Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

which sway bars

This is a discussion on which sway bars within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by Siciliano15 so using a solid 35mm bar up front is adding somewhere between 10-15lbs when compared to ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    so using a solid 35mm bar up front is adding somewhere between 10-15lbs when compared to a hollow front bar.
    Not that much considering those numbers where for the front AND rear.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I was going to say! I replaced the bushings on both of mine and I didn't think they weighed more than a couple of pounds a piece.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Unless you are building a Max effort Auto-X/Roadcourse car the extra weight of the solid will not make a huge difference to you or the feel of the car. Now Sam used to only offer his hollow swaybar set and he had them custom manufactured for him (similar to his springs). Seeing that his website no longer list the hollow front I would check with him to be sure they are still available. Also Note that there really are differences in stiffness between hollow and solid bars. I think a rough estimate is a 35mm hollow bar will perform equal to a 34mm or so solid equivalent. So in the end is a matter of weight vs stiffness. The hollow bar is a really good compromise if you are really counting calories and is a great bar as I can attest to. In my current set up I've been more than happy with my solid 35mm front and adjustable solid 22mm, but note that my spring's rates are quite a bit higher than most people run on the street. In the end is a matter of application, cost and taste.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    Unless you are building a Max effort Auto-X/Roadcourse car the extra weight of the solid will not make a huge difference to you or the feel of the car. Now Sam used to only offer his hollow swaybar set and he had them custom manufactured for him (similar to his springs). Seeing that his website no longer list the hollow front I would check with him to be sure they are still available. Also Note that there really are differences in stiffness between hollow and solid bars. I think a rough estimate is a 35mm hollow bar will perform equal to a 34mm or so solid equivalent. So in the end is a matter of weight vs stiffness. The hollow bar is a really good compromise if you are really counting calories and is a great bar as I can attest to. In my current set up I've been more than happy with my solid 35mm front and adjustable solid 22mm, but note that my spring's rates are quite a bit higher than most people run on the street. In the end is a matter of application, cost and taste.
    Like I already said, theres a reason he went to the solid front...Its a few post up...Probably the only way to get a hollow front is in the Tech F/S section.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by squee View Post
    Like I already said, theres a reason he went to the solid front...Its a few post up...Probably the only way to get a hollow front is in the Tech F/S section.
    Sorry missed that!

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    Okay... UMI performance does offer the hollow package still. BUT... it's 70.00 dollars more. what's everyone's opinion on price vs. advantage? would most of you save the money and go with the slightly heavier solid front bar?

Thanks.

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

Even if its solid up front i would without a doubt go with the strano 35mm front and 22 out back. Since ive done this in the past and as well 32mm front and 21mm out back it was a world of difference between the two set ups. Even though you dont take it to a auto-X events when your normally driving and taking turns you can easily tell the difference the car is more solid, turns in quick and hardly has any body roll. Handling is preference and i like the car too have the least amount of body roll, dont care if the ride is too stiff, quick turn in, with slight understeer going into a corner but balances out midway through the corner. Others will prefer a different method and handling characteristics but like i said its preference.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Guts feeling... just get a big front one and keep stock rear.
    But remember that the swaybars are to help balance the car... does your car understeer or oversteer ? what kind of alignment settings you have ?
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    Guts feeling... just get a big front one and keep stock rear.
    But remember that the swaybars are to help balance the car... does your car understeer or oversteer ? what kind of alignment settings you have ?
    I believe this is how I have it set:

camber: -0.5
    castor: +4.5 (stock)
    toe: 0

triple-black

alignment is good..

q1. what springs are you using ? have the rates ?
    q2. does your car understeer or oversteer ?
    q3. what shocks are you using ?

Artic White
    2002 ws6

alignment is good..

q1. what springs are you using ? have the rates ?
    q2. does your car understeer or oversteer ?
    q3. what shocks are you using ?
    a1. I'm running the Hotchkis spring setup
    a2. I'm not really sure, I don't race it enough to know (yet). I would guess that the rear breaks before the front but I'm not certain at all.
    a3. Koni SA's

triple-black

I wouldn't change the SwayBars until you know for sure how the car behaves @ the limit... and I don't mean making it snap by either forcing a understeer or undesteer situation.
    You need that info before you're able to make a good choice on how to correct an issue that you don't know you have in the first place.

As a starter, I'd make sure the settings on the shocks are optimal and go from there.
    No point dishing $ in the car that might not require any change.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I run a 00mm front sway bar and the Spohn 22mm out back.

Artic White
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I run a 00mm front sway bar
    ??????? ?????????

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
    ??????? ?????????
    IE no front sway bar.

Artic White
    2002 ws6

IE no front sway bar.
    allright... I'm new to all this. I know there's a reason, so why would someone not run one? I'm very curious....

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by architect7 View Post
    allright... I'm new to all this. I know there's a reason, so why would someone not run one? I'm very curious....
    It lets the front end come up more when launching at the track. Most guys at the track (drag) have this removed. Surprisingly I don't even really notice it's not there on the street so I just leave it off. There's about a 45 page thread on this subject on LS1Tech.

triple-black

I run a 00mm front sway bar and the Spohn 22mm out back.
    that is for drag only... and if you intend to start cornering, you'll notice that the rear-end will tend to pivot around the front at every chance it has... I wouldn't recommend it.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

that is for drag only... and if you intend to start cornering, you'll notice that the rear-end will tend to pivot around the front at every chance it has... I wouldn't recommend it.
    Never noticed.

triple-black

Never noticed.
    either you don't push it enough in the corners to notice it, or you also have skinnies in the front that will limit grip in the front as well when cornering.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information