Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Suspension Mods to Handle 500rwhp?

Hey everyone! So my 98 z28 has 138k miles, and i imagine i'd be getting a new engine in the near future. I'm hoping for this future engine to have at least 400rwhp. And i imagine throughout its life i'd give it some upgrades, so lets say it will someday have 500rwhp. So, i need my camaro's suspension to be able to handle the power. Right now i have a pretty much stock suspension. I have koni single adjustable shocks up front, non-adjustable bilsteins in the back, and some thicker sway bars, thats it.

So, i'd like to start making my suspension parts list, what can you all tell me?

Pewter Metallic
    '02 WS6 M6 - The Reaper

I have an 02 ws6 lq9 stroker puttin 550 to the ground and my suspension handles it fine

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

depends on what you are going to do..strip etc .....if you really want to get into it i can list just some of the things you will need to replace chassis/driveline/suspension ...it wont last long if you just slap a new engine in there...especially with your mileage

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

yeah thats what i'm thinking. Its going to be my DD, so idk if my Koni Single Adjustables and Bilsteins can handle the hp. Seeing as its my DD i'd want it to be able to turn and handle well opposed to a straight line run haha

red
    2000 Z28

Since it's your daily driver, you're going to need some planning. Start with the stuff that's going to make your everyday driving experience better. That's going to be shocks and tires.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

well i am sure your shocks will be able to handle the power..konis are the best..with blisteins (sp) being in many's eyes the second best.

to make your car handle 500rwhp plus..you will be looking at really good tires (i will be running nitto 315 DRs out back on my bolt on) it will be a must for you.

subframe connectors would also be wise..3 point being the better of the 2.

beefed up trans (especially if you are a 4l60e) t56s can handle that power pretty well stock..but depends on your shifting habits etc.
    if 4l60e ...a stall will be needed.

a new rear end ..a 9" would be strongly suggested ..especially if you are a m6 man.
    a 12 bolt, dana s60, mwc fabbed 9, moser m9 and so forth will work.

a new torque arm will be a must..one that is moved off the tailshaft.

panhard bar, lower control arms and a relocation bracket would be wise

a driveshaft loop would be a good investment also..safety first

that is just a things that come to mind..there is much more that i am sure i am forgetting.

so basically anything stock in terms of suspension ..will need to be changed...that is why they say to build suspension up not engine down

Life In The Fast Lane..!! redracer1's Avatar

Brickyard 400 Trac Car#10
    35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

Your Koni SA's up front will be fine unless you want to upgrade to DA's but that's some major $$. Get the Koni SA's out back at least. You'll need to lower your center so some Strano spring will help & 1.25in drop. With that much potencial hp a long adj. TA would help + on car adj phb to get the rear centered after lowering along with some adj. lca's and relo brackets to help with wheel hop and get it to the wheels. If you stay stock size wheel/tire/rear diff. you may not need adj. LCA's but with 500hp on tap do yourself a favor and just get adj. LCA's cause you'll need em to get all that new hardware re centered. Other options are 2 point or 3 point weld or bolt in sfc's and some 35/22 sway bars. I'd recommend going through Sam Strano for all your parts and also recommend using UMI and there new roto-joints where applicable. You can do all or as little as you need as your HP increases. Just start with a good spring/shock combo and build on it from there. If you're serious about 500hp there's some weak points and some suspension parts imo should be purchased after major upgrade like an entire rearend or at least mention what your future mods will be so as not to buy parts twice. Example: Certain suspension parts dont work with long tube headers and others do and to the point where if you went with Kooks LT's you'd need a specific part like a UMI torque arm. So plan well my friend, be patient, research, install, enjoy...happy modding.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

thanks everyone, this is gunna be a tough build for me haha

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't see any mention of a clutch. 500+ I would look at Textralia, Monster and then Spec...in that order if you're an M6.

Life In The Fast Lane..!! redracer1's Avatar

Brickyard 400 Trac Car#10
    35th Camaro SS/LE Vert

True, but that doesn't have much to do with suspension.lol. But you're right Monster Stage 3 fo sho. Buddy of mine just put one in he's forged with a D1 560hp+ on 9lbs boost.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by redracer1 View Post
    True, but that doesn't have much to do with suspension.lol. But you're right Monster Stage 3 fo sho. Buddy of mine just put one in he's forged with a D1 560hp+ on 9lbs boost.
    True I guess...technicality!

But $5000 in suspension mods won't do much good if you can't even make the car go lol.

I have the Spec Stage 3+ and I wish I would have went a different route now, but oh well. hopefully it holds with about 550 and 5500 dumps.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

I have a centerforce stage 2 clutch currently and absolutely LOVE it. Although I have just around 300rwhp at the moment not 500 haha. And i have to keep in mind that 500rwhp is just how much i would like to have SOMEDAY. I'd like to take a step about 400-450rwhp tops, then take the next step to 500rwhp+ much later down the road when i have enough experience and an iron grip on those steroetypical teenage impulses. So the 500rwhp will most likely be after college in 3 years haha

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have the Spec Stage 3+ and I wish I would have went a different route now, but oh well. hopefully it holds with about 550 and 5500 dumps.
    It will.

For about 40 passes.
    Ask me how I know....

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    It will.

For about 40 passes.
    Ask me how I know....
    I would worry about that darn Tru Trac he has too I cant believe yours is still going and mine is probably toast.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I would worry about that darn Tru Trac he has too I cant believe yours is still going and mine is probably toast.
    Something back there clunks.
    Pretty damn sure it is the LCA's though.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

i'd say shocks + brakes.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    It will.

For about 40 passes.
    Ask me how I know....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Why you guys raining on my parade?

Thread Information