other. The only way to correct this I imagine would be an adj. panhard rod.. I never fooled with mine much tho I had it disconnected to do the fuel pump. I'd really like to go fully independant out back when that project starts..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    agree. I think I also read somewhere around here our cars where built with the axle slightly more to one side than the other. The only way to correct this I imagine would be an adj. panhard rod.. I never fooled with mine much tho I had it disconnected to do the fuel pump. I'd really like to go fully independant out back when that project starts..
    You are correct. If I remember right, it favors the driver's side.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I've got my adjustable PHB on the car. Had it offset to one side like a mofo when I first put it on. But it's all good now...

In response to the OP, to make a long story short, gave the car to my buddy so it would pass state inspectioin (), he gave it back to me the next day and told me it had started to vibrate, maybe a trans mount. I said ok. The DD was the Yukon, didn't drive the camaro. So I went to replace the Trans mount and the TA mount with polyurethane ones, also put 17" chrome c6 wheels/tires on, at the same time. I noticed it was almost WORSE

I had to do a little bending on the TA bracket to get the polyurethane bushing to fit in there, but I got it, and it's back to it's original shape and form (90% anyways). However, my TA is twisted. You may want to take a look at all these things as well. Since putting the facotry wheels and tires back on, it's helped alot, but there's still some shake/vibration there. And when turning the car, it seems like the back end wants to "swim around". Next mods are a TA relocation crossmember and an aftermarket tubular TA. And taking a 3rd look at the adjustments on my PHB

Where is Mark

silver
    2000 formula

get some monroe shocks and new poly bushings.........the cheapest route

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information