White
    1998 Camaro

Suspension Upgrade need advice!

So I bought some Strano lowering springs. Now I'm looking to buy some shocks. I'm probably going to go with Koni 4/4. Does anyone else have an opinion on what shocks to get? Lastly, I'm finally putting on my 94-95' OEM ZR-1wheels on my ride. I know this question kind of falls out of the suspension forum here, but does anyone know if I need to offset to fit the ZR-1's under there, since I’m lowering the car anywhere from 1”-1.5”? Or do I just need to massage the wheel well with a hammer? There dimensions are front: 275/40/17 rear: 315/35/17.
    Last edited by Octavain; 02-03-2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Bad Grammer, lol.
    -Aaron
    Mods: SLP Flowpac Cold Air Induction Package, 160 Thermo, TB bypass, SLP (Clutch, Pressure Plate, Flywhell), Skip Shift Elminator, UMI (SFC, Tower Brace, LCA, Torque Arm, Panhand Bar), no cats, Moser 9" w/ 3.89 gears, 5.0 short throw, Strano Springs, Koni single adj, '94 OEM ZR-1 wheels

black
    1998 trans am

he has them on sale at the moment. Good deals!!

White
    1998 Camaro

I saw that today on his website

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Octavain View Post
    So I bought some Strano lowering springs. Now I'm looking to buy some shocks. I'm probably going to go with Koni 4/4. Does anyone else have an opinion on what shocks to get? Lastly, I'm finally putting on my 94-95' OEM ZR-1wheels on my ride. I know this question kind of falls out of the suspension forum here, but does anyone know if I need to offset to fit the ZR-1's under there, since Iā€™m lowering the car anywhere from 1ā€-1.5ā€? Or do I just need to massage the wheel well with a hammer? There dimensions are front: 275/40/17 rear: 315/35/17.
    As far as needing to hammer your wheel wells are concerned it all depends on the tires you are putting on as well as the offset of the 315's.

You said you are using OEM rims which, if true measure, 17x9 which in not a good rim to use a 315 tire. Did you have them widened?

White
    1998 Camaro

The rear wheels are 17X11

Here are some specs I found of the wheels onlie.

1994-1995 (zr1)
    front 17"x9.5" 56mm (7.4" backspacing)
    Goodyear Eagle GSC, P275/40ZR-17
    rear 17"x11" 36mm (7.4" backspacing)
    Goodyear Eagle GSC, P315/35ZR-17

Not quite sure what the 36mm and the backspacing measures.
    Last edited by Octavain; 02-04-2010 at 04:05 PM.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I'm interested in some opinions on this too. Spring project is to replace factory struts with Bilsteins, but I am interested in lowering the car (Strano Lowering Springs).

I'm a straight-line performance guy, but I respect and enjoy a well-balanced car. I love the look of a lowered F-body but I am worried about driveability issues after lowering. Running 315's like the original poster, I'm worried about rubbing in the rear (Either against the fender or the interior of the wheel well). I don't anticipate issues with a 'firmer' ride, I'm more concerned with any mechanical/space consequences of lowering.

I'm running a pretty common setup:

Front:
    Torq-Thrust M Series
    Size: 17'' x 9''
    Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4.75''
    Offset: 45mm

Tires: Nitto 555
    275/40/17

Rear:
    Torq-Thrust M Series
    Size: 17'' x 10.5''
    Offset: 44mm

315/35/17

I also have American Racing Long-tubes with a catted y-pipe. This setup tucks EXTREMELY well, but by nature of the design hangs a little lower than factory.

The car is driven purely for fun, cruising and some strip time, about 2000 miles per year.

Anyone running a similar/same setup with any insight or advice?

Thanks for any perspective.

Nick

White
    1998 Camaro

I'm looking for some robber for my ZR-1 Wheels. Do you like your Nitto's "See Me In My GTP"? I was thinking either go cheap with the sumittomos or go with something that might last a little longer Nitto's 555.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I have been really happy with the Nitto's. I don't put a lot of miles on the car anymore, but when I'm out it's hard driving. The Nitto's hook well, are a great tire for the track and have held up well (wear-wise) given they're performance tires. There aren't a ton of 315 options anyway (as I'm sure you know), and they are certainly worth the extra money compared to the Sumitomo's.

I had Sumi's on another car a few years ago, and while they will get you where you need to go for a fair price, there's nothing at all special about them. If money is a factor, they are fine tires, but I personally would upgrade to a Nitto tire or something similar.

I will probably go to 555R's next time around since I don't have to drive the car in bad weather.

White
    1998 Camaro

Thanks for the input! I'm sold on the Nitto's Do you currently have any issues of your rear wheels rubbing at all on the wheel well?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

TTT for Clearance Advice - Lowering w/ 315's

Octavain,

Under normal driving and hard straight-line acceleration I have experience NO rubbing issues at all. That's after ~5,000 miles of driving.

During extremely hard cornering, I have noticed a slight rub that I believe is from the outer lip of the fender on the inside of the turn slightly contacting the edge of the wheel. Again, this is under hard driving conditions, through corners.

I have an STB and SFC's to stiffen the chassis, for reference. I was hoping that Strano's springs, with the increased stiffness would cancel out the impact of lowering the car (i.e. reduced suspension travel from stiffer components would negate the cons of a lowered car - clearance and rubbing issues).

TTT for anyone running lowering springs (preferably Strano parts, but any input is appreciated) who are also running 315 or wider rear tires. Any negative side-effects to lowering the car?

EDIT: I forgot to add, the Torque Thrust's are 10.5" wheels, as opposed to your 11" ZR-1's, so there may be an issue there. However, I have read/heard that the 555's tend to sit 'smaller' than other brands with different tread patterns. The same size tire should have less of a crown and extension past the lip of the rim given you have an extra 1/2" of surface area, but I'm probably getting pretty anal and the setup should be similar enough.

Thanks,
    Last edited by See Me In My GTP; 02-09-2010 at 02:22 PM.

white
    02 SS

Quote Originally Posted by See Me In My GTP View Post
    I'm interested in some opinions on this too. Spring project is to replace factory struts with Bilsteins, but I am interested in lowering the car (Strano Lowering Springs).

I'm a straight-line performance guy, but I respect and enjoy a well-balanced car. I love the look of a lowered F-body but I am worried about driveability issues after lowering. Running 315's like the original poster, I'm worried about rubbing in the rear (Either against the fender or the interior of the wheel well). I don't anticipate issues with a 'firmer' ride, I'm more concerned with any mechanical/space consequences of lowering.

I'm running a pretty common setup:

Front:
    Torq-Thrust M Series
    Size: 17'' x 9''
    Offset: 45mm

275/40/17

Rear:
    Torq-Thrust M Series
    Size: 17'' x 10.5''
    Offset: 44mm

315/35/17

I also have American Racing Long-tubes with a catted y-pipe. This setup tucks EXTREMELY well, but by nature of the design hangs a little lower than factory.

The car is driven purely for fun, cruising and some strip time, about 2000 miles per year.

Anyone running a similar/same setup with any insight or advice?

Thanks for any perspective.

Nick
    To further prevent you from getting the wrong suspension setup I would recommend you calling and talking to Sam Strano of Strano Performance. This guy has a plethora of knowledge on shocks and setup. I talked to him the other day and let me tell you he is not there to sell you product. He is there to steer you in the right direction to get the best possible setup to suite your needs. Just my .02 cents!

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

/\ +1 for Sam, he's talked to me many many times about my car's setup

Thread Information