Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

silver
    2000 camaro ss. 2002 pont

suspension parts

Ok so this is probebly a dum question but I have a 2000 camaro ss standard. I want to keep it stalk hight and I'm only gonna he using it as a street driver no track or racing. So is it pointless to buy new rear lower control arms, a tubular k member and New sway bars? Basically I wanna improve the way it looks underneath and get rid of some of the old suspension parts. But would putting the rear control arms make my car clunky sounding on the road?

silver

Anyone ?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by wands View Post
    Anyone ?
    Besides looking sweet id definately replace the LCA`s the stock hollow factorys are shitty! They are not that expensive and you can feel the differance in stability i think! also do the Panhard rod bar(adjustable,double if possible) It wont make your car clunky sounding at all .It will improve your everyday driver even if you dont plan on taking it to the track or race it-just the everyday corners and freeway stability it will give you is worth it!..The LS-1 members say they like UMI products and to go with their ''roto'' design ! Do it you wont regret it.

silver

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Besides looking sweet id definately replace the LCA`s the stock hollow factorys are shitty! They are not that expensive and you can feel the differance in stability i think! also do the Panhard rod bar(adjustable,double if possible) It wont make your car clunky sounding at all .It will improve your everyday driver even if you dont plan on taking it to the track or race it-just the everyday corners and freeway stability it will give you is worth it!..The LS-1 members say they like UMI products and to go with their ''roto'' design ! Do it you wont regret it.
    Ok thanks for the advise, how about the tubular k member I've heard that they are not as strong as the factory ones and can break sometimes, would it be a waste of money to replace9

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by wands View Post
    Ok thanks for the advise, how about the tubular k member I've heard that they are not as strong as the factory ones and can break sometimes, would it be a waste of money to replace9
    Im not sure on that because once you change the K memeber youd probably wanna do the whole front end too? I mean if it were up to me AND i had the money id re-do ALL my suspension ,the whole car!! But that would be some big bucks.Also like you said earlier your not gonna track or race it so id do some of the other suspension parts before id do the K.

silver

Yeah, I replaced my front lower control arms already but I used stalk
    Replacement parts that came with the ball joints.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^ Yeah UMI is one of the sites sponsors and they could help you figure out whats what,,also any of the other members are helpful and have already done their suspensions,but i think your on the right track.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have all UMI tubular suspension components on our car and it is running at stock ride height. The difference in firmness and feel is very noticeable. The stock suspension pieces are all stamped steel and are very prone to flex. No issues that I am aware of with the tubular K-member. It is over 20 lbs. lighter than the stock piece and quite heavily built. Here are some pics from the install earlier this year:

Black
    99 Trans Am

I've had a -not so good experience- with rear lower control arms that are poly. Might want to research that before you jump into that. I had some dangerous oversteer issues with the poly.... especially at higher speeds on curves on the highways.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Can you elaborate, please? I have poly bushed suspension components installed on three of our cars, including the Trans Am, and have never had any issues.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm interested also as I also have poly ends on some of my component pieces and haven't experienced any issues either. Been on the car 4 years so far.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    ^^ Can you elaborate, please? I have poly bushed suspension components installed on three of our cars, including the Trans Am, and have never had any issues.
    Definitely will .... don't want to steal the thread but since it is on topic, the problems that I've experienced are consitant with what is written in this article: Myth-information.

With 230,000 miles on the car and the original shocks and springs, I didn't experience oversteer.
    * I changed the shocks and springs with stranos/billsteins, strut tower brace, LCA relocation bracket and panhard bar. It wasn't until I put on the poly LCAs (Founders) that it began to feel dangerous and loose. I even emailed Founders about it and their response was and I quote, "I would start by raising your control arms up one hole and see what the car does first. Dropping the rear of the arms to far will give a toe out in turn feeling from the rear."

I am intrigued that they are working well for you guys.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Dropping the LCA's changes the instant center. It is done to help the car gain traction on launch and really has no impact upon its handling. I run mine in the lowest hole and have zero issues on the street. In fact, there is no noticeable difference in handling between settings.

Black
    99 Trans Am

Dropping the LCA's changes the instant center. It is done to help the car gain traction on launch and really has no impact upon its handling. I run mine in the lowest hole and have zero issues on the street. In fact, there is no noticeable difference in handling between settings.
    Makes sense as it handles the fore and aft of the axle. As for the poly bushings, I've read that it's a poor material for articulation as well as binding issues. I feel that there must be some other problem(s) since it's working well for you.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have my LCAs installed in the second to bottom hole. Car dead hooks with good tires from a roll in 1st with a lot of power and 4.11 gears. It also handles really well when cornering.

I don't recall ever having over-steer.

What tires are/were you running?

Black
    99 Trans Am

I'm running FirestoneFirehawk Wide Oval Indy 500s. I think the BF Goodrich G-Force sports were better - which is what was on the car before.
    As for the LCA brackets, I think I only have 2 holes to choose from and I'm on the lower hole.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I always grease the face of the bushings and apply anti-seize to the bolts. Once installed, the proper torque is 75 lb.ft. on the bolts both front and back.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Have poly too so i was intertested in this thread Thanks Guys^^^^^^^ good to hear no real problems cause ..hell i already bought them years ago and hate when i dont do my homework and something ''better'' comes along andi have buyers remorse..LOL... as to the talk about what ''holes'' you were all running i take it you have installed LCA re-location brackets...because of you lowered your cars?...I didnt lower car yet so when i did LCA`s..i just used the stock location and figured when i get around to the springs and lowering id do it then. I also have poly> Energy Suspension= motor mounts,trans mount.torque arm bushing besides the LCA,and panhard.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

I always grease the face of the bushings and apply anti-seize to the bolts. Once installed, the proper torque is 75 lb.ft. on the bolts both front and back.
    What kind of grease do you use..i think mine recommended teflon? I couldnt find it..but from lookin @ the UMI website i noticed some of theirs for sale.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The Moser 12 bolt on our car has welded relocation brackets with three hole choices. Top is stock and the bottom two are for more bite at the track.

Not sure exactly what the grease is -- it comes with the poly bushings and is super sticky clear lubricant. Absent that, chassis grease would work just fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information